Regular Cycling Shoes Vs Tri-Cycling Shoes?

yarravalleyplodder

Regular Cycling Shoes Vs Tri-Cycling Shoes?

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi All

as a noobie who is looking at his first tri I am wondering about transitions and it has dawned on me I might need a different pair of cycling shoes?

I currently have a pair of shimano r86's similar to these
http://www.this link is broken/shimano-r087-ro ... ing-shoes/

But should I get a pair like these with the velcro strap?
http://www.this link is broken/shimano-tr31-tr ... ing-shoes/

I guess I am wonedring what people's adivice is over transition in getting into your shoes and getting out of them. I did think I just put them on but I can imaging it would be a bit of a bugger running in them and you dont want to foul up the cleats.

Any advice on this from those more experinced to myself would be greatly appreciated

cheers :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

whitey

Re: Regular Cycling Shoes Vs Tri-Cycling Shoes?

Postby whitey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I just use my regular shoes. Run from transition to bike mount usually not far and often on grass. Enjoy the tri. Great fun.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks. On reflection I think it would be wise to just put my shoes on, it could end up damaging to the ego trying to slip into my shoes like a pro in my first few tri's :P

Better people have a laugh at my dodgy running style in my shoes than me falling over at zero kph :oops:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:50 pm

I did my first couple of events in MTB shoes (with MTB pedals) because that was all I owned. Actually gave me a bit of an advantage running into and out of transitions (and perhaps a disadvantage on the actual bike leg because of less effective energy transfer and increased shoe weight). I saw a couple of people slip over because of exposed cleats.

Re: tri shoe vs normal road shoe: I dont think they are any easier to walk / run in, just have a single velcro strap instead of a triple. That's cos the fast triathletes leave their shoes clipped into their pedals and run barefoot through transitions, and put their shoes on after they have mounted the bike outside of transitions. So in short, I don't think you need new shoes. I will be trying my next event in normal road shoes, but don't plan to leave them clipped on the bike into and out of transition.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:56 pm

I think your right, especially for the first couple of tri's, actually see if its an issue for me and if I really want to save a few seconds doing it like a pro.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:43 pm

I have the same sort of shoes. I also will be using these in my first tri. Until i get half good and try to start working on time i don't see the need to have 2 pairs of shoes

blatant

Postby blatant » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Tri shoes have a soft "sock" like lining so you will be more comfortable putting them on with wet/bare feet. Depends how competitive you are. I spend the extra minute drying my feet and putting socks on because 1 minute for comfort isn't going to really effect my result that much.

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:34 pm

sorry in advance for the thread hijack- so ,how does it work, ive got tri shoes as my regular, but im wondering do you get out from the swim leg and run to your bike and change your gear at your bike or run to your gear, get changed for the transition and leg it to your wheels and then head off? if you need to run in your shoes to the bike, cant you wear cleat savers and take them off when you get to your bike so you dont chew them up?
steel is the real deal.

vander

Postby vander » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm

I think most people have there shoes already clipped into there bike they grab there bike run barefoot with it. At the end of the transition they jump on it and ride the first bit on top of their shoes then when they have a bit of speed slip there feet into their shoes.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Naah, I use those same shoes. I leave the bottom strapped up normally, loosen the middle strap and make a 'loop' with it, then click the top strap in one click, and move the tounge to the side so it stays in place. Hop on the bike and pedal for a bit (practice this, be in the big chainring so it's easier), then once you're at about 20kph, grab the back of the shoe, and slip both feet in. Then just push the strap for the buckle down nice and snug, and adjust the middle strap. Sounds tricky, but it's only a handful of seconds slower than the tri shoes. Might as well put the extra hundred bucks towards a TT helmet, bike fit, or few sessions with a coach instead; they'll definitely help you go faster :)
What are these salesmen peddling?

-Stefan-

Postby -Stefan- » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 pm

How do you run back into T2 with your shoes on the pedals? You don't struggle because the shoes are 'dangling' around on your bike?

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 pm

-Stefan- wrote:How do you run back into T2 with your shoes on the pedals? You don't struggle because the shoes are 'dangling' around on your bike?
When you're riding, you should take one foot out and put it on the shoe, then do the same for the other, so your feet are on the shoes when you ride into the 'dismount' area. Then sprint to the bike rack and hang it up. There's more important things to worry about than some shoes banging about on the pedals! :wink:
What are these salesmen peddling?

deadcat

Postby deadcat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am

tri bike shoes are different to road bike shoes.
ease of entry and exit being paramount

johnnyc

Postby johnnyc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 am

mark field wrote:sorry in advance for the thread hijack- so ,how does it work, ive got tri shoes as my regular, but im wondering do you get out from the swim leg and run to your bike and change your gear at your bike or run to your gear, get changed for the transition and leg it to your wheels and then head off? if you need to run in your shoes to the bike, cant you wear cleat savers and take them off when you get to your bike so you dont chew them up?
As already mention, you generally jog in your feet with the shoes on the bike.

I recently tried running in my shoes (sans cleat savers) and went to turn into the transition area and axed myslef hard when my cleat slipped on the concrete. (ouchies).

Cleat savers would need to be removed prior to getting on the bike (as there is always a run bit) then sto9wed, then put back on for the run bit back to transition. Too much fiddling I think