Ice Adventure FS HD

Baalzamon

Re: Ice Adventure FS HD

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Wheel covers are fabric with a fibreglass circle. Litte plastic clips onto spokes and just put on the disc.
You will see as Mango has the same :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am

And now my tryker tyres have rocked up. Next commute is Wednesday so time to see the difference!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Looking forward to seeing the wheel covers Stuart and any other mods you have done to this wonderful looking machine.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Photos pending due to installation of tryker tyres and tweaks to fairing.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Well wheel covers

You can just make out the clips

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Stuart what are the covers made from is it like Lycra material? the clips are neat which adds to the over all appeal because there hard to be seen.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:03 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Stuart what are the covers made from is it like Lycra material? the clips are neat which adds to the over all appeal because there hard to be seen.

Ricky
Yeah it's like a lycra material, but the material is different to Sinner Mangos. That one feels stronger on the Mango, but I don't think I have some of my covers tight enough yet either. I know my left side one is looser, and needs tightening.
Also with my tyres having to come off, I think it's time to check the wheels over as well. Trike is over 900kms now

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Stuart,
Yes looks like you need to tighten the draw string a bit. Did you have to cut the hoe for the brake or was it ready done and reinforced?
Looking forward to pictures of the fairing and a report.

Riggsbie.

Take a look here.
The Alans Fabric Disks tab (at top of page) show how the fabric bit is made and the hoop

The Fabric Disks tab shows the way to make clips similar to the ones Stuart and I have.

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/wheeldi ... structions

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Soldering Iron to make holes in it so won't fray. But discs coming off tonight so I can put trykers on :)

Riggsbie

Ice Adventure FS HD

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:57 pm

I have been tempted to make some from ABS.....

I read that web page last year sometime, I even bought 1m2 of 0.7mm ABS black plastic as well but it got used on something else.....

Not sure I need to worry now as the Mango could only be a month away......

So what is the % age improvement with all the tweaks ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Well lets just say you can spot Stuart from about a mile away now.

Certainly looks the part.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Phil wrote:Image

Well lets just say you can spot Stuart from about a mile away now.

Certainly looks the part.
So I'll ask the obvious question.

How fast does it go on the flat now (average) and how much of an improvement is it?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Going to work is the best way to test this. 1st half of my 28km or so is hilly, so I'll get up a bit of speed and then slow down again. After last lil rise it flattens out and then I can expect to put power down and see. But into the wind coming home from Phil's I was dropping roadies quite easily.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. If you get some numbers in the future (like no wind flat ground average) versus previous under the same conditions, I'll be interested to know. :)

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:57 pm

OMGosh what a sweet set-up Stuart that is an awesome trike and I like the tinted faring your the first I know off that has a tinted one and it looks great in my opinion much better than the clear.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:20 pm

So I go take off my tyre and disc to tension the discs a bit more and to put my tryker tyres on. So good time to check spokes right
OH GREAT I need to do some work on my wheels :evil:
YEP spoke tension is getting down, not as bad as Phils was but still.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

WOOHOO trued 2 trike wheels now
1 of phils, one of mine both different setups. Drums and disks
Tonight I'll finish mine off so I can go for a short ride Saturday to make sure the wheels are all good, but Avonguard has been killed for me :( Wanted to do that Audax ride but rather play it safe with recent maintenance.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:32 pm

What's the procedure for tightening the spokes ?

My ICE Vortex spokes are constantly singing to me, they seem pretty even in tension but there is an odd one here and there which feel rather 'loose'....

Is there a guide to re-tensioning spokes ?

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Way to go Stuart you will be building your own wheel now that you have fiddled with truing and tensioning spokes it's just a natural progression.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Way to go Stuart you will be building your own wheel now that you have fiddled with truing and tensioning spokes it's just a natural progression.

Ricky
Already built a Rohloff, 2 son hubs, and a set of other wheels already. First time working on trike wheels, been interesting as not much material out there about it. I've got no qualms about building a rear hub for my trike as I'm quite annoyed by the capreo hub.... Capreo hub is locked to the freehub which is locked to the hub, so I'm already planning a new rear wheel. Don't want to take full size tools with me, but I'm going to have to for my Perth - Adelaide trip...
Shimano TLHG09 and chainwhip when I could just been carrying a hypercracker which I already own...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Nobody wrote:Thanks for the reply. If you get some numbers in the future (like no wind flat ground average) versus previous under the same conditions, I'll be interested to know. :)
Today with new trykers tyres.
I was having fun with DF today riders :) Today I had 4 PRs in strava, 4 2nd fastest times and one third faster times. Faster times where on my Masi. But I just checked it on Strava for my third faster times... Say What 1 sec between faster, 2nd and 3rd.... That WILL change....
Btw I am about 120-122kg right now :oops: so that isn't helping much.
Back to commuting this week so I'll be able to see better, but definitely faster

And today, WOOHOO no more noise when turning! 2 possiblies... Reflector on front wheels were removed due to disks on. Spokes where tighten up.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Does the fairing make a difference, do the wheel covers make a difference YES
120kg doing 33.8ph over 12km, that was my fastest time as well according to strava and I've done that segment a few times.
I'm not a light fairy, I'm a big guy with strong legs

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Does the fairing make a difference, do the wheel covers make a difference YES
120kg doing 33.8ph over 12km, that was my fastest time as well according to strava and I've done that segment a few times.
So what were the earlier average speeds over this 12Km before the fairing and wheel covers? Just trying to put a number on the changes.
Thanks.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Does the fairing make a difference? It must. There's a nice descent that I like to bomb down, Lesmurdie Hill on Welshpool Rd; so far I've never beaten 84.5kmh and I've hit that speed 3 times. Once on a roadracer and cranking at 166rpm or so, passing cars as I went. Once on the trike when it was geared with a dinnerplate front chainring and Schlumpf drive, 3x7 Sachs rear, all up a massive gear. Then with the trike and fairing like Baalzamon's, however the chain dropped off the front and I could only coast downhill because there was traffic, so no pedalling but still hit a high speed. The trike was already fairly laid back and low, aerodynamic but the fairing made such a difference. Mind you that's on a descent where you'd expect to hit 65 or 70kmh on the DF normally, if you're just tootling along at 20kmh the fairing is just dead weight.

My fairing was set up a little differently to Baalzamon's picture, the nose is up higher to just cover the bottom stroke of the feet, the aft is closer to my chest and flatter. Same model fairing. This made getting in and out not as easy, the mounts for the fairing I'd made myself and the centre mount had a pivot half way up the post with a quick release, when getting out the fairing is flexible and will put up with being tilted up and forward however there still isn't much room. I like my trike with the quick dismount where both feet are unclipped, the brakes locked and forward momentum brings me to my feet while stopping the trike, the ballistic dismount (scares the hell out of yapping dogs), something the fairing doesn't allow. I also like to hang my trike on the garage wall, just enough height to fit the dinnerplate but not a nose. So the fairing is stowed away.

I'll bring it out if Mr Baalzamon wishes to have fairing trials down Lesmurdie Hill.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Nobody wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Does the fairing make a difference, do the wheel covers make a difference YES
So what were the earlier average speeds over this 12Km before the fairing and wheel covers? Just trying to put a number on the changes.
Thanks.
Well this was the 1st time I've done that run with my trike. Previously it has been my uprights, and I got a PR with my trike and fairing. Doing a run to work this week tomorrow.