Slide show of touring photos

Scotness

Slide show of touring photos

Postby Scotness » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 am

Hi guys I've done a little slide show of some photos from bike tours I've done. This is from the early 80's to last year - most are in Australia, and there's some from Europe in 99.

We didn't have too many photos on the earlier trips and I need to dig out more from Europe but it should be a fun little thing to look at I think

Slide show

Scot
My new novel Shows So Fair out now!

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Slide show of touring photos

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for sharing Scot brings back memories of the old gear times and it's nice to be reminded of those days every now and then to think how lucky we are now.

Ricky

Scotness

Postby Scotness » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Yes it's amazing how things have changed:

- No mobile phones
- No GPS units - only maps that didn't always concur!
- Speedo's and odometers were all mechanical - no trip computers
- not to mention the old technology in sleeping bags, tents, bed rolls etc

But we had a hoot!

I still prefer maps to GPS units! I'm glad the bikes are better now and the gear weighs less!

- And thank goodness for modern batteries and lights - the old ones, especially with the generators you used to flick onto the wheel, were diabolical!

Scot :-)

Scotness

Postby Scotness » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:59 pm

And you had to ration your photos! Now you can take a squillion and share them with everyone in the world in an instant......

-- which personally I don't like a lot of that - it takes away the feeling of being away ~~> but maybe that's just a generational thing because I'm older!

S

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Scot what gave me a great laugh was the foam bed roll if I was to go back to that these days I would wonder what the hell happened after my current gear use. Yes I'm one to still use paper maps I just think they still preform better than any GPS or modern day fang dangle electronic thing and I still carry my trusty Silva compass to this day. Not that I take many photos but most of mine back then were on slides and even today I rarely take that many photos. If folks are like me I can't stand looking through hordes of someone's holiday snaps and with the digital age where you can go snap happy most are just crap. My life is all in my head so when I go so will the memories but it's nice to see someone post up a few images to make you think and reminisce of the fun days gone by.

Your right too while looking back on the harder times and the fun getting by with what we had I'm happy to be able to live in this modern world as we do enjoying better stuff. Parts of me would be happy to go back but part of me is happy to be where I am but your images flooded me with my own great memories so for that thanks.

Ricky

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:52 pm

What I don't miss about touring in the 70s:

- stuffing grass/ferns under the tent floor for 'comfort'
- climbing mountains with a low of 38"
- centre-pull brakes on steel rims (especially in the wet)
- nylon 'rainjackets'
- polyester saddlebag-style panniers
- trying to cook on a hexamine solid fuel folding stove
- Eveready D-cell head and tail-lights
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Scotness

Postby Scotness » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: Parts of me would be happy to go back but part of me is happy to be where I am but your images flooded me with my own great memories so for that thanks.

Ricky
That's great, it's a pleasure :-)

Now Il Padrone:

- stuffing grass/ferns under the tent floor for 'comfort'
Yes I remember doing that!

- centre-pull brakes on steel rims (especially in the wet)
Oh yeah - virtually useless

- nylon 'rainjackets'
Great use of inverted commas!

- trying to cook on a hexamine solid fuel folding stove
I'd forgotten about them!

- Eveready D-cell head and tail-lights
What?? Bleedin' luxury! Wha' I wouldn't have given for one of them......my generator suddenly added the weight of two elephants to my load when I was cycling - and not just normal elephants - I'm talking about the kind that eat lead weeties for breakfast

Of course it's inevitable that a post like this would end up like this! LOL

Scot