Turning Right at Two Lane Roundabouts

human909

Re: Turning Right at Two Lane Roundabouts

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Xplora wrote:Posts like this make me believe that some of us really do spend too time arguing online... I'm not from Queensland
I'm not sure what you mean here? Or if you misinterpreted my point.

You were the one who suggested that it was the, *quote*, "ENORMOUS roundabouts" in Queensland posing a difficulty. My post attempted to clarify that I see no reason why big roundabout should mean that you forgo taking the safe option of using the correct lane.
Xplora wrote:and you're smart enough to realise that slowing drivers down for 3 seconds is probably less safe than slowing them down for a lot longer
No. I don't agree that is the case.
Xplora wrote:because they don't usually hit from behind, they hit your side. Safety is the most important thing
Which is exactly why I have been advocating that taking a lane is necessary and important. Though if you take the left hand lane while trying to turn right then you are opening yourself up to being hit from the side by exiting cars! Which is exactly why you should take the CORRECT LANE not the left lane.

Hey. We can argue all you want. But the fact is that I and others successfully and safely negotiate multi lane roundabouts quite regularly. Either we are lying or we have magical abilities that you and a couple others don't possess. What's more likely?

A cyclist is simply another vehicle on the road. I can accelerate and move through a roundabout faster than a semi trailer. They negotiate roundabouts just fine. Why are you advocating that cyclist behave differently from all the other vehicles is beyond me.
Last edited by human909 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:25 pm

wombatK wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:Well, the problem is the people driving their cars don't understand this law. .
An awful lot don't understand the obligation to turn right from the right lane. So they'll be passing you
on the left to do their right turn. Others will be intending to continue around the roundabout further
and you have to give way to them if you take the right lane.
In many years of cycling, always using the right lane to make roundabout 'right turns', I have never had any such problems that you describe. Just my experience.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Oxford wrote: the laws regarding how bicycles use a roundabout are different to how a motor vehicle uses a roundabout so it is and should be different to a car.
The basic rule is no different. Just that a recent change has legalised a rather dangerous 'newbie' short-cut.
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:32 pm

shann wrote:^^I hate that roundabout, and never know what to do in it. Lucky I no longer live in Melbourne. Anyone who can navigate that on a bike gets massive applause from me.
*bows* :wink:

It's not as much fun anymore since the traffic lights went in. It's really more of a circular intersection these days. I'm not really sure whether it's improved things.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Xplora wrote:The "both lane" rule is most useful when considering the ENORMOUS roundabouts in Queensland, and pootling cyclists at 20kmh. These cyclists would create more inconvenience by blocking the inside whole lane,
No they won't - they will slow the following motorists to the entirely reasonable speed of 20kmh. Far too many motorists seem to see roundabouts as some sort of speedway track, rather than the intersection that they are. They deserve to be slowed. Ride in the right lane for right turns and do some traffic-calming.
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 pm

shann wrote:^^I hate that roundabout, and never know what to do in it. Lucky I no longer live in Melbourne. Anyone who can navigate that on a bike gets massive applause from me.
That is what mulger bill and I were talking about. And honestly it really isn't that bad. Sure its extra complicated but once you know it its fine and the speeds are that bad.

But it highlights my point, you just need to take a lane and own it. Stuff the cars behind you, they can and will wait. Ride in the same way as you would drive a car. Be aware of the vehicles in front, behind, and to either side. Just like you should be doing in a car. If you need to change lanes then do so by indicating and moving when it is safe. Exit when appropriate, probably best to exist from the left most lane to ensure appropriate positioning on the road after the roundabout.
il padrone wrote:In many years of cycling, always using the right lane to make roundabout 'right turns', I have never had any such problems that you describe. Just my experience.
I've been riding multilane roundabouts for a decade, including the one pictured. Like il padrone I have never had such problems. Possibly because using a roundabout in the way it was intended simply works! :idea:
Mulger bill wrote:It's not as much fun anymore since the traffic lights went in. It's really more of a circular intersection these days. I'm not really sure whether it's improved things.
I completely agree, and it was fun. I was sad to see that go, it is an iconic part of Melbourne. It's like putting traffic lights through the Arc de Triumph! :roll: In the few times I've been through it recently is seemed to work better than I expected. I haven't been through in peak hour though.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Mandatory helmet law?

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Gold Coast roundabouts are the issue for me, not because of the roundabouts themselves but because of the 70 or 80km/h signed speed limits, the higher number of tourists who don't know the road nor do they know exactly which exit they want... Which leads to the inevitable reckless decision making which endangers everyone.
Plus... there seems to be a disproportionate number of high powered vehicles on the Gold Coast who do treat roundabouts like high speed chicanes...
Now though, I ride through Logan Shire where indicators are either optional or simply not working. Lovely people here but road rules are generally ignored. On another note, I'm quite sure the avg age of cars here in Logan are higher than anywhere else in Qld.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Kenzo wrote:Gold Coast roundabouts are the issue for me....

.....the 70 or 80km/h signed speed limits....

....the inevitable reckless decision making which endangers everyone.....

... there seems to be a disproportionate number of high powered vehicles on the Gold Coast who do treat roundabouts like high speed chicanes.
Really not too much different to roundabouts in lots of other suburban and semi-rural locations. See my post above - we need more traffic calming

:wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Large speed bumps spaced two metres apart... Sounds like a fun way to get kids back out on BMX bikes ;-)

kb

Postby kb » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:13 am

Went through there last thursday for the first time in 15 years. It has traffic lights now. I still had a car cut across me to exit left from a right only lane :-(

kb

Postby kb » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:
*bows* :wink:

It's not as much fun anymore since the traffic lights went in. It's really more of a circular intersection these days. I'm not really sure whether it's improved things.
It's probably decreased car - tram collisions. I saw three during my student days. I still hear it called "The Roundabout of Death" though :-)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 am

Mandatory helmet law?

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 pm

il padrone wrote:Roundabout to nowhere :shock:
It's a truck turnaround point...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm

kb wrote:It's probably decreased car - tram collisions. I saw three during my student days. I still hear it called "The Roundabout of Death" though :-)
You may be right there. The other behaviour is sadly not endemic to roundabouts. Anyone using Moonee Ponds Junction southbound has had that happen at least a dozen times with cars on the right muscling across for Mount Rd and vice versa for Ascot Vale Rd.

Roadcraft is a sorely lacking skill in waaay to many users of all tribes :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

zero

Postby zero » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:27 pm

+1 for using the appropriate (right hand) lane. Its easier to get past the exits you don't want, and not that many drivers mistakenly use the outer lane to turn right - so less contention overall. Just ride in the middle of your lane for the task so possession is made clear. I supply clear viewing of my middle finger for anyone on the horn whilst I'm trying to turn a roundabout.