Armstrong formally charged by USADA

twizzle

Re: Armstrong formally charged by USADA

Postby twizzle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

BrettGG wrote:I understand that there are plenty Lance haters out there and that is understandable. Hate him if you must as an athlete, but you have to take your hat off to him for what he is doing for cancer awareness.
I dislike him for his arrogant/sociopathic attitude, and I also questioned how funds raised for an event were completely absorbed by the running costs of said event, which raised (for me) a lot more questions about his marketing and income streams.

And how relevant to the rest of the world is his brand of "Cancer Awareness"? The rest of the world is not America where, unless you have medical insurance, you can kiss your rear goodbye and where everyone involved in the medical industry puts their hand out before talking to you. In most countries there are already a stack of support groups to help you navigate the process.

Is "Livestrong" a good thing? Yes. Is Lance a good thing? Probably not. Stop trying to link the two.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:22 pm

hazmat5765 wrote:Good post BrettGG.
There are haters and there are supporters.
Rob.
Wow, pick a side. Your with us or Against us! I reckon this has been a pretty tame thread considering the subject with mostly rationale posts not seeing a lot of hate.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Rob.
Okay let me rephrase that, I didn't have the time to write a big post being between jobs.
Someone had said on a previous post that they were unsure where all the funds to Livestrong had gone and what good it was doing anyone. BrettGG pointed out some positives which I thought was a good post!
What I should have said is that there are haters, supporters, non-supporters and people that stand somewhere in the middle as interested spectators like Oxford, which I acknowledged.
Rob.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
DavidTomic wrote: I actually just took that as a silly joke when I first read it, but (as always) a quick Google search reveals some very interesting things!
Thanks Dave :D Not a huge fan of straight juice, I wonder if borscht counts? Grated into salad? Straight from a tin like yummy purple lollies?

Shaun
Roasted in the oven. The tinned stuff all has added sugar.

Your strongly couloured pee is quite a give-away though.

edit: typo.
Last edited by twizzle on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:45 pm

hazmat5765 wrote:
Rob.
Okay let me rephrase that, I didn't have the time to write a big post being between jobs.
Someone had said on a previous post that they were unsure where all the funds to Livestrong had gone and what good it was doing anyone. BrettGG pointed out some positives which I thought was a good post!
What I should have said is that there are haters, supporters, non-supporters and people that stand somewhere in the middle as interested spectators like Oxford, which I acknowledged.
Rob.
Fair enough
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 am

All systems are go! http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doping- ... trong-case

Looks like Mr Bloodstrong will have his day in court.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:56 am

It's certainly going to be interesting. Lance is well resourced and unlikely to let it rest.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:14 pm

norbs wrote:Good read...
Attacking people and trying to discredit them is what Armstrong does best.
As the USADA proceeds with its case, the witnesses, testimony, and evidence will come to light and it is very possible that many things that Mr. Armstrong does not want the public to know about him will become very, very public.
I hope so :|
Oxford wrote:I wonder if found guilty, whether the FBI/USDA or other US law enforcement agency will revisit their investigation given that US Postal a US government agency sponsored many of LA's TdF wins?
I don't believe it was the evidence gathered that led to the case being dropped, other factors at play. I doubt very much that the US Government will revisit this regardless of how the USADA proceedings go down. I've been wrong before though :)
FPR Ragamuffin

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:53 pm

liamb

Postby liamb » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:06 pm

good timing to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! up Cadels title defence. USADA must hate Cadel as well as Lance.
If Hincapie did cheat and has admitted in court or under oath it why hasn't he and the others been done by the UCI and IF big George did cheat BMC need to kick him off the team right now.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I wonder if convicted whether any of Lances' "corporate partners" will seek monetary damages.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:20 pm

gururug wrote:I wonder if convicted whether any of Lances' "corporate partners" will seek monetary damages.
You mean 1 Insurance company? :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:25 pm

liamb wrote:good timing to courier up Cadels title defence. USADA must hate Cadel as well as Lance.
If Hincapie did cheat and has admitted in court or under oath it why hasn't he and the others been done by the UCI and IF big George did cheat BMC need to kick him off the team right now.

Bill
Really, it did seem too much of a coincidence that Hincapie announced he would retire at the end of this season about the same time as the ASADA announced the charges against Armstrong. It's funny also that I thought Jonathon Vaughters loud denounciation of drug use and his treatment of Matt White seemed suspicious since he was an Armstrong team mate during the same period. Now it seems that he is somewhat of a hypocrite, and probably should not be allowed to be involved in team management.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

liamb

Postby liamb » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:33 pm

The rumor is that Lance wants to go into politics at a high level in the US and this USADA thing is a way to tarnish him as the people who he will run against feel he is universally liked in his home state. I guess if the sponsors are linked to the opposition to his run at politics they would have a go in the most litigious country in the world.
Its funny a bloke I went to high school with studied to be a paralegal and moved to the US. For the last few years he has been on a team of researchers employed to try to discredit Lance (He recently quit and came home because he felt it was lacking evidence and a witch hunt). He was pressured for up above (his words) to make sure he found evidence.
When he quit and left he felt they had nothing on him and the statements of riders that lance "doped" isn't really enough in a real court or trial because there is no positive drug test to back it up, but he did mention that the USADA is a law unto themselves. He estimates the USADA spent nearly 1millon us dollars retesting old samples and still hadnt found anything at the time he left.
The scariest thing is that if Lance goes down and Big George goes down on Statements given by ex-team mates with no evidence to back it up, by association Cadel could and would be done for doping (in the US if USADA decided they didnt like him anymore) becasue he rode with Big George (supposedly a drug cheat) and by association he is a drug cheat. Both Lance and Cadel (and Big George) have never tested positive so according to USADA you only need a Statement by other riders to ping you.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Patches

Postby Patches » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:44 pm

"Report: Hincapie, Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Zabriskie, Vaughters give evidence against Armstrong"

'Four former teammates of Lance Armstrong will receive six month bans after they confessed to doping and testified against the seven-time Tour de France winner, according to De Telegraaf.

George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer, Christian Vande Velde and David Zabriskie are said to have given evidence in the USADA investigation which has charged Armstrong with doping. All four riders are currently taking part in the Tour de France, but in recent weeks, USA Cycling revealed they opted not to be considered for the Olympic Games.'

From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... -armstrong

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Hincapie testifying vs Lance is BIG :shock:

Now on ABC as well

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-05/u ... tion=sport
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:03 pm

So they are happy enough to dob in Lance and see him take the fall even though they were in it with him, and obviously using the same substances, just so they can get off with a slap on the wrist.

Pack of weak turncoats. :roll:

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:05 pm

So ... how much longer is Lance going to maintain his denial?

Does anybody think that he's ever actually going to come clean? I have my doubts ...
Last edited by DavidTomic on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Hope this doesn't affect BMC's performance today. :|

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:16 pm

CommuRider wrote:Hope this doesn't affect BMC's performance today. :|
BMC's performances have been uninspiring to date........

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Can imagine the sledging George will get today, dope cheat etc.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:So they are happy enough to dob in Lance and see him take the fall even though they were in it with him, and obviously using the same substances, just so they can get off with a slap on the wrist.

Pack of weak turncoats. :roll:
I think it was rather brave of them to provide evidence against Lance Armstrong given his history of bullying anyone who suggested he doped. The don't get off with a slap on the wrist but a six month ban. Remember that Lance Armstrong is accused of being the ringleader so his punishment must be harsher.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:35 pm

biker jk wrote: I think it was rather brave of them to provide evidence against Lance Armstrong given his history of bullying anyone who suggested he doped. The don't get off with a slap on the wrist but a six month ban. Remember that Lance Armstrong is accused of being the ringleader so his punishment must be harsher.
I'd also think that it's a lot more serious considering that;

a) He was the actual winner of these events, not just a supporting rider.
b) He's raked in tens of millions of dollars on the basis of his image/legacy/whatever else you want to call it ...

(And I'm not talking about the money donated to his charities here ... I mean Armstrong's personal income.)

RonK

Armstrong formally charged by USADA

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Hope this doesn't affect BMC's performance today. :|
BMC's performances have been uninspiring to date........
On the contrary - they gave done exactly what is required.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...