Heart attack - it can happen

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Leiothrix

Re: Heart attack - it can happen

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Beer is made out of barley juice, hop juice and yeast*. All natural ingredients -- wholegrains, herbs, all good stuff.

And everyone says people don't drink enough water -- beer is ~95% water . . .

toolonglegs

Heart attack - it can happen

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Glad your getting back to 100% Dave.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks for the update, Dave. Glad to hear things are progressing well.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 pm

natural ingredients? try eating 100 apricot kernels twice a day for a week, and see how dead you end up.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 pm

PawPaw wrote:natural ingredients? try eating 100 apricot kernels twice a day for a week, and see how dead you end up.
mmmm...cyanide

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm

200 apricot kernels per day? That would be hard on your teeth :?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Saw this on cycling news - rider ha heart attack aged 30.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 am

HI all

Glad you got through it Dave.

Some 13 years ago, I had a similar thing happen. I was at work, just walking up some stairs, and I felt a pain (similar to indigestion) in my chest. It got to a point that I simply was unable to even stand.

Work called an ambulance and I was rushed to Concord Hospital and put into Coronary Care and administered a drug called TPA. As I lay in the emergency room, a doctor leaned over and said. " Sir, you are having a heart attack". My reply? "That can't be possible, I am only 33". Afterwards, the doctors tested me for everything, and all they could say is that they couldn't explain why it happened.

Well it is, it was and fortunately, I am still here. That was in 1999. I gave up smoking on that day, I eat significantly better, and while I would like to lose some weight, I don't believe I am significantly overweight.

It turns out that all of us build up plaque in our arteries. I had an argument with the fool that called himself my boss that morning. A piece of plaque in the rear artery to my heart flaked off, and blocked the artery, thus causing the heart attack.

I ride 2-300km per week now, and if I can't ride the bike I must admit, I get quite agitated. I enjoy the racing, but the gradings and people who believe a voucher for $20 is more important than sportsmanship has changed my opinion of racing of late.

I can assure you all, that after talking to the doctors there, unfortunately, it can happen to anybody.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am

I knew a guy who died of a heart attack at 33. He was a non-smoker, got some exercise with touch football and had an active job. His father died a at 41 of the same thing.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:04 pm

r2160 wrote:It turns out that all of us build up plaque in our arteries. I had an argument with the fool that called himself my boss that morning. A piece of plaque in the rear artery to my heart flaked off, and blocked the artery, thus causing the heart attack.
Artery plaque is now thought the be caused by stem cells! I read about this last month, here is a good summary of the research. Stem cells may also hold the key to treating tumour growth. More research is needed.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:18 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Artery plaque is now thought the be caused by stem cells! I read about this last month, here is a good summary of the research. Stem cells may also hold the key to treating tumour growth. More research is needed.
If there wasn't excessive LDL in the blood, then there'd be much less arterial damage in the first place.
It isn't the stem cells initiating the damage. They are just part of the response to damage caused by excess LDL.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:18 pm

r2160 wrote: Glad you got through it Dave.
I can assure you all, that after talking to the doctors there, unfortunately, it can happen to anybody.

cheers
Glenn
Thanks Glenn. I've heard many similar stories in the past 3 months. It's scary really.

I'm feeling great now and been riding the bike a fair bit. Need to slowly build my endurance back up now.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 am

DaveOZ wrote:I'm feeling great now and been riding the bike a fair bit. Need to slowly build my endurance back up now.
You will be surprised how fast your endurance comes back.

Part of the process is your body learning to deal with the cocktail of drugs you are on.

Took me 3 to 4 months, with 3 weeks abstinence. However, after a couple of months I was riding more often after my heart attack, because it felt good and I needed to shift a few kilos.

2.5 years later weight is off (though is does fluctuate a little and could lose a few more kg for racing purposes), endurance is far better than before and I am racing now, something I would not contemplated 3 years ago)

My current cocktail: Beta blocker - Atenolol-GA (HR lowering), Ramipril (BP lowering), Statin (cholesterol lowering), Aspirin (blood thinning) and I expect to be on them for the rest of my life..

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 am

Had a scare on Sunday night with my better-looking half. She wanted to drive herself to the hospital while experiencing chest pains :shock: but I said no.

They ran some tests. Fortunately no protein in the blood so no myocardial infarction, thank heavens. So I'm guessing some sort of RSI or muscle strain as she was doing a couple of activities she hadn't done for awhile.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:57 am

trailgumby wrote:... I'm guessing some sort of RSI or muscle strain as she was doing a couple of activities she hadn't done for awhile.
Not sure that you should be bragging in this thread, TG. 8)

(But pleased that scare was largely for nothing.)
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;