Another dumb driver caught on film

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Okay, I'm used to cars doing stupid things on the rode when I'm riding but today, this one beat them all. Firstly, there's swearing in the video. I also post rego numbers because I can. My apologies if either offend anyone. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/LPLmHlnMC2Y
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

arand18

Re: Another dumb driver caught on film

Postby arand18 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:45 pm

stupid driver

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 pm

I subscribed to your channel. Hope you don’t need to upload any more videos along these lines
2012 Oppy A4

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 pm

I hope so too. Usually it's all a good laugh. This one was a bit close though.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:40 pm

It is a case of the sun in her eyes and you being in the shade. She just didn't stop for long enough to actually look. It's an inherent danger of riding with the sun at your back and moron motorists about.

What could you have done differently? Probably only have been ready to accelerate.... Slowing or riding wider would have put you in more danger, stopping was an option but .... I would not have stopped. It was an "Oh No" moment when I saw the shadows and the sun glare... then the car too.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:47 am

Kenzo wrote:It is a case of the sun in her eyes and you being in the shade. She just didn't stop for long enough to actually look. It's an inherent danger of riding with the sun at your back and moron motorists about.

What could you have done differently? Probably only have been ready to accelerate.... Slowing or riding wider would have put you in more danger, stopping was an option but .... I would not have stopped. It was an "Oh No" moment when I saw the shadows and the sun glare... then the car too.

Thank you for the tips. I'll be keeping it in mind and hopefully avoid a similar situation
2012 Oppy A4

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:16 am

Kenzo wrote:It is a case of the sun in her eyes and you being in the shade..
Thought the same thing too.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 pm

I hate when drivers do that.
With your postings on Youtube can you please list the suburb that it occurs in as it gives us some perspective.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Swearing is bad. Being dead is worse.

That was extremely close :shock:

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:50 pm

@beauyboy Sure thing. The latest one was in Wynnum

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:28 pm

I thin that this thread just adds another to keep an eye on when the Moron Motorists thread already covers this material well.

Suggestion to Mods - close it and move the content to the Moron Motorists thread.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Kenzo wrote:It is a case of the sun in her eyes and you being in the shade. She just didn't stop for long enough to actually look. It's an inherent danger of riding with the sun at your back and moron motorists about.

And I am unsure what the driver could have done either short of never crossing such intersections under those circumstances. Hardly practical and we are unable to plan our routes that well anyway. Small targets like bikes can be missed from time to time.

The rider seemed to manage to avoid it well enough. The driver seemed to be moving slowly thru the intersection.

The lesson is that we need to assume the worst at all times. There are bad drivers and there are good drivers in bad situations. All that we can do is take the bad or unaware rider out of the equation.

Play safe out there. Watch everything and everywhere. Assume as little as posible. Manage those things that you can. Ride according to conditions. etc etc etc.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle