Chesini Chapter

RonK

Chesini Chapter

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 am

I'm about to take delivery of a Chesini frame and assorted componentry. See my folly thread here.
I have seen a few references in various threads, and would be very interested to know if there are other Chesini owners on the forum, and if they gave any information they can share about the brand.
I'm looking for information to aid model/year identification and component specifications so I can select period correct components.
So far I have located some old Chesini catalogues online and will write to the Chesini company shortly to see what information they can provide.
If there are any Chesini owners out there, it would be great to hear from you.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

morini

Re: Chesini Chapter

Postby morini » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 pm

I've got one as well. I bought it last year off ebay for $100 odd dollaroos because I guess no one noticed it. A nice surprise on mine is that it has the sale date and bike shop who sold it written in the fork stem. This one has a 27.2 seat post and Columbus stickers so I guess it's reasonable quality. It came with a mixed bag of Campag Record and Shimano Tri Colour gear.

I don't know much about the company apart from it being another small Italian frame maker. It's definately a desirable frame. Just a bit too small for me to ever find out how much.

Cheers
Chris

RonK

Chesini Chapter

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Fantastic buy at that price Chris. I had to pay much more than that. Too bad about the size though.
So what model do you have and when and who sold it?

morini

Postby morini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Mona Vale Cycles 1988. I don't know the model as half the stickers have flaked off and after a quick look on Bulgier I've drawn a blank. I'll get some snaps up so you and some lurkers might throw more light on it. I'm going to eventually build it up for one of my kids with either a Mavic group, a Superbe Pro or a Campag group............once I track down the last few bits for each. Takes bl##dy years to assemble these things.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Helps if you look closer. It's a Gran Pemio.

RonK

Chesini Chapter

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 pm

morini wrote:Mona Vale Cycles 1988. I don't know the model as half the stickers have flaked off and after a quick look on Bulgier I've drawn a blank. I'll get some snaps up so you and some lurkers might throw more light on it. I'm going to eventually build it up for one of my kids with either a Mavic group, a Superbe Pro or a Campag group............once I track down the last few bits for each. Takes bl##dy years to assemble these things.
I didn't reaise that Chesinis were ever sold in Australia. If you want replacement stickers you can get them from Cyclemondo, an Australian supplier.

From the 1985 catalogue, this looks like your bike. Lists the components too, if you want to do a period correct build. You can see the full 1985 catalogue here.

freshpatents

Postby freshpatents » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi,
I also have the Gran Premio model here in Brisbane. Paint is about the same as yours with a little surface rust in places. Another one for restoration when the funds are available.
Nice riding bikes even though the Gran Premio runs a particularly steep steerer tube angle.
As mentioned you can get the decals from Greg Softley and if you're interested have a look at his nice Chesini X-Uno on his Flickr pages.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 am

There is a very nice Chesini X Uno frame currently offered on eBay - size 49/52cm, blue chromovelato colour scheme identical to my Chesini Precision 83 and looks to be in very good condition.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:19 pm

RonK wrote:There is a very nice Chesini X Uno frame currently offered on eBay - size 49/52cm, blue chromovelato colour scheme identical to my Chesini Precision 83 and looks to be in very good condition.
I'm watching this (not buying) as its a small size, no bids yet?. In Europe small sizes seem to sell well?
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Mustang wrote:
RonK wrote:There is a very nice Chesini X Uno frame currently offered on eBay - size 49/52cm, blue chromovelato colour scheme identical to my Chesini Precision 83 and looks to be in very good condition.
I'm watching this (not buying) as its a small size, no bids yet?. In Europe small sizes seem to sell well?
Nice isn't it? The X Uno is of course the top-of-the-line model.

I doubt you will see many bids until just before the bidding ends - nobody wants to show an interest by placing a bid and starting a bidding war, pushing the price up. If you want it, use AuctionSniper to place a bid in the last five seconds.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:54 am

RonK wrote:
Mustang wrote:
Nice isn't it? The X Uno is of course the top-of-the-line model.

I doubt you will see many bids until just before the bidding ends - nobody wants to show an interest by placing a bid and starting a bidding war, pushing the price up. If you want it, use AuctionSniper to place a bid in the last five seconds.
I wont in this case but I loose a lot of bids by a small margin, does "AuctionSniper" get over this, my last experience with a sniper programme had my account hyjcked 3 x times in a few days???
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 am

Yeah, I missed out often until I realised what was happening. The only way to win was to join the snipers.
Now I just set my top price and forget about it. That way I don't loose any sleep, don't reveal my interest to others, and don't get auction fever and pay too much.
If your account was hijacked it would seem the sniper service you used had a security problem.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 am

Spotted another NOS Chesini Precision Mod.83 Cromovelato for sale on eBay, 56.5cm, if anybody would like one...