Want to ride M7 cycle path

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Apologies if this is somewhere else. I did do a search but too many references for them to be listed...

Anyways, I am having next week off work partly to watch TDF... :lol: Partly cause I need a break...

My question is where is the best place to start riding the M7 bike path? I live in Narwee, just next to the M5 & plan to drive to a point on the bike path & then go for a nice long ride during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can park the car & then get to the bike path?

I don't plan on riding the entire path, I hear it is about 40km long. But seeing as it'll be a return journey I would like to do about 50km in total.. Is there any particularly sceninc parts? Or just good starting points.

Thanks in advance... Go Cadel...

plam

Re: Want to ride M7 cycle path

Postby plam » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:00 pm

One end of the M7 cycle path starts/end near the M5 at prestons. You can park at the McDonalds on Camden Valley Way and cycle from there. Althernatively, you can also park at a nearby park at Ash Rd. The walking/cycle path in the park joins directly to the M7 cycle path as well. As for scenery, I've only been on the Prestons end up the the M4 junction and I haven't found it too scenic though it's sometimes a little smelly near Horsley drive.
2012 Avanti Aria3
2012 Giant Defy 1

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Here is a link to a map of the M7 Cycleway that may assist.Tim

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/ ... xt_002.pdf

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi John,

I am from riverwood and occasionally park at Liverpool catholic club at joadja rd Preston's and join the m7 path at bernera road. Very easy to get to from the club along off road cycleway. From here it's about 16 km to m4 then about 18 km to sunnyholt road.
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Beanzy wrote:Hi John,

I am from riverwood and occasionally park at Liverpool catholic club at joadja rd Preston's and join the m7 path at bernera road. Very easy to get to from the club along off road cycleway. From here it's about 16 km to m4 then about 18 km to sunnyholt road.
I think you mean 28km, it's 15km from sunnyholt to the bubbler at the m7 offices

rosh1985

Postby rosh1985 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Is the M7 cycle way good for road biking? I will be moving to the western suburbs at the end of the year as I'm posted to Richmond (I'm a raafy). I'd like to ride the whole length with return from the glenwood side. Are there many road bikes that do this route?
2012 EMC R2.4

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

No i meant what I said - 16km to m4 THEN 18km to sunnyholt. I did neglect to take off the couple km's to my work on sunnyholt. So yes you are correct in saying it is 16km from bubbler (m4) to sunnyholt.
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Rosh - road bikes are very plentiful :)
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm

rosh1985 wrote:Is the M7 cycle way good for road biking? I will be moving to the western suburbs at the end of the year as I'm posted to Richmond (I'm a raafy). I'd like to ride the whole length with return from the glenwood side. Are there many road bikes that do this route?
Rosh, you can ride from Richmond on the road with a good breakdown lane to the start of the M7 Cycleway at Bella Vista, then do 80k return to bella vista, then head back to Richmond, approx 140-150 clicks all up. There is also a bikepath from the M7 Cycleway to Windsor if you prefer, but eith way, where you are going is cycling heaven.Plenty of good climbs about within a 10-15 k ride west as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ps check out the m7c map link a couple of posts above.

rosh1985

Postby rosh1985 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:59 am

Hi Rosh - road bikes are very plentiful :D
Great :D
TimW wrote:
rosh1985 wrote:
Is the M7 cycle way good for road biking? I will be moving to the western suburbs at the end of the year as I'm posted to Richmond (I'm a raafy). I'd like to ride the whole length with return from the glenwood side. Are there many road bikes that do this route?
Rosh, you can ride from Richmond on the road with a good breakdown lane to the start of the M7 Cycleway at Bella Vista, then do 80k return to bella vista, then head back to Richmond, approx 140-150 clicks all up. There is also a bikepath from the M7 Cycleway to Windsor if you prefer, but eith way, where you are going is cycling heaven.Plenty of good climbs about within a 10-15 k ride west as well ps check out the m7c map link a couple of posts above.
Thanks Tim, sounds pretty good. I'll definitely be wanting to meet up with others that do this route often :D

Is there a speed limit for road bikes, and a riding etiquette that most follow? i.e. group rides etc.
2012 EMC R2.4

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks all for your input. It's greatly appreciated.
Looks like the sun will be shining next week too... :D

I am not a super quick rider or anything, but as was asked, is there any speed limit for the cycleway??

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:57 pm

There is no actual speed limit, although it is being bandied about at the moment as 30 kph as an advisory limit on the m7 cycleway website. In places you have no choice but to slow down, when going under the underpasses and tight corners etc, but the majority of the cycleway is a great roll and depending on your fitness level you can get along at quite a good pace. When it has been wet or is raining i advise caution on the corners etc, especially near manhole covers which seem to be strategically placed on the apexes of corners, and also painted lines/pedestrian pictures etc.Tim

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 pm

rosh1985 wrote:
Hi Rosh - road bikes are very plentiful :D
Great :D
TimW wrote:
rosh1985 wrote:
Rosh, you can ride from Richmond on the road with a good breakdown lane to the start of the M7 Cycleway at Bella Vista, then do 80k return to bella vista, then head back to Richmond, approx 140-150 clicks all up. There is also a bikepath from the M7 Cycleway to Windsor if you prefer, but eith way, where you are going is cycling heaven.Plenty of good climbs about within a 10-15 k ride west as well ps check out the m7c map link a couple of posts above.
Thanks Tim, sounds pretty good. I'll definitely be wanting to meet up with others that do this route often :D

Is there a speed limit for road bikes, and a riding etiquette that most follow? i.e. group rides etc.
Rosh during the week there are many regulars that ride the route, and sometimes team up together.On weekends it is more crowded with both pedestrians and cyclists. Something for you to bear in mind also is a shop ride from the Trek store at Rouse Hill each Saturday morning. It starts at the shop at 0630, the shop is at the Rouse Hill town centre, and it rides from there back to the airbase and around that area before heading back to Rouse Hill. It's a popular ride with two groups of riders, one slower and one faster. Something to bear in mind if your after an organised bunch ride that is local.Tim

ecreek

Postby ecreek » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Here's another good map and info -
http://www.westlinkm7.com.au/cmsAdmin/u ... mphlet.pdf

Michael

rosh1985

Postby rosh1985 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:49 am

TimW wrote: Rosh during the week there are many regulars that ride the route, and sometimes team up together.On weekends it is more crowded with both pedestrians and cyclists. Something for you to bear in mind also is a shop ride from the Trek store at Rouse Hill each Saturday morning. It starts at the shop at 0630, the shop is at the Rouse Hill town centre, and it rides from there back to the airbase and around that area before heading back to Rouse Hill. It's a popular ride with two groups of riders, one slower and one faster. Something to bear in mind if your after an organised bunch ride that is local.Tim

Thanks, Tim. I think I will be looking for some organised rides for the weekends and to get comfortable riding in groups.

i'll keep an eye out for these!
2012 EMC R2.4

cuttsnake

Postby cuttsnake » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Rosh, give us a Hoy when you get here - there are plenty of other RAAFie cycling nuts (road and dirt) who would be happy to ride with you.

Thanks everyone for the info on the M7, I was just talking to my wife today about doing that sometime.
Cuttsy.

I've worked very hard to achieve this level of mediocrity.

rosh1985

Postby rosh1985 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:52 pm

cuttsnake wrote:Rosh, give us a Hoy when you get here - there are plenty of other RAAFie cycling nuts (road and dirt) who would be happy to ride with you.

Thanks everyone for the info on the M7, I was just talking to my wife today about doing that sometime.
Cuttsnake, will do!! i've been told by a few that used to live in the area that there is good riding over the river to the west - Looking forward to it!
2012 EMC R2.4

PCL138

Postby PCL138 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:23 am

I'm planning to hit the M7 cycleway this morning. Been long time coming & finally giving it go. Will provide feedback after the ride, I plan to do the full length of the cycleway & back which equates to 80km.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:56 am

It's an easy ride - no steep hills. Watch for broken glass and snakes.

PCL138

Postby PCL138 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:It's an easy ride - no steep hills. Watch for broken glass and snakes.
Just got back. Strong winds today. No broken glass OR snakes thankfully. I must say great cycleway! Very well done
There are a few climbs & speedy descents. Glad I finally hit the M7 now it's time to link M7 cycleway with the M5 & that would be a great workout.

PCL138

Postby PCL138 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:51 pm

I cycled the full length of the M7 too which is total 80km.
Anyone considering it just do it. Well worth it just hope other cycleways are linked in the near future.