A crazy thought - could I borrow a bike?

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:14 am

I've been living in DC for the past 18 months and will be returning for a visit to Sydney in early August. There is nothing to compare to the riding around northern Sydney here and I was thinking it would be nice if I could go for a spin around Bobbin Head for old time's sake when I returned.

Only problem - where would I get a bike?

Anyway, as a bit of a long shot, anyone (more likely anyone who knows me from before I left) got any thoughts where I might find a bike to ride around Bobbin Head et al for a few hours in early August? And if that hurdle can be surmounted - want to go for a bike ride in early August?

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: A crazy thought - could I borrow a bike?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 am

Size?

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:08 am

Try contacting a few bike shops in the area. You should hopefully be able to rent a shop bike or demo model just for one ride.

I know of a couple of shops up here in Brisveagus who do just that.

Otherwise go into a shop & take a demo bike for a test ride. They'll ask you for your license & possibly a deposit. When you return 3 hours later, just appolagise & tell them you got lost.

the above is only a joke obviously so back off all you do gooders, but on a brighter note you could actually love the bike & purchase it in the future.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Size?
Giant size "M" in a CRX that I ride at the moment. Probably a 56cm or thereabouts in others - but it can be hard to tell sometimes.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:51 am

I didn't realise you were that tall. I thought you were more my size. I've got a 53 but it may be too small for you.

Edit: Oh and it's drop bar. Last time i rode with you around the gorges you were on a flatbar if i remember correctly?
Last edited by Strawburger on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:52 am

Strawburger wrote:I didn't realise you were that tall. I thought you were more my size. I've got a 53 but it may be too small for you.
5' 11" but somewhat shorter legs than the average.

The Giant is notionally a 50cm - but with the sloping top tube it all gets a bit... vague.

Flatbar - check. But dropbar is on the todo list any day now.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Your welcome to mine, but they are small :?

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the offers. Looks like I might be a bit big for what's available. I'm chasing up another lead and hope to find a suitable bike to get around on. Or maybe I'll drop in on Renegade Cycles and ask if I can take an extended test ride :)

If I do track something suitable down I'll post back to see if anyone wants to go for a ride around Bobbin Head or whatever (and see how it feels compared to what I've been riding here - nothing long, just short, sharp stabs at 8-9%).

snortin

Postby snortin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:33 am

I have 2 road bikes. The "commuter" which is a Bianchi Via Nirone 55cm and a Specialized Tarmac for weekend riding.
Though you are a tiny bit taller than me, the Bianchi should be fine for you.
I wouldn't mind tagging along on a weekend around Bobbin Head.
I am at West Ryde....
Anyway, if you don't have any luck with the Lane Cove boys, let me know because you're welcome to use the Bianchi.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:36 am

snortin wrote:I have 2 road bikes. The "commuter" which is a Bianchi Via Nirone 55cm and a Specialized Tarmac for weekend riding.
Though you are a tiny bit taller than me, the Bianchi should be fine for you.
I wouldn't mind tagging along on a weekend around Bobbin Head.
I am at West Ryde....
Anyway, if you don't have any luck with the Lane Cove boys, let me know because you're welcome to use the Bianchi.
Much obliged. I'll be based around Chatswood. If nothing turns up I'll be sure to be in touch. And if something turns up, I'll be sure to be in touch :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 am

When are you in Syd? I am on leave from Aug 8th to 27th, aiming to do a fair chunk of riding. Will be doing Bobbin Head/Gorges quite a few times!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 am

I'm in Sydney from the 6th to 21st with a gap between the 12th and 18th when I'll be in Canberra.

I plan to do some riding, but also indulging in many things Australian - fish and chips on the Corso, sausage rolls and iced coffee Moove, some decent coffee... aargh, focus. I've still got lots of work to do before I go and I can't go loosing focus yet.

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am

Moove :shock: , how long have you been gone for? I think the corso is still there though.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 am

gururug wrote:Moove :shock: , how long have you been gone for? I think the corso is still there though.
Not that long.

But one does get a craving for the things of one's childhood - and iced coffee Moove is the thing. But I'm not picky, any iced coffee will do me (here, they have "iced coffee", but it is coffee with ice cubes in it - that's not it at all).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 pm

jasimon wrote:I'm in Sydney from the 6th to 21st with a gap between the 12th and 18th when I'll be in Canberra.

I plan to do some riding, but also indulging in many things Australian - fish and chips on the Corso, sausage rolls and iced coffee Moove, some decent coffee... aargh, focus. I've still got lots of work to do before I go and I can't go loosing focus yet.
Ok, we have a fair amount of overlap there, so of you want a riding buddy then I am available. I have not worked out a schedule yet. I have to work around two young kids, so most rides will be early morning ones I suspect.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm

queequeg wrote:I have not worked out a schedule yet. I have to work around two young kids, so most rides will be early morning ones I suspect.
I also have to work around two youngish kids (and a wife). We'll see how it goes.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks to snortin I'll be able to take a spin around Bobbin Head on Sunday. We will be meeting at the cafe on the corner of Bobbin Head Rd and Normurra Ave at 7:30am. If you would like to join us for a ride through Bobbin Head let me know to expect you.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 am

jasimon wrote:Thanks to snortin I'll be able to take a spin around Bobbin Head on Sunday. We will be meeting at the cafe on the corner of Bobbin Head Rd and Normurra Ave at 7:30am. If you would like to join us for a ride through Bobbin Head let me know to expect you.
Where are you planning to ride to? Just each side of Bobbin Head? Sunday is going to be my son's 1st birthday lunch, so I'll have to check the schedule.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am

queequeg wrote:
jasimon wrote:Thanks to snortin I'll be able to take a spin around Bobbin Head on Sunday. We will be meeting at the cafe on the corner of Bobbin Head Rd and Normurra Ave at 7:30am. If you would like to join us for a ride through Bobbin Head let me know to expect you.
Where are you planning to ride to? Just each side of Bobbin Head? Sunday is going to be my son's 1st birthday lunch, so I'll have to check the schedule.
Yes, I believe it will be a quick spin (my fitness notwithstanding). We all have family responsibilities :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 pm

jasimon wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Yes, I believe it will be a quick spin (my fitness notwithstanding). We all have family responsibilities :)
Ok, spoke to the other half and we're doing a lunch thing at home for the birthday. I was going to do the Bike North "Big Ride" on Sunday, but it finishes too late and in the wrong location. So, I might plan to come to Bobbin Head via Berowra Waters, do Bobbin Head once, meet up with you and do it again. I can then either stop at The Corner Cafe before I head home via Browns Waterhole, or torture myself and head home via Galston Gorge. If you are only doing the Bobbin Head Loop, that is about 20km all up I think.
I've had a couple of days off the bike now, having decided that making the full ESC Challenge was just futile. Aiming for 75%, so I need to do another 266km between now and Wednesday. I am going to aim for a nice ride tomorrow I think, maybe do Galston Gorge, Bobbin Head, Church Point, West Head, & Akuna Bay. Have a rest day Saturday, then the ride on Sunday morning before my Son's birthday.

So, I'll see you at the Corner Cafe at 7:30am. I'm the guy on the Maroon coloured Hillbrick!

Timmeh

Postby Timmeh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 pm

http://www.ridethecity.com/sydney shows both bike shops and bike rental places on a map. Pretty handy. Sadly appears none do bike hire on the north shore.