Replacing Campag Record hub bearing cups

rogerrabbit

Replacing Campag Record hub bearing cups

Postby rogerrabbit » Sun May 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi,

I want to replace the bearing cups in a Record hub (1982 I think). I have a donor hub with good cups in it.

Are there any home remedies to getting these out? Or is it off to the bike shop and let them do it with the right tools?

Roger

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon May 05, 2008 10:17 am

Geting ruined cups out isn't too hard. Simply get a welder to run a good solid bead of weld around the inside of the cup. As the weld cools it physically shrinks the cup & once it's cool, the cup should fall out.

Geting the donor ones out will be a bit more difficult & destroying the hub might end up being an option.

Have you tried sourcing new ones? There was someone selling new ones, front & rear, on eBay a little while back, so they do exist as a spare part & I fitted new ones to one of my hubs about 20 years back.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

LittleWheelsandBig

Postby LittleWheelsandBig » Mon May 05, 2008 4:23 pm

It is pretty easy to remove and refit Campag cups without damage, if you use the right tools. They are similar to tools for fitting and removing sealed bearings. Can't help you on a source, they were made by a friend but are much the same as the sealed bearing removal kit on the bicycle research tools website (seemingly not allowed to post it here).

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks, I will dig up their website.

Cheers
Roger