Sydney weather this morning!!!

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon May 05, 2008 10:21 am

it was nice this morning, i did a cruisy 19km and was very pleasant riding weather, had all the winter gear on, leg/ear warmers, jacket etc and was actualy a bit hot by the end of the ride, better than fingers freezing off though. I could handle this sort of weather quite easily.

Don

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon May 05, 2008 10:23 am

Boognoss wrote:
sandman wrote:JR, where in Central West r u ? That sounds excruciatingly cold ! I'm leaving home at 5:00am tomorrow morning, driving to Domestic terminal, heater set to HIGH... Boognoss and Killer can enjoy the cold, Sandman needs warmth to function :-)

Cheers..Pete
Getting back from balmy Phuket into Sydney weather I've picked up a cold :-(. I was looking forward to the weather and riding the day after we got back (Sunday) but I'm still feeling average today too. Maybe tomorrow, and all the while you guys streak further ahead in the journal.
thats no good Simon, i know you were looking forward to getting back into it, rest up and go for a spin tomorrow

Don

NotTim

Postby NotTim » Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 am

2 weeks off the bike due to the flu didn't help, but geeze it was cold this morning, my nice new winter gloves helped, but my fingers still froze for the first 20 minutes, I was having thoughts about digging out the heavy gauntlets I use on the motorbike.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 05, 2008 11:03 am

sandman wrote:Sogood, smashed yourself a little over the weekend ? I finished off the weekend with 4 reps of Lapstone hill and the left quad is feeling a little sore. I might head out for a recovery ride a little later this afternoon ( when it warms up) to stretch the legs. It looks absolutely gorgeous outside !
4 reps and you are just a little sore in one leg? You are doing very well! :lol:

Well, aren't we always smashed after a weekend of riding? I usually rest on Mon and Tues but had to go out early today to meet up. Just not used to it. But I like your rationalization... A recovery ride. But given how nice the weather is right now at 11am, I am tempted for another spin.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Gawd, don't any of you bast ards work?

I'm looking longingly out the window..........

Kev.

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Eh eh eh , the joys of working from home. Well sometimes it sucks severely but sometimes it just kicks ass. I just couldn't get my bottom out for a weekday ride at 6:30am, well if I **really** had to I could but its just to cold for me.

Sogood, I only managed 38km around the Penrith Lakes this afternoon at 36km/hr average and you know that quad that was a little sore, add the other one too !! I think I'm going to walk a little funny tonight. I left home at 4:45pm, put the arm warmers and wind vest on and by the time I got off the bike, it was pitch black and damn freezing. I'm a bit of a sissy these days, I drive down there as I just cant stand the traffic and trucks on Castlereagh road, the drive is less than 5 mins so I'm not too upset I'm taking the easy way out.

Hope you all had a chance to ride today !!!!

Pete

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon May 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Gawd, don't any of you bast ards work?

I'm looking longingly out the window..........

Kev.
Mate, call to action !! Get the Lycra suit on, we need another POWER RANGER on the road.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How's ur toe Kev, getting sorted or do we need to bring the bolt cutters over ?

Pete

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon May 05, 2008 6:37 pm

leximack wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
sandman wrote:JR, where in Central West r u ? That sounds excruciatingly cold ! I'm leaving home at 5:00am tomorrow morning, driving to Domestic terminal, heater set to HIGH... Boognoss and Killer can enjoy the cold, Sandman needs warmth to function :-)

Cheers..Pete
Getting back from balmy Phuket into Sydney weather I've picked up a cold :-(. I was looking forward to the weather and riding the day after we got back (Sunday) but I'm still feeling average today too. Maybe tomorrow, and all the while you guys streak further ahead in the journal.
thats no good Simon, i know you were looking forward to getting back into it, rest up and go for a spin tomorrow

Don
Damn straight Don. I keep looking longingly at the Corsa sitting there with virgin Specialized Roubaix tyres I want to try out too........ Hopefully tomorrow morning for a cycleway run (Codral-ed up and ready to roll).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

challs

Postby challs » Mon May 05, 2008 6:46 pm

The commute to work was quite brisk this morning but theride home was glorious!!! These autumn days are a struggle for commuting, my backpack ends up packed with the clothes its too warm to wear on the ride home

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 05, 2008 6:59 pm

Well, I didn't get a chance to ride. That lovely midday weather totally wasted. :(
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon May 05, 2008 8:44 pm

sogood wrote:Well, I didn't get a chance to ride. That lovely midday weather totally wasted. :(
Sogood, not good to hear.. I can advise that the afternoon sun was **spectacular**. I hope you get to make the best of it then later in the week !

Cheers..Pete

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon May 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Starting too early to ride to work this week, don't fancy riding the freeway in the dark, and couldn't ride this afternoon as I was watching our youngest.
So I hope the weather is similar tomorrow as I will have a chance after work to run the M5 shoulder.

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon May 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Chuck, it might be time to get a light for your bike. I think I might get one too though I really do avoid riding in the dark in winter as it generally means **COLD** :-)

Pete

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue May 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Even with the warmer gear I've purchased, I'm struggling to get out of bed each morning! I certainly admire you guys who are doing it day in day out.

I did however, manage to drag myself out of bed this morning. It was cold, but not too bad. The best bit is it's going to be a lovely afternoon to ride home by the look of it.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue May 06, 2008 12:20 pm

A nice 66.5 km in the Richmond/Agnes Banks/Londonderry area yesterday afternoon. I had thought about the Regatta Centre (probably would have run into sandman) but just could not be bothered with driving down there and back.

I'll probably do something similar this afternoon :D .

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue May 06, 2008 2:08 pm

lukas wrote:Even with the warmer gear I've purchased, I'm struggling to get out of bed each morning! I certainly admire you guys who are doing it day in day out.

I did however, manage to drag myself out of bed this morning. It was cold, but not too bad. The best bit is it's going to be a lovely afternoon to ride home by the look of it.
i ride pretty much everyday now to work unless it is really raining hard when i plan to leave. I have the advantage though that i can do a short commute of 10km if i am running late or its too cold at 7am i can leave as late as 8am and still commute by bike and make it to work in time. I have good winter gear and dont get cold at all. Best advise i can give is to buy some ear warmers and also some decent gloves, the rest takes care of itself.

Don

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue May 06, 2008 2:30 pm

I've got some good gloves, arm warmers, 3/4 knicks, undervest. Once I'm out riding I'm ok.. it's just getting out of bed that's the problem!

My commute is 15-20km, depending on which way I go, but I start work at 8am so I leave about 6:30am to get there in time to shower. I find it too easy to hit the snooze button at 6am at the moment! But I usually make up for it on the trainer after work.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue May 06, 2008 4:25 pm

sandman wrote:Chuck, it might be time to get a light for your bike. I think I might get one too though I really do avoid riding in the dark in winter as it generally means **COLD** :-)

Pete
Got a rear light Pete need to get a front light. Perhaps I'm just making excuses. I could go another way and ride streets where the traffic is going alot slower, I think I'd be more comfortable riding in the dark under those conditions.
Anyway the earlier starts are suiting me because I'm enjoying the rides after work in warmer conditions (I'm soft I know).
Today was my fastest ride so far 41kms on the M5 at an average speed of 32.85kms. 1' 15" in the saddle and felt very good.
I'm finding it very addictive, get disappointed when I can't ride.
I have an 11.30 am start tomorrow so I'll ride the M5 again after I drop the kids off at school 8) .

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue May 06, 2008 4:44 pm

531db wrote:A nice 66.5 km in the Richmond/Agnes Banks/Londonderry area yesterday afternoon. I had thought about the Regatta Centre (probably would have run into sandman) but just could not be bothered with driving down there and back.

Pete, Regatta was closed till 3:00pm today. Carol and I did some laps up and down the outside road and around the industrial area. I wouldn't mind catching up sometime if we can ever "sync" our diaries :-)

Cheers..Pete

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue May 06, 2008 4:54 pm

Chuck wrote:Today was my fastest ride so far 41kms on the M5 at an average speed of 32.85kms. 1' 15" in the saddle and felt very good.
I'm finding it very addictive, get disappointed when I can't ride.
I have an 11.30 am start tomorrow so I'll ride the M5 again after I drop the kids off at school 8) .
Chuck excellent on the ride. The M7 is nice n smooth, you can get up a good average on that road. About the addiction, I think we all have it at some stage, it comes in waves. I think right now I'm coming back from a bout of " I couldn't be bothered", I've dreamed up a few personal goals so a bit of hard riding will see me make it.

I'm chuckling to myself as I write

1) Want to chase Sogood and Mike up the hill out of RNP. Thats going to hurt real bad me thinks
2) Join Bnej in a ride out to Jenolean Caves, thats going to seriously hurt
3) Ride out to Zig Zag railway, down the hill into Lithgow and come back on the Great Western Highway ( up Vic Pass). Might go and do that one on my own incase I cry :lol: :lol: :lol: My wife Carol bought me a dummy I am going to cable tie under my seat incase I hit any real tough hills :shock: 8)

We all have dreams, need to convert these into actions....

Pete

531db

Postby 531db » Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 pm

531db wrote:A nice 66.5 km in the Richmond/Agnes Banks/Londonderry area yesterday afternoon. I had thought about the Regatta Centre (probably would have run into sandman) but just could not be bothered with driving down there and back.

Did the same ride this afternoon, exactly 10 seconds faster than yesterday. (2-18.49 vs 2-18.39). Hell of a lot cooler today though, needed to go a bit faster just to keep warm.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue May 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Yeah Pete I understand I'm in the throes of a new obsession, hope it lasts.
I think it will because I'd been racking up decent kms on my mountain bike for the last few years so it's not like it's completely new, just have a new toy that's all.
Winter will be a test though because for the last 3 years my riding has been very minimal through winter.
Coming here is very motivating, the km's some of you guys and girls put in are unbelievable. Makes me want to do the same (though the Mrs is worried I'll fade away to nothing :lol: ). It's funny because 5 years ago I thought 10kms was a long ride :roll: .
Goal setting, excellent idea. Ultimately I'd like to be strong on fair dinkum hills. It's awhile away yet I think.
My next goal is 100km ride. I'd also like to ride consistently above 30kms an hour no matter which path/road I ride.

Steve

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue May 06, 2008 5:20 pm

531db wrote:

Did the same ride this afternoon, exactly 10 seconds faster than yesterday. (2-18.49 vs 2-18.39). Hell of a lot cooler today though, needed to go a bit faster just to keep warm.

Definitely cooler, had the arm warmers on today. Also a spit of rain about.

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue May 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Chuck

Well congratulations on making the commitment. I'm definitely not one that has a long attention span so cycling for over 6 months has been a feat for myself. It is very enjoyable to set goals and beat them, the goals that you've set are very similar to many I've read on the forum and with a bit of hard work, you'll get there sooner than you think.

You set the 30km/hr milestone, that was my first, I then went to 33, 35 and beyond. I found that when I first started I felt all happy and safe down the Regatta, doing laps on the flats thinking I was doing real well. I then ventured out on my first group ride that included some undulations and then I had to rethink my strategy. To cut a long story short, my goals have increased and so will yours. You will feel stronger and you will feel the need to challenge yourself harder. THOUGH in saying that, I am not sure what your ultimate aim is, you may not have discovered it yourself as yet !

Plug away, record your efforts then look back at them, that will definately motivate you.

Pete

challs

Postby challs » Wed May 07, 2008 7:45 am

Beautiful ride in this morning, the air was crisp, no fog, not too cold. Cracker of a day too... looks like a nice ride home.

Hope everyone else gets the chance to go for a ride.