Completion of Bay Run ?

find_bruce

Completion of Bay Run ?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Latest gumph from my local member says the NSW budget includes $1m to complete the bay run from south st to Victoria rd.

Anyone heard when this is meant to be happening ?

Timmeh

Re: Completion of Bay Run ?

Postby Timmeh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Yep, all the info is at http://www.canadabay.nsw.gov.au/council ... y_run.html

"Funds are available to undertake the works between Thompson Street and South Street. Work in this section will be carried out in the last half of this year. Completion
of the remaining section from South Street to Iron Cove Bridge will be subject to future grants and council funding." Might be waiting a long time for full completion...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks Timmeh, yes I know the work from Thompson St to South St is planned for later this year - ie one whole block, about 200 m.

If you re-read my post, what interested me was the statement about funding for the completion of South St to Victoria Road (ie Iron Cove Bridge) - it is this later section that is supposedly in the Budget but I cannot find any info about when it will be built.

Timmeh

Postby Timmeh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Just recieved the same above mentioned gumph from local member. Presumably council can't start the work until they have the cash in the bank from the above mentioned local member. I've emailed Mr Sidoti to find out when that will be. Note that $1M doesn't go very far these days and it wouldn't surprise me if it weren't enough, meaning timing will be "subject to further council funding"....

Now, is there any link between your chat last year with said local member and the mooted appearance of cash for a SUP?? I think you may be able to soon claim success on your advocacy mission!

find_bruce

Completion of Bay Run ?

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Cheers Timmeh,

Very flattering, but the hard work has been done by others.

Let us know when Sidotti replies - maybe we should organise another local social ride

Timmeh

Postby Timmeh » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 am

Here's the response from the office:

"Sorry I haven't responded earlier as I needed to obtain the information from the relevant departments.
The government has contributed funding to this project for works to be undertaken in the current financial year. The project is being managed and delivered by Canada Bay Council. Council have advised that detailed design is currently being finalised. The Project is to be delivered in two stages with the first stage to commence this financial year, however start/finish dates are yet to be confirmed."

This of course doesn't answer the question of funding for South St to Victoria Rd. Reading between the lines, no funding has been committed for this section yet. And I can't find the flyer to confirm the wording. Wool and eyes come to mind??

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 pm

personally I would have much rathered a bike lane rather than shared path

those shared paths are lethal with off-leash dogs/children and absent minded peds
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Oh I hear you about the ped etc hazards. It was much worse when first opened, but at times it can still be pretty ordinary. My strategy at busier times is to try to ride clockwise so I am as far from the peds as possible but that doesn't always help. The current gold medal goes to the prize idiots who were jogging as a pack of about 12 completely blocking the bike side. I still don't know how I managed to avoid ploughing through them. Honourable mention to the gooses jogging 3 abreast, blocking both lanes & just for good measure they wererunning backwards. I was awfully tempted to ride between two and smack them across the back of the head as I passed.

Don't think that a separate bike lane would improve things - I still come accross plenty of peds who think King St & Union St bike paths are good places to stand / walk / jog.

I am however encouraging every rider to use the bike path - nothing like use to help keep it clear of peds, especially if they are quick cyclists.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:Don't think that a separate bike lane would improve things - I still come accross plenty of peds who think King St & Union St bike paths are good places to stand / walk / jog.
nah I didn't mean a separate lane, just a lane on the road. at least then people won't run in it, although you may get people parking in it. unless you made it no parking of course
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Aneyh

Postby Aneyh » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:I am however encouraging every rider to use the bike path - nothing like use to help keep it clear of peds, especially if they are quick cyclists.
I'm new to the area and looking for paths to ride. How fast can you ride there ?

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 am

aneyh, you can safely maintain an average speed of about 30km/h on the parts with a separated path but the shared path section along drobroyd parade to the bridge is much slower, especially in the evenings when the path gets busy!

if you are looking for local places to ride i recommend the cooks river cycleway and centennial park, both of them are safe to go nice and quick!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:16 am

JV911 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Don't think that a separate bike lane would improve things - I still come accross plenty of peds who think King St & Union St bike paths are good places to stand / walk / jog.
nah I didn't mean a separate lane, just a lane on the road. at least then people won't run in it, although you may get people parking in it. unless you made it no parking of course
That's why the on-road lanes don't work - because people park in them, making the lanes useless. So rather than being in the bike lane, you are in the traffic lane because a Cayenne or Landcruiser has taken the entire width of the bicycle lane (aka nice parking lane).

Even if it is a shared path, it's better than none at all for getting more people into the idea of riding a bike for commuting. THe designs look pretty promising.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:38 pm

Excellent! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.