Turning Right at Two Lane Roundabouts

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 am

I understand as cyclists were are legally allowed to turn right from the left lane on a multi-lane roundabout. But how is this actually done?

From the RMS website

"At roundabouts with two or more marked lanes or lines of traffic, a cyclist has the option of turning right by entering the roundabout from either left or right lanes. However, if the cyclist chooses to enter from the left lane, the cyclist must take care to give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout."

I have never had to do this and was wondering if anybody has actually done this? What sort of reaction do you get from other traffic? Do you find it safe?

If someone could post step by step instructions, diagrams or some video footage of doing it that would help me get my brain around how to do it safely.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:54 am

Give way to all other vehicles, in essence, do a hook turn. Words and images about two thirds or three quarters down this page: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Travel-and-tr ... lists.aspx

SpinninWheels

Re: Turning Right at Two Lane Roundabouts

Postby SpinninWheels » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:08 am

I always turn from the appropriate turning lane.

Give plenty of signals, make your presence clear in the lane, and cars will allow you the proper space required.

Turning right from the left hand lane just confuses motorists, they probably don't know you're entitled to do so. Always leads to blowing of horns and abuse!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 am

as above, i'd rather go with the traffic in the correct lane, however I only choose that option if I can get to a reasonable pace. For the uphill ride home on my commute I'll skip to the footpath and cross using the pedestrian route. Occasionally I'll take on the roundabout with the traffic but don't like it as its a busy one.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:21 am

Kenzo wrote:Give way to all other vehicles, in essence, do a hook turn. Words and images about two thirds or three quarters down this page: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Travel-and-tr ... lists.aspx
Thanks for the link. But let's just say there was another car, a blue car, intending to go straight through from the left lane ("your lane"), do you find that while you are waiting for the "red" car to exit the blue car nearly rear-ends you and sits on their horn?

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:27 am

Which is why you do what is really a hook turn. I.E. you go straight, pull over to the side, spin 90 degrees and go straight again... Giving way to traffic as normal.

As per the other comments I also prefer to be in the right hand lane but sometimes it is just safer to do the hook turn... I can think of a few fast and busy roundabouts on the gold coast qld where this definitely applies.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:34 am

As a bicycle is classed as a vehicle, i always turn right from the appropriate lane, i generally find riding as though you are driving is the best option. As stated above, there would certainly be instances where discretion would be advised.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Well, the problem is the people driving their cars don't understand this law. I've been almost hit three times using the left lane, trying to give way to cars, go and then someone tries to run you down and beeps their horn like there's no tomorrow. I now avoid these roundabouts or simply use the right lane. It seems to be safer as drivers just get peeved you're in their lane as opposed to trying to run you down as they are certain you are turning left even though you have your right arm out.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:36 pm

darkelf921 wrote:Well, the problem is the people driving their cars don't understand this law. .
An awful lot don't understand the obligation to turn right from the right lane. So they'll be passing you
on the left to do their right turn. Others will be intending to continue around the roundabout further
and you have to give way to them if you take the right lane.

Worse, you can't expect their indicators to give you any reliable information about their intentions.
I think the risk of being rear-ended in the left lane is a lot lower than the risks from galoots
overtaking or passing on your left-hand side. While I prefer to take the left lane, I have an
even stronger preference to find a route that doesn't have to deal with multi-lane roundabouts.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm

wombatK wrote: While I prefer to take the left lane, I have an even stronger preference to find a route that doesn't have to deal with multi-lane roundabouts.
Cheers
I'm confused on what danger you are finding my riding in the middle of the appropriate lane in the roundabout. I've been riding in multi-lane roundabout for years included the Haymarket roundabout aka "the roundabout of death" and never had problems ever. Its no different from driving a car in a roundabout.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Oxford wrote:
human909 wrote:...
I'm confused ...
nuff said. not everyone has the same experiences as you. some people actually do want some guidance/assistance. and the laws regarding how bicycles use a roundabout are different to how a motor vehicle uses a roundabout so it is and should be different to a car.
The laws offer an alternative for cyclists. They don't force you to do anything.

My guidance/assistance is to ignore dangerous allowances for cyclist in the roads rules and use roadabouts in the safe way in which they were designed. Skirting along the outer edge of a roundabout giving way to all vehicles is absurd and dangerous. If you do this you might as well be walking your bike on the footpath.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:42 pm

The issue is DRIVERS do not use roundabouts the way they were intended to be used. Get a grip on reality and stop being so boastful....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:12 pm

99% of the time I get over to the right and act like a powered vehicle, I see no sense in making the poor souls even more confused than they normally are.

I used to love riding the Haymarket. A great buzz has been spoiled by a dozen traffic lights :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Kenzo wrote:The issue is DRIVERS do not use roundabouts the way they were intended to be used.
Explain? How are drivers misusing roundabouts causing a danger to cyclists?
Kenzo wrote:Get a grip on reality and stop being so boastful....
Well in the extreme and highly competitive sport of successfully negotiating a roundabout safely I must admit I do fairly well. I'm sorry if you feel that I am boasting.

Sure in the much more mundane sports of road racing and mountain bike riding I am quite mediocre. I'm sure I'll get quite out of breath while riding at the impressive speed of 30kph and the proper double black downhill stuff I'll just stay well away from.

But its all good because I'm awesome at the roundabout challenges. Next year I'm going on a world tour and hitting up Paris and Swindon 'roundabouts'. :lol:
Mulger bill wrote:99% of the time I get over to the right and act like a powered vehicle, I see no sense in making the poor souls even more confused than they normally are.

I used to love riding the Haymarket. A great buzz has been spoiled by a dozen traffic lights :(
Ooooh we have a challenger! :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:53 pm

human909 wrote:But its all good because I'm awesome at the roundabout challenges. Next year I'm going on a world tour and hitting up Paris and Swindon 'roundabouts'. :lol:
human909 wrote:Ooooh we have a challenger! :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
You're on mate :mrgreen: I wanna hit up the Magic Roundabout in a velomobile too! 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:33 pm

human909 wrote:
Kenzo wrote:The issue is DRIVERS do not use roundabouts the way they were intended to be used.
Ummmm you did actually read the first post right??? Perhaps re-read wombatK's post too...
human909 wrote: <SNIP>
But its all good because I'm awesome at the roundabout challenges. Next year I'm going on a world tour and hitting up Paris and Swindon 'roundabouts'. :lol:
LOL, ok, your balls are way too big for me to challenge you there.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Kenzo wrote:
human909 wrote:
Ummmm you did actually read the first post right??? Perhaps re-read wombatK's post too...
I did. The first post said he wants to turn right. My answer is to use the appropriate lane (normally the right lane), if necessary move into an appropriate lane to exit (normally to the left). I don't really understand what Wombat was getting at here or how it is different from when you are on a bike compared to in a car.

In my experience roundabouts work quite well and the vast vast majority of motorists use them as intended. They don't seem to be riddled with accidents so it is further evidence that motorists are handling things all right. Riding a roundabout on a bike is no different in my experience. (Though like ALL situations on a bike it is unsafe to assume that a car will see you and give way to you so proceed with caution.)

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:26 pm

human909 wrote: I don't really understand what Wombat was getting at here or how it is different from when you are on a bike compared to in a car.
So you don't see that 500 Watts of cyclist is much different to 80 Kilowatts of car ?

A car making a right turn from the left lane will likely be travelling much faster than any cyclist - primary reason for many drivers flouting the rule is that the turn radius is larger and they can drive around it with less braking. While the turn radius of the inner circle usually limits motorist's speeds to cyclists speeds (like most single lane roundabouts - typically 30 kph or less),
the outer lane circle doesn't.

A cyclist is better off taking the outer cycle lane and limiting motorists to 30 kph or less, than trying to cross in front of traffic
moving at 50 kph or more. If I am driving my car, I've got a lot more power to use to accelerate into a gap, and
an even better ability to slow anyone behind me while I find a gap.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:54 pm

wombatK wrote:A cyclist is better off taking the outer cycle lane and limiting motorists to 30 kph or less, than trying to cross in front of traffic
moving at 50 kph or more.
You should be position yourself so you don't have to be crossing in front of traffic. Taking the correct lane I've never had to "cross in front of traffic" in a roundabout be it in a car or a bike.

If you stay in the left lane wanting to turn right then you WILL find yourself crossing in front of traffic! :shock: Furthermore they have 'right of way' aka you have to give way.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Postieboy wrote:
From the RMS website

"At roundabouts with two or more marked lanes or lines of traffic, a cyclist has the option of turning right by entering the roundabout from either left or right lanes. However, if the cyclist chooses to enter from the left lane, the cyclist must take care to give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout."
This whole rule is stupid.
Is confusing for both ,car and cyclist.
The best way is to forget this rule as it does more harm then good.

If i want to turn right i wil go into the right lane before the roundabout.
I wil stay in the right lane and make a right turn.

If you are not comfortable to do so, then a hook turn is the best alternative.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:53 pm

damhooligan wrote:
Postieboy wrote:
From the RMS website

This whole rule is stupid.
Is confusing for both ,car and cyclist.
The best way is to forget this rule as it does more harm then good.
Yep damH has it. The "both lane" rule is most useful when considering the ENORMOUS roundabouts in Queensland, and pootling cyclists at 20kmh. These cyclists would create more inconvenience by blocking the inside whole lane, where otherwise they would hug the white line and allow two lanes of traffic to move past in an orderly fashion. For the sake of sensible traffic flow of cars, this two lane rule exists for cyclists.

The main advice is to occupy a lane with supreme confidence, or use the hook turn if you don't have the brass ones to behave like a car. Many don't, and that is OK. Road rules don't make life easier for cyclists... they are there to make life easier for drivers. :lol:

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Well it looks like the overwhelming majority think like I do, and that is that turning right from the left lane would put you in a tricky situation. I just couldn't fathom the concept of turning left from the right lane as it seems counterintuitive to everybody else's expectations for traffic on the roundabout. I guess the best option is to either find another route or use the right lane.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Xplora wrote:Yep damH has it. The "both lane" rule is most useful when considering the ENORMOUS roundabouts in Queensland, and pootling cyclists at 20kmh. These cyclists would create more inconvenience by blocking the inside whole lane,
As a cyclist it is more important to worry about your safety than about slowing a motorist down for 3 seconds.

Also are your ENORMOUS roundabouts in Queensland bigger than 4 lanes with 3 tram crossings?

This roundabout has been intimidating car drivers for years in Melbourne. But really handling it on a bike is no different from in the car. Get in a lane. Give way to vehicles in the roundabout. Ride through roundabout changing lanes if necessary. Exit when required. Seriously where is the difficulty?
Xplora wrote: where otherwise they would hug the white line and allow two lanes of traffic to move past in an orderly fashion. For the sake of sensible traffic flow of cars, this two lane rule exists for cyclists.
Orderly fashion is about ensuring vehicles are in the appropriate lanes. Moving around the outside confuses everyone and puts cyclists at risk.
Xplora wrote:The main advice is to occupy a lane with supreme confidence, or use the hook turn if you don't have the brass ones to behave like a car. Many don't, and that is OK. Road rules don't make life easier for cyclists... they are there to make life easier for drivers. :lol:
You don't need brass ones to behave like a car, you need to realise that it makes you safer. In fact I cringe and shudder in fear the way some cyclists behave on the roads when they are not claiming lanes.
Postieboy wrote:Well it looks like the overwhelming majority think like I do, and that is that turning right from the left lane would put you in a tricky situation.
You must be reading a different thread to me. At best it seems evenly divided.

I don't know what is tricky about it. Occupy right lane, turn right. No different from any other intersection where I am turning right.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 pm

human909 wrote: As a cyclist it is more important to worry about your safety than about slowing a motorist down for 3 seconds.

Also are your ENORMOUS roundabouts in Queensland bigger than 4 lanes with 3 tram crossings?
Posts like this make me believe that some of us really do spend too time arguing online... I'm not from Queensland, and you're smart enough to realise that slowing drivers down for 3 seconds is probably less safe than slowing them down for a lot longer - because they don't usually hit from behind, they hit your side. Safety is the most important thing, and drivers don't function well with really slow (10-15kmh) riders. I don't understand why, but they just give the respect when I'm doing 30-35, and I don't get it at 10-15. :shock:

shann

Postby shann » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:11 pm

^^I hate that roundabout, and never know what to do in it. Lucky I no longer live in Melbourne. Anyone who can navigate that on a bike gets massive applause from me.