hayes nine losing pressure

LoveB

hayes nine losing pressure

Postby LoveB » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm

so i got a new 2nd hand bike right, came with hayes nine brakes. Felt fine when i got it. Fine zippong around some streets and fine going up stromlo.. Fine part of the way down too. However when i got to the parking lot after going down, the lever would go all the way to the bar.. Stupid me thought there might be air and i thought i could bleed it like a car (lol) ao that kbviously failed. Dont have a bleeding kit so just read how to do it online.

I couldnt pump fluid up from the caliper so i did it lever down. Got it to fill till mo bubbles were in the hose attatched to the caliper but when id pop it back into the normal ppsition the brake lever still sank.. Anyway iessed up a set of pads since i got oil on them (lol) i have new pads now. Was able to get it to work better byby squeezing fluid in through the top, and pressing the levers so the pads would come closer to each other, pried them open a bit enough for the disk to go through and the levers wouldnt sink all the way after that.

However after 1 run at mt majura they sink all the way again!!! From up top they were ok, then id have to pump them and finallythey kust went all the way, no visible leaks at all on the lines and calipers.. Took bike out day beflre that and it was fine..

Whats the go? Anyone in syd or canberra have a bleed kit and can help me out? can drive to you.. Or ahould i just change the fronts? Rears are perfect!! Sorry for the long post im pretty fruatrated.

twizzle

Re: hayes nine losing pressure

Postby twizzle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Primary seal in the brake lever mech failed? Air in brakes should feel 'spongy' not 'lever goes to bars', and you used the word 'sink'. Implies that fluid is leaking past the piston in the brake lever.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:18 pm

twizzle wrote:Primary seal in the brake lever mech failed? Air in brakes should feel 'spongy' not 'lever goes to bars', and you used the word 'sink'. Implies that fluid is leaking past the piston in the brake lever.
+1

While air in the system is one possibility & contaiminated fluid is another, my guess is the master cylinder seals have gone.

You can buy the master cylinder individually - eg Chain reaction or as part of a rebuild kit
Anything you can do, I can do slower

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Was told levee might be broken and its letting air into the lines?? What do i check?

It does feel spongy but it goes all the way to the bars :o

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:27 pm

I've got a spare front Hayes 9 if you want it. Just bolt it on and problem solved. I'm in Woden if you want it - PM me.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd get the rebuild kit.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Daryl, pm sent!