Cappelli vs reid Condor Fixie/single speed

East

Cappelli vs reid Condor Fixie/single speed

Postby East » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi

I'm trying to decide which of the above bikes to buy the Reid condor is $199 and the Chappelli is $395 I know abit about Reid cycles and for the price it'll probably suit the riders needs (it's a present) and it's mainly for short 10 - 20km city rides. Problem being I know nothing about Chappelli except they look really pretty. Can anyone offer an insight into if the extra money will be well spent?

Thanks

HLC

Re: Cappelli vs reid Condor Fixie/single speed

Postby HLC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:53 pm

East wrote:Hi

I'm trying to decide which of the above bikes to buy the Reid condor is $199 and the Chappelli is $395 I know abit about Reid cycles and for the price it'll probably suit the riders needs (it's a present) and it's mainly for short 10 - 20km city rides. Problem being I know nothing about Chappelli except they look really pretty. Can anyone offer an insight into if the extra money will be well spent?

Thanks

Both crap.

But if it's a gift? Who cares.

In that price Bracket - Hasa Fixie from cycling deal is the best. Still not great, but better than those 2.

reid_cycles

Postby reid_cycles » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi, it's James Reid from Reid Cycles here.

To clarify, the Reid Condor at $249 is our entry-level geared/road bike. The singlespeed bike most likely being discussed in this thread is our $199 Reid Griffon which would do what you want. If you wanted a faster and more reliable bike, I would recommend upgrading the wheels to Alex DA-16 Rims with a Formula sealed bearing hubs for just $60 (total $259). In other stores, these rims sell for more than the bike itself.

For a much higher quality Fixie check out our Harrier which you can get with sealed bearing wheels for $349 for a limited time. This has a double butted chromoly frame, Tektro brakes, Lasco cranks, Alex rims, VP sealed bearing bottom bracket, VP headset and pedals.

Feel free to test ride any of our bikes instore in Melb/Syd/Brisbane.

Regards,
James

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:32 pm

HLC wrote:Both crap.
I think you have to backup this type of comment. I don't know if you are implying that these are both poor value for money at this price point for entry level fixie / single speeds (and in which case why) or whether you have higher price brands and bikes in mind and using this for comparison.
Cycling is in my BNA

johnnyjoejoejr

Postby johnnyjoejoejr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:54 pm

It would only be a matter of time before the 'true cyclists' jumped on and slagged both.

I've recently looked into both, and ordered a Chappelli for a few reasons. I thought the Chappelli is a better-looking bike, I liked the option of the 3-speed hub, and I found the customer service better with Chappelli. Will my descision come back to haunt me, I'll have to wait and see.

I'm not bagging Reid at all, merely splitting hairs. I test rode the Reid on a weekend, sales guy might have wished he was somewhere else (completely understand), appearance is purely personal preference (prefer gunmetal grey over neon). As far as I can tell its a decent whip, they seem to sell well.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah i'd also struggle to recommend either of these. I really don't like the spec on the Condor, the components are what can only be described as "very entry level". I've also heard first hand from people that i have spoken/emailed with of some the mechanical problems associated with this bike after a few km's which screams stay away. The Aquila and Osprey aren't as bad but still can't say they are great bikes. I However can say the Falco range Reid sells are very good so if you can spend a couple of hundred more you can get yourself an excellent bike (e.g the Falco Sport model).

I haven't seen the Chappelli's in the flesh before so hard to comment on those. They look a nice enough bikes but very hard to compare with the Reids as they are such different bikes with fixie single speed and 3 speeds (and also Steelys which would make them pretty tough). I haven't ridden a single speed steel bike for such a long time and the Chappelli Nero 3s (3 speed) is pleasing on the eye but you would really need to test ride it.

So after re-reading the original post again Id say its a massive mistake to buy any bike without the rider being involved in the purchase (i.e as a present, unseen and untested). You are better off buying a helmet or accessory as a present or along with a gift voucher for the deposit of a bike (think Reid does gift vouchers).

Anyway just my opinion.

regards, Rod.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:13 pm

PS - Nice to see Mr Reid commenting. Thats got to be a coup for BNA. Good to see you active in the community James. Can only be good. Nice one.
Cheers. Rod.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Tom@Chappelli

Re: Chappelli vs reid Condor Fixie/single speed

Postby Tom@Chappelli » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi,

I'm Tom from Chappelli Cycles.

I just wanted to clarify one thing that Rodneycc said about the Chappelli Single Speeds and Three Speeds which is that since 2011 all the Chappelli bicycle frames have been Chromoly not steel. I agree with Rodneycc and James that test riding is far preferable to buying a bike sight unseen so if you are interested in a Chappelli you can visit our showrooms in Melbourne, Sydney and soon in Brisbane and take one for a spin.

However, unfortunately its not always possible to get to a store to see a bike in the flesh, so my advice if you are looking at buying a bike online is to do your research on forums like BNA and sites like http://www.singlespeedgoldcoast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and carefully read the return policy of the site as some offer a free return period if you're unhappy with your purchase.

Cheers
Tom