Repco Appreciation Society

cray-

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby cray- » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:43 pm

schuberj wrote:
cray- wrote:...a bunch of trouble with tyres on the old Araya 27" wheels so gave up and switched to the second hand 700c Most Chall's as below (Pinarello house brand, re-badged Novatec/Joytec ex.Taiwan).
Very nice. Out of interest, did you respace the stays to get the wider hub in? Looking at doing that at the moment and wondering about other people's experiences.
Cheers, I think the difference is 126mm vs 130mm? I actually switched the hub from Campy to Shimano freehub and in the process I combined mismatched end caps to bring it closer to 128-129mm. All I did was slightly prise the stays apart by hand while inserting the wheel. Didn't take much effort, cold setting definitely not required.

The dia-compe brakes also had plenty of adjustment in them to drop the pads down. The shifters are friction, not indexed so the jump from 6 to 8 speed only required some tweaking of the rear derailleur limits. A painless switch, no permanent modifications required.

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:50 pm

The Vertex TT arrived earlier this week and I finally got around to having a good look at it.
All parts appear to be in good working order with just a little corrosion here and there.
As you would expect the brake lever hoods are old, sticky, and splitting. Toast. :?
The frame has a few small dents which is OK, but there is extensive paint scratches and chipping and the bare metal has been untreated for so long that it has a fair amount of surface rust in those spots. :? If it was a Superlite, you'd either rattlecan it, or just keep walking and leave it for some other schmuck to deal with. :wink: But, it's a Vertex TT, and I do love a TT bike! I stripped it down this afternoon and it's all pretty good except for the left BB cup which is stuck in there good and tight. I have is soaking in a pool of INOX and it should come out tomorrow without too much difficulty. Seat and seat post are not original so they are history. Chunky Bike Ribbon tape to be replaced with Cateye tape.
There seems to be some difference of opinion about the original saddle. Some say it was a matching yellow Turbo, others say it was a standard black Turbo.
I already have a yellow SuperTurbo, so it's getting a minor upgrade. I don't like my chances of finding the original SR fluted seat post with the black strip around the top, so I'll look for something similar. At least it's a 27.2. Rear rim is not original. Can any other Vertex owners tell me what rims were/are on their bikes? The front 26" rim is a polished silver Araya box section tubular. I'm just assuming that that was the original, but I'm not 100% certain.

So, the big question is..........
Do I find some touch up paint that is near enough to the right colour and touch it up , here & there & there & there & there & there & there & there & there & there & there .... :roll: you get the point, OR do I sell the house to afford someone like Paint My Bike to do a resto paint and replica decals? I don't suppose anyone has some blue/yello repco decals lurking around? Nah, didn't think so. :P

Well, I guess you're all more interested in the photos anyway.
Here are some "before" shots. Will keep you updated along the way.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 pm

nice one, paul. i also have one, but it needs some front forks. i can't wait to get it up and running, but with a 700c front end, it's unrideable.
catalogue shows a yellow turbo (but no 'turbo' logo's), and araya 16b tubular rims. mine has neither of these, as they have been replaced.

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 pm

hey funnybike, good original score, pity about it being chucked in the corner of the shed all those years and getting scratched.
if you wanted to spend several hundred on a paint job and seeing as you're in Bris, just call Joe Cosgrove.
http://bikingbrisbane.com/?p=945
7 steel bikes and counting

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 pm

On that auction site there are a couple of older Repcos...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROAD-BIKE-RE ... 27c89258b2
Sydney….Hmmm…if only it was a 25” Frame

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Road-Bike-Re ... 2a1f7ef6c6
Crap description and photos, early 90’s model, QLD local pick up only

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28-REPCO-SUP ... 2a1f817b7c
in Brisvegas Buy the NISHIKI OLYMPIC 12 instead.

Given the above prices why would you spend money on a Traveller.

Rob

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:22 pm

funnybike » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:50 pm
“Vertex TT arrived earlier this week”

+1 I like it. Suggest it is a 1987_1988 Bike.

Rob

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 am

oi, go away, that Olympic 12 is mine! :x

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:40 pm

funnybike wrote:
............... Can any other Vertex owners tell me what rims were/are on their bikes? The front 26" rim is a polished silver Araya box section tubular. I'm just assuming that that was the original, but I'm not 100% certain.
My 1988 Vertex came with a yellow saddle but i cannot recall the make.
It came with Araya 700C tubulars. My rear Araya was prone to loosening of the spokes which would result in buckled wheel :(
In early '89 most of the club racers were switching to clinchers and so the Araya's were replaced.

Munga has a nice Vertex which is in good nick except for a rogue gearing system that comes from the north of Italy.
He would probably be able to give you some good advice about those paintwork scrapes if you contact him or attend a local retro-ride.
I love the apparent perfect state of preservation of your SuntourSprint RD
Mine works well but has lost a lot of bark- a few "incidents" over the years!

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:54 pm

there is a bloke in Kelvin Grove in Brissy who has 2 repco superlites for sale. He is looking to clear 'em out quick so you maybe be able to make an offer for 'em. both are around 55 -58cm in size. in half decent nick too. I think he has a few other ads on gumtree as well.

Here is one of the ads he put up.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kelvin-g ... 1003931020

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:53 pm

That looks nice, even in thumbnail mode. Feels weird having one bike right now (itch, itch...)
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Supersteel

Postby Supersteel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 am

Hi,

Can anyone confirm 1991 was the year Repco started the coloured shape graphics on the seat tube on the red and white Superlite?

Has anyone tried to upgrage the drivetrain on one of these old bikes to a modern 10sp cassette fitted to a new rear wheel, and do you reckon it would be possible to fit a new Tiagra crankset to a 1991 Superlite?

I can feel a project coming on.....

Cheers

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 am

elantra wrote: My 1988 Vertex came with a yellow saddle but i cannot recall the make.
It came with Araya 700C tubulars. My rear Araya was prone to loosening of the spokes which would result in buckled wheel :(

I love the apparent perfect state of preservation of your SuntourSprint RD
Mine works well but has lost a lot of bark- a few "incidents" over the years!
Thanks elantra. So, it looks like the front wheel is all original. Nice. Now I just have to find an old Araya 32 hole tubular rim.
The group is in surprisingly good condition considering the state of the frame.
I don't think it was ridden much, but was probably stored in the shed with the mower and got banged around a bit.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am

Supersteel wrote:Hi,

Can anyone confirm 1991 was the year Repco started the coloured shape graphics on the seat tube on the red and white Superlite?

Has anyone tried to upgrage the drivetrain on one of these old bikes to a modern 10sp cassette fitted to a new rear wheel, and do you reckon it would be possible to fit a new Tiagra crankset to a 1991 Superlite?

I can feel a project coming on.....

Cheers
I am working on almost the same project at the moment, 1990ish Eurosport upgrade to 6700 105. From what I have researched so far the cranks should fit without any issues (assuming correct thread) as the width and diameter are the same, just the bearings are outboard. Rear hub is only 4mm wider (130mm vs 126mm) so choices are respacing the hub (if you have enough clearance for the cassette and chain), forcing the wheel in or respacing the rear stays on the frame. I am doing the latter as the bike will be a commuter and I want to be able to change tyres easily and will probably be using Sheldon's respacing method (http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html).

Supersteel

Postby Supersteel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Joe Cosgrove in Brisbane can re-space the rear dropouts of a Superlite to fit a 130mm wheel. Tick. This old Superlite is going to get a nice lick of paint.

Next question... does anyone know where to source new 26.6mm diameter seat poles. The usual websites seem to sell wider ones only.

Cheers
BC

singlespeedscott

Repco Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Supersteel wrote:
Next question... does anyone know where to source new 26.6mm diameter seat poles. The usual websites seem to sell wider ones only.

Cheers
BC
eBay is your best source. Just type "26.6 seatpost" and you'll find a huge choice. Just make sure you get the right length.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Supersteel wrote:

Cheers
BC
eBay is your best source. Just type "26.6 seatpost" and you'll find a huge choice. Just make sure you get the right length.
But if you want one this afternoon you will have to go to a bikeshop :D

There is a bikeshop on the northside of brisbane that is renowned for having hard-to-find stuff on the shelves.
It is called Ridgeways Cycles, i think the suburb is Everton Park.
I was there a few months ago to buy a 26.4 seatpost.
That was after i had been to my usual bike store (St. Lucia) and they had a 26.6 but no 26.4mm.

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Rob74 wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROAD-BIKE-RE ... 27c89258b2
Sydney….Hmmm…if only it was a 25” Frame
Went for $122 but the auction reeked of shill bidding, the guy obviously didn't want to take less than $100 for it and pumped up the bids early with a separate 0 feedback account, the same account used to jack up the bids on his previously listed items. Add postage to Perth and it was a bit too rich for my blood. Hope it's going to a good home, though the bid history of the winner is a bit worrying.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

cray-, report it. why do people do it? if you want $100 for something, start the auction at $100. it's not rocket surgery.

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:49 pm

munga wrote:cray-, report it. why do people do it? if you want $100 for something, start the auction at $100. it's not rocket surgery.
eBay charge the seller more if the start price is not 99c, higher price, bigger fee. But they also removed the option to have a reserve, which I always found stupid, like you say, just put the start price at the minimum you're willing to take. Report it? No point, eBay don't care at all, the more an item sells for the bigger their percentage cut.

Anyway this should of gone in the eBay whinge thread, lets get back to Repco's. Anyone on the Gold Coast want something to sit on while watching le tour? Actually I think it would be pretty awesome if someone pimped one of these out with fresh paint, chrome and decals.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burleigh ... 1004077119

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 am

cray- wrote: I think it would be pretty awesome if someone pimped one of these out..........
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burleigh ... 1004077119
Aerospoke, and the new Campy aero crank.

rusco

Postby rusco » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 am

Hi All

New here and just made my way through the 72 pages. Did not plan on becoming abbsessed with Repcos but I now have Two bikes and a frame all with in about three weeks.

First one is a Repco Superlite,
This one is in the process of becoming a three speed internal hub and has a few french bits added. Not sure on the final handle bars but not the ones pictured.

Second one is a mint Superlite frame
Not sure what will happen to this.

Third is an Olympic 12, running at the moment but will become a single speed with a new paint job.

Have found this thread super useful and look forward to sharing my repco obsession with you all.

cheers

Russ

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:50 pm

The Olympic 12 looks to good to molest :o

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:The Olympic 12 looks too good to molest :o
i agree.
as a repco fan, i say keep the original paint, coz once it's gone, its worth so much less. it just becomes another "can anyone identify my bike?" thread in years to come.
if you really can't deal with the colour, put it away till you change your mind, or sell/swap.

rusco

Postby rusco » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:29 am

munga wrote:
jbchybridrider wrote:The Olympic 12 looks too good to molest :o
i agree.
as a repco fan, i say keep the original paint, coz once it's gone, its worth so much less. it just becomes another "can anyone identify my bike?" thread in years to come.
if you really can't deal with the colour, put it away till you change your mind, or sell/swap.

Hi Guys, I actually like the paint, I really mean that I may get it restored back to the original. The paint appears to be pretty faded which I guess is normal for the age of the bike. Some of the stickers have also seen better days. I like the idea of a really vibrant fluro pink. I am guessing that this must be a later one than what was posted on here a few pages ago as the stickers are slightly different.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 am

rusco wrote:Hi Guys, I actually like the paint, I really mean that I may get it restored back to the original. The paint appears to be pretty faded which I guess is normal for the age of the bike. Some of the stickers have also seen better days. I like the idea of a really vibrant fluro pink. I am guessing that this must be a later one than what was posted on here a few pages ago as the stickers are slightly different.
Think it's an '87, that was the year when they changed the style of the bike names but had not yet changed the Repco decals. You might find that the pink colour is as it was too, fuchsia was a lot brighter than pink (which I think this is).

Also agree that it is a great colour, I appreciate these more and more with the boring look of most modern bikes. Seems "women's" bikes are the only ones that come in decent colours these days!