Ngunnawal to Woden - best road bike route

ACT SC600

Ngunnawal to Woden - best road bike route

Postby ACT SC600 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:55 am

hi, jumped on the pushy this morning to ride from home (Ngunnawal) to work (woden)...my journey took me up Gungahlin drive...left onto the barton...right onto Northbourne (followed that to adelaide Avenue) then adelaide Avenue all the way to Woden... is this the best way (safest) or do I have other options?

cheers Chris

Ross

Re: Ngunnawal to Woden - best road bike route

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:33 pm

I live out that way too and that's the way I go.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 am

Not that i live in town any more, but when i used to live in Bruce and ride to Woden, i went Scrivener Dam way.

So what would it be like following GDE (good shoulder for riding isn't it) all the way to Glenloch Interchange, then cross Scrivener and go the back way through Curtin. I reckon it would be shorter.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Do you want safest or fastest?

There are a few segments where you could go via the cycle path for a safer option but they might add a bit of time onto the journey. Fastest would likely be what you did this morning.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

konazz

Postby konazz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 am

Fastest would be smashing down Northbourne > Commonwealth Bridge > Adelaide Ave (I used to go Civic / Phillip).

Safest (and potentially more enjoyable) would be scriviner.

Either follow the GDE onto Coulter Dr, then jump off the road (AT) the Glenlock interchange onto the bike path towards Scriviner, or cut through belco (UC or along GDE until Belco way) and get back to Bindubi dr bike path, towards the lake.

After the dam follow the path into Curtin and under the massive round-about in Woden, or if you want a nice side trip go via Weston Creek if you want a speedy blast with minimal walkers between Scriviner and Molonglo.

But they're all 'scenic' trips - when riding to Woden from Macgregor/holt,I still use ginenderra drive, as Belco area is a PITA for bikers in the morning until you get past the big owl.
2011 Allegro Touring 105 groupo, Ultegra Velocity Deep V rims

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:20 pm

the big owl or the big :shock: :wink: :lol: