Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Baalzamon

Re: Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Going back to the way it used to be.... :evil:
I was in the car today and saw where I think the path is going to go. Near maps hasn't been updated since 8 sept 2011 so no aerial data yet.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 am

Baalzamon wrote:Going back to the way it used to be.... :evil:
I was in the car today and saw where I think the path is going to go. Near maps hasn't been updated since 8 sept 2011 so no aerial data yet.
Yes - Looking from the north I noticed this evening that they have graded a flat track just under the Parry Ave bridge. On what is there it looks like it will pretty much wipe out the slope as it now exists.

I also notice that the Oct-Nov signage for works has been covered over with January ending now.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:03 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Going back to the way it used to be.... :evil:
Yes - Looking from the north I noticed this evening that they have graded a flat track just under the Parry Ave bridge. On what is there it looks like it will pretty much wipe out the slope as it now exists.

I also notice that the Oct-Nov signage for works has been covered over with January ending now.
Yep I spotted that when I was on the FWY. There was one person working on it and it looked quite flat. No hill there much now I believe.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:27 am

Be aware people who commute along the freeway at Bateman/Bull Creek, as of tomorrow there is a significant amble thru the 'burbs so alow a little extra time if you are on the clock.
Access to the Park and Ride car park at Bull Creek Station - Freeway widening project
Until March 2012
The access to the Park and Ride car park at Bull Creek station from Leach Highway eastbound will be temporarily
CLOSED. An alternative access will be in place via a detour. Road users will still be able to access the Park and Ride car park at Bull Creek station by following the detour signs that will be in place.

The detour route diagram (1 page PDF 201 KB) is available for download.

Visit the Kwinana Freeway Widening Project page for further information and updates on the project.
There are a number of maps detailed pasted over the existing signage of works. Currently the map referred to is not of use, perhaps it'll be replaced with the correct one later.

dino_onabike1969

Postby dino_onabike1969 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:24 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Be aware people who commute along the freeway at Bateman/Bull Creek, as of tomorrow there is a significant amble thru the 'burbs so alow a little extra time if you are on the clock.
Access to the Park and Ride car park at Bull Creek Station - Freeway widening project
Until March 2012
The access to the Park and Ride car park at Bull Creek station from Leach Highway eastbound will be temporarily
CLOSED. An alternative access will be in place via a detour. Road users will still be able to access the Park and Ride car park at Bull Creek station by following the detour signs that will be in place.

The detour route diagram (1 page PDF 201 KB) is available for download.

Visit the Kwinana Freeway Widening Project page for further information and updates on the project.
There are a number of maps detailed pasted over the existing signage of works. Currently the map referred to is not of use, perhaps it'll be replaced with the correct one later.
thanks Colin! :)
Giant TCR 2 Composite 2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:14 pm

The detour is, riding in to Perth (ie heading north):
  • From the junction where you normally go right and downhill to the two underpasses of the Freeway just south of the Bull Creek station you take the original track to the left instead.
  • Turn right at the T at Leach hifghway to the controlled intersection at the station, cross Leach and then head right around Selway Road in Brentwood.
  • You will arrive at the spot in the wall that you normally exit the path onto Selway and from there you are back on familiar terra about 1100 metres from where you started.
For those who have only been riding that route since the trains started, you are in for a frustrating delay at crossing Leach Highway. Assuming that you do it legally of course :wink:

The March referred to earlier appears to be only for the roadworks. Recent signage on the path indicates closure up to January some time. The barriers have not yet been put up so, up to this evening it was business as usual.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Just got an email with updates on the road works. Here's the relevant details for us:
  • Parry St Bridge Diversion - The detour will remain in place until March 2012.
  • Leach Highway Diversion - The detour will remain in place until May 2012. (Ugh, man I hate this detour)
  • Fiona Stanley Diversion - Pedestrian traffic on the southern side of South Street will be subject to a minor diversion whilst a slip lane to the Fiona Stanley Hospital site is upgraded. This detour is expected to be in place late February to March 2012. (Don't think this affects most riders)
  • South Street Works - The shared path under South Street will be reduced to one lane during the hours of 7am to 5pm Monday to Saturday for a period of 3 weeks starting late February. There will be traffic controllers with stop/go batons controlling cyclists and pedestrians travelling on the bike path to allow the construction of a temporary path.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Joy joy joy....
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Joe Black

Postby Joe Black » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:36 pm

It is April now, the cycle path is still closed.... sigh

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Bearing in mind that the Main Roads webpage for the works adjacent to the PSP only give an end of 'mid 2012' I'd think that we have at least another two months of detours. Looks about that if you can see the works from the freeway or train. The works previously done for the Fiona Stanley Hospital had us diverted for an extra 7 months. At least the weather isn't slowing things down, so far.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Ha, anyone else see the work they've done around Murdoch station now? 2m fence on both sides with barely enough room to squeeze two bikes through. With the way some people ride on the path, I don't see how we aren't going to have a bunch of collisions on that stretch now.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 am

A timely reminder to those riding the detour through bateman. Go easily as you cross Parry avenue out if the rather hidden path. I have had a few local comments about close calls and unpredictable moves. probably should also play it careful on the roundabout there too.

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 am

Can see the Parry Ave underpass starting to take shape, earth is levelled out and marking pegs in place. Much better angle of attack from both North and South directions.

Do we know if the section between here and Murdoch/South St is also getting attention?

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed May 16, 2012 4:09 pm

wizzfizz wrote:Do we know if the section between here and Murdoch/South St is also getting attention?
It sure looks like it, doesn't it? Almost seems like they're going to put the path on the east side of the wall, so no more hopping on the roads around there? I also noticed yesterday that they seem to be straightening out the path a bit where it goes under the northbound on-ramp from South St. I don't remember hearing anything about any other this though in the original plan, so could just be some related work that looks like path work. Would be nice though, those are a couple spots that aren't the most user-friendly.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed May 16, 2012 4:15 pm

wizzfizz wrote:Can see the Parry Ave underpass starting to take shape, earth is levelled out and marking pegs in place. Much better angle of attack from both North and South directions.

Do we know if the section between here and Murdoch/South St is also getting attention?
Yes it is planned to get fixed so no more hopping onto roads and watching for cars. Suspect would need to pay attention for gum nuts till tho

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 16, 2012 4:36 pm

wizzfizz wrote:Can see the Parry Ave underpass starting to take shape, earth is levelled out and marking pegs in place. Much better angle of attack from both North and South directions.

The draft Perth Bike Plan recently released idicated five ro so areas that first attention in there estimation. As I recall it indicated some attention to cycle-path separation down to South Street which would cover it.

I don't know whether the Plan has been accepted yet by the government, I suspect not. Perhaps Heinrich or Roland can comment.

Aphexchefpusher

Postby Aphexchefpusher » Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am

Baalzamon wrote:

Yes it is planned to get fixed so no more hopping onto roads and watching for cars. Suspect would need to pay attention for gum nuts till tho
From what I can see the path will now elminate the roads around that section, the surveyors pegs are the freeway side of the wall from South st and they were compacting it yesterday :D
SCOTT CR1 TEAM 2011
GIANT DEFY ADVANCED 2012
GIANT TCR ADVANCED SL 1 2013
TREK 5700 MTB 2006

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

That'll be great if they're bypassing those short on-road bits. Never liked those parts.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri May 18, 2012 1:32 pm

It looks like they are clearing vegetation and smoothing it out, so preliminary works. I also noticed they have removed a lot of fencing near this area, possibly to re-align the path in some sections.

Red is the current PSP, white is road connections for the current PSP, blue is what it looks like they will be doing:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:20 pm

It appears that they may be moving the fence that is on the west of the PSP around Bateman could be shifted to the other side of the path. All the fencing was rraken off the posts last wekend.

If so then riders will have to ready for a little more ped and bike traffic coming on NOT thru just clearly defined entrances.

And it seems that we will be getting new (smoother?) path onto the PSP from Parry Avenue, though there was little wrong with the old one but it presumably will be joing the main path lower down. :?:

Does anyone have any idea when this or the northerly direction Freeway works are now going to be completed.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 pm

The Main Roads website is stating last month as when finishing, so a few months behind by the look. On Sunday next weekend they're closing the carpark to the northwest of Murdoch train station, this'll mean that the currently closed bikepath adjacent to the northbound freeway exit ramp will be impinged by a temporary carpark being opened on 15 July to the west of that exit ramp (plus an exit road cutting across the path) and there are yet to be started major works for a new freeway exit ramp where that northern carpark is. So the circus is still in town.

.i guess while we're waiting for all this construction to start and finish please watch out for any traffic entering the new temporary carpark from 15 July onwards, from off South St or Murdoch Dr.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:17 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:The Main Roads website is stating last month as when finishing, so a few months behind by the look. On Sunday next weekend they're closing the carpark to the northwest of Murdoch train station, this'll mean that the currently closed bikepath adjacent to the northbound freeway exit ramp will be impinged by a temporary carpark being opened on 15 July to the west of that exit ramp (plus an exit road cutting across the path) and there are yet to be started major works for a new freeway exit ramp where that northern carpark is. So the circus is still in town.

.i guess while we're waiting for all this construction to start and finish please watch out for any traffic entering the new temporary carpark from 15 July onwards, from off South St or Murdoch Dr.
That would probably be reflecting the intention before they decided that, for reasons stated only as "technical error" (or similar) , while the southern lanes were completed the northern lanes completion date was being pushed out. It was a substantial extra time but I cannot recall when that is.

What did they do wrong? Make a surveying/pegging error?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:41 pm

I found a press release - now due to be done in December.

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:44 pm

And here we go again, new detour starting on the 15th:

Awesome, now I've got 3 detours to deal with every single day. At least time they don't have us going all the way over to Murdoch Drive. But that stupid light at South St takes bloody ages to turn.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 pm

When you get to South St heading south stay on the bikepath and take a right, halfway between the freeway and Murdoch Dr is a crossover point, before we had the underpasses on South St this used to be the alternative to waiting at the South St lights, often a faster crossing, except in peak hour. This crossing also connects to Urbahns Rd, I sometimes head for this from the Parry Ave detour instead of trying to get back onto the much maligned bikepath. You'd turn right at Parry Ave instead of trying left for the bikepath, left on Marsengo Rd, after it doglegs right turn left on Broadhurst Cres then take Urbahns. We're back to the old backroads for a while.

I checked out the new carpark and bikepath last night. Besides the new traffic lights to also negotiate when Fiona Wood Rd (heading south on the map above) hits Barry Marshall Pde (east-west road) you can now take Barry Marshall to shortcut across to Murdoch Dr. They haven't cut Barry Marshall through to the current freeway offramp yet, maybe today or tomorrow, so the map above isn't the full story.