Restorations.....

slarv

Re: Restorations.....

Postby slarv » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 am

ldrcycles wrote:Great news, the Avoriaz i picked up is only a 52cm, so i can't be tempted into restoring it
Sounds like just my size (and my year)! Feel free to send it my way if you don't want it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Cool, i'll get some pics when i can and see what you think.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Got the BB, cranks, front derailleur and shift levers on the Peugeot, rummaged around and found a suitable headset and got the 2nd coat of black on the forks. 1st coat of colour on the Healing mudguards, final coat of green on the rims (just the thin red stripes to go now). I still haven't got the frames back from the powder coaters, stef has rung them a few times with no answer, and yesterday they rang back and left her a message saying to call back. I'm hoping this means they are just really busy but i'm worried because they have the Healing, and that bike is utterly irreplaceable. Fingers firmly crossed :? .

I'm now on the hunt for a tweed steed, the Malvern Star Torago that i was going to turn into a path racer a la the Pashly Guvnor has a weird size headtube and fork (32.5mm cups and a 26.5mm race :?: ). I could probably find a way around it but maybe it's a sign haha.

Still trying to hunt down paint pens for lining the lugs on Tom and doing the pinstriping on the Healing, Super Cheap Auto, Officeworks and one of the bigger paint shops near work have drawn a blank, maybe a craft supplies shop will have them.

creolenights

Postby creolenights » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Hamster wrote:Unless it really really needs repainting please leave it alone. The original paint, decals even the scratches are all part of the bike's history. A few minutes at a sandblaster and it's all gone forever.
Sounds like good advice, I picked up a Repco olympic 12 today from the local tip shop and its in great rideable condition with just a little surface rust here and there. My first thought was to paint it because the colour does nothing for me (red and white). But the paint is in really good condition so stripping away its identity just seems wrong.

I'll give it a clean & polish and see how it comes up.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:45 pm

Got the frames back from the blasters! Turns out there was just a mix up with communication, the frames were actually ready last week and they rang my phone but something must have gone wrong as i didn't get the message. They've done a nice job on them, though as with the Peugeot forks, now that all the filth is off the Healing i can see the damage from my dad's serious crash back in the late 50s. The top tube is bent in 2 directions, though not badly, and i may leave it as it tells a story, but the rear triangle is skewed right off to one side and will need fixing. Another call to the frame builder.

The frames are all looking very nice, and the Viscount is now in getting done. Paint will go on the ladies Healing tomorrow arvo, along with the 2nd coat of colour for the mens Healing mudguards, and maybe the red stripes on the rims. Clear coat on the Peugeot forks and then i should be able to finish building it. Hopefully i will get the Tarini wheels trued and build up the Fellini as well.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Didn't get as much done the other day as i hoped, but then i rarely do! Turns out i've run out of clear coat (or i've misplaced it which has the same result) so the Peugeot forks are still waiting. I did get the 2nd coat of colour on the Healing mudguards though, and got the 1st coats on the ladies frame and forks, and the forks for the mens Healing.

The Tarini wheels still need to be trued, and i'm about to tighten the headset on the Mercier and pop on the gumwalls i got for her. I STILL haven't got the Fellini built up yet (or even stripped for that matter) i really need to get cracking on that.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 pm

A bit more progress, i've got the final coat of colour on the ladies frame and forks, the Mercier has her new gumwalls and the headset is sorted (and popping the computer on this arvo), and i'm very pleased to say the Peugeot Iseran is now finished.
Put in a solid effort last night and got her together, 300EX groupset with silver Mavic Aksiums (i was going to build up a period correct wheelset with Exage hubs and FIR rims but time is a bit short for that), looks fantastic. Until i get my hands on a 6 speed cassette or 7 speed shifter it will have to run in friction mode. No pics yet unfortunately but i should have some up within a day or two.

The mens Healing is back from the frame builder, he did an exceptionally good job of straightening out the top tube (it still has a little kink near the head tube he couldn't fix but it tells a story so i'm quite happy for that to be there) and you would never know the rear triangle had been bent. Should start painting it Wednesday evening.

Only 11 days to go now, i'm really going to have to push hard to get everything done on time.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Got a day off work today but it's been cut down a lot by needing a sleep in to recharge my batteries. Just having a break now from painting, it is absolutely BOILING in there. I'm partway through the final colour on the men's Healing, it is dark green with white faded panels on EVERY tube, in hindsight i think i would have been better to paint the whole frame white first, then put the green on from the tube junctions out. But oh well.

It's coming along fairly well, first time i've done fades and with the importance of this bike it's nerve-wracking.

I got my hands on some pin striping stickers the other day and once the men's painting is complete i'll start applying the pinstriping to the ladies frame. Oh the men's mudguards are almost finished too, final coat of green went on this morning so once that's dry all they need is the red stripes (which is where the rims are at too, but i'm still waiting for the spoke washers to arrive so i can get them built up).

Got the headset on the Tom Wallace sorted out, the only thing stopping him from being completed today is that oversized front axle, i can't find a file here so it will have to wait til i can borrow one from work.

Had a go at truing the wheels on the Tarini but the front rim has a buckle in it that won't cooperate, i think i'll just leave those wheels on for the show and then if it's to be ridden i'll sling on some Mavic Aksiums i have spare. The headset on that one may cause some issues too, i'll have to take her for a test ride when i get a chance and see what eventuates.

Hoping to grab a pic of the completed Peugeot Iseran this afternoon.

Busy busy busy!

P.S. Still the Fellini to be done and if i'm very lucky i might get the Viscount back before the weekend so i can have a crack at getting it done (although 6 days is a VERY short time for a restoration!).

cotterpin

Postby cotterpin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey Idrcycles, best chapter yet, looking forward to seeing pics, in particular the Tom Wallace.
Cheers
a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 am

Been a while since i've had pics to put up, hopefully it's worth the wait!

The Healing, colour is finished, now just needs pinstriping, decals and clear coat.

The Peugeot Iseran at my brother's place.

And last but not least, my Tom Wallace, i've done the gold lug lining (not very well but it looks ok from a distance and i can tidy it up in due course) just needs the chain and brown cotton bar tape. I'm really happy with how he's looking.

Lots of work still to do, hopefully i will get most of it done over the weekend. The spoke washers for the Healing rims have arrived so i can finally get those and the hubs into the LBS for building.

EDIT: forgot to apologise for the poor quality of the pics, my phone camera wasn't really happy with the amount of light available. Also the white on the Healing is actually a creamier colour than it shows, the Huffy saddle on the Peugeot is temporary, and those are my brother's SPDs on it :) .

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:59 am

i so need to pull my finger out. the more i read, the more i think i should bring something with dt shifters.

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey Guys, I picked up this 'Avanti Exage' as a freebie to replace my old commuter after I stacked it. I've been riding it for 6 or so months and during a week off I decided to give it a bit of a spuce up with some parts I had in the shed from other bikes. It's my first real attempt at something like this.

Original Bike

I used WD40 and turps to clean the frame up. It got a fair few little dings and a lot of paint chips and probably needs a respray to do the job properly but for me that was a step to far at the moment.

Pulled it to bits and read on here about Autosol as a polishing produce so gave that a go. Most of the parts came up really well, the head stem and handle bars not so much, but they were in pretty poor nick and I think would need it be rubbed back to get all the scratches out of them

before

after

polished derailer and chainring/cranks

Tiagra brakes installed and handlebars put back on

The finished product

Widened the frame to accomodate Tiagra 9 speed cluster on Shimano 550 wheels
New Bottom Bracket
Tigra Brakes
Tiagra Brifters
Scott Tri Bar
New Seat

I'm pretty happy with it, So much so that now I don't know if I want to use it as an all weather commuter anymore !!!!
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Good work, that looks nice, especially with the Scott aerobars.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

Had a great day yesterday, Tom is now finished! Got a 'Red Star' brand chain from the LBS and it's exactly what i wanted, really fat and chunky. Then he just needed the bar tape. To get the feel i wanted i got some Newbaums brand cotton bar tape from the US (along with some PDW bamboo bar plugs :) ) and that went on surprisingly well. Finished it off with cotton twine, like you see in this youtube vid by Rivendell bikes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO8DcaOJzrA (mute the sound if you're not a fan of jazz). It came together perfectly, sadly i couldn't get enough light happening to get a photo. When i forst got the wheels built up (Novatec seled bearing high flange hubs with Sun CR18 rims, 27 x 1 1/4 naturally) i was rather deflated, as they just looked like new wheels, nothing like the 'period but new' feel i had wanted. Now that the bike is all built up though, and the wheels are shod with gumwalls, it looks exactly like i wanted :D .

Then it was on to the Healings, i've decided not to worry about pinstriping them, it would be a nice touch but i just haven't got the time. And with the white fades on the mens frame it wouldn't really add that much to it i think. Got the red stripes/clear coat on the rims and mudguards (rims and hubs are off to the LBS today to be built), the red stripes were extremely difficult work and while they look pretty good on the mudguards, the rims are a bit below par (to be honest they look a bit rubbish).

Popped the decals on the frames, which look fantastic, then clear coated. I'll get another coat of clear on them on wednesday, then start building them thursday. Shouldn't be too tricky to get them built up.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:29 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Good work, that looks nice, especially with the Scott aerobars.
I was about to say looks nice *apart* from the Scott aerobars! Not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

I need to get some o' that Autosol onto my bits and pieces, makes all the difference. I wouldn't bother with a re-spray, paint looks in good enough condition, colors are nice. Since you've modernised it a bit with the wheels and components, I think the original paint helps to show the history and subsequent evolution of the bike. I really like it, nice work.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Finished it off with cotton twine, like you see in this youtube vid by Rivendell bikes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO8DcaOJzrA (mute the sound if you're not a fan of jazz).
Well, given the quality Rivendell normally come up with I'm a bit disappointed with the finish in the video.
I much prefer my wife's handiwork.
She learned the art from her father, a professional fisherman. It's a standard twine whipping technique used when binding guides onto fishing rods.
Cheers
Richard

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Well my effort isn't going to win any awards either but you've got to start somewhere :) . With practice i'd like to get to your wife's standard.

P.S. I know nothing about fishing so i thought this was a very special obscure bicycle thing :) .

Oh and turns out i won't be getting my hands on the Viscount til Thursday arvo, so it will have to wait for next year. I could go nuts and get it ready by the weekend but i know where that will end up, me working on it at 3 in the morning before the show and then not being able to enjoy the day as much as i should.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 pm

The day finally arrived! I got the wheels for the mens Healing from cognition very late yesterday arvo (they gave him a hell of a headache because of the unusual size, and because the rims were about as straight and true as a politician) then started sorting out the mudguards etc. Finished off the ladies bike last night, and then finally got the mens bike finished 10 mins before the show (except for the clamp for the reaction arm on the rear hub, the one that came with the new hub wouldn't fit the old oval tubing, haven't been able to fit the clamp from the old hub yet).

All up i had 8 bikes there, the 2 Healings, the Tarini, my Dawes fixy, the Lawrencia, the Mercier, the Peugeot and the Tom Wallace. Can't get any pics up just yet but they looked fantastic all lined up together.

My girlfriend and i rocked up in our outfits, and looked great, especially alongside the bikes. It was an absolute hoot, and we were blown away by how many people wanted to get photos :) .

I couldn't believe it when Darrell Mccullough of Lewellyn bikes demanded i show him "that Healing i've heard about" and then proceeded to pore over it, chattering about how he used to work on those sorts of headsets, cranks etc when he first started working in a bike shop with Eric Hendren of Hoffy cycles.
The bikes he brought up for the show were absolutely spectacular, it'll be a while before my painting skills are a match for Joe Cosgrove.

I also took the opportunity to propose to my girlfriend, and i don't know if it was the WD40 fumes or the vintage clothes but something made her say yes!
All in all, a pretty perfect day :D .

cotterpin

Postby cotterpin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:53 pm

WD40! could it be the new social lubricant?? CONGRATULATIONS.
a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:17 pm

cray- wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Good work, that looks nice, especially with the Scott aerobars.
I was about to say looks nice *apart* from the Scott aerobars! Not my cup of tea, but each to their own.
Nice job, hate the aero-bars though. Out of context on that bike.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

chrisboll

Postby chrisboll » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 am

I have picked up a Raleigh Grand Prix that is in serious need of some TLC. The chain has rusted up, as has one pedal spindle, and the cables and tyres need some attention. There is some surface rust at the usual places.

My questions are:

If I can get the pedal apart is it worth trying to clean it up, keeping the bike fully original?

Should I be looking at taking apart all the bearing for cleaning and lubrication?

Haven't had a chance to take any pics yet but will and post as the project progresses.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Dragged all the bikes out onto the lawn the other day for some piccies...

(these are just the ones that are rideable, there's another few dozen in various stages).

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 pm

From left to right in the 2nd photo

Front Row
1955 Healing
1981 Lawrencia
1980s Univega Supra Sport
1970s Ashby
1989 Tarini Primo
1990 Repco Olympic 12

Back row
1955 Healing
1985 Dawes Shadow
1981 Mercier
1970s Tom Wallace
1995 Apollo Concorde
1991 Peugeot Iseran
Early 80s Fellini

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 pm

chrisboll wrote:I have picked up a Raleigh Grand Prix that is in serious need of some TLC. The chain has rusted up, as has one pedal spindle, and the cables and tyres need some attention. There is some surface rust at the usual places.

My questions are:

If I can get the pedal apart is it worth trying to clean it up, keeping the bike fully original?

Should I be looking at taking apart all the bearing for cleaning and lubrication?

Haven't had a chance to take any pics yet but will and post as the project progresses.
First things first, cut the chain off. I use bolt cutters but anything will do, just don't bother trying to use a chain breaker, i learnt that the hard way.

1) It's worth cleaning up the pedal, if for no other reason than just for the learning experience. All original is a good thing.

2) Yes. Chances are the grease is either not there or dried up, in either case it will need cleaning out and regreasing.

There's a Raleigh Appreciation thread on here, bang the pics and info up there and you should get some Raleigh specific help, i don't know much about them myself.

creolenights

Postby creolenights » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:01 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Dragged all the bikes out onto the lawn the other day for some piccies...

(these are just the ones that are rideable, there's another few dozen in various stages).
Wow :shock:

And I thought I was starting to have too many at 5 (currently)

p.s you have some nice bikes