Route - SOP to Holsworthy

vander

Route - SOP to Holsworthy

Postby vander » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 pm

I have to commute to Holsworthy soon I was wondering if anyone knew a safe but somewhat fast route. This is what I have come up with so far are any of these roads ones to avoid?

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=utf- ... CBUQ8gEwAg

Hopefully that keeps all the points I put in.

Sydguy

Re: Route - SOP to Holsworthy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 am

Hi

That will be a decent commute. You cycling to the base there?

The map did not store the route, it just shows Holsworthy.

Will you commute during peak hour?

Cheers
JM

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 am

This is my old commute from Rhodes to Mt Annan. Almost goes right past Holsworthy.
http://app.strava.com/rides/2501108

Couple of points: From Hume Hwy southbound along Roberts Rd to Norfolk Rd, I was on the western footpath. No way was I going to ride Roberts Rd in peak hour southbound!
2010 BMC SLC01

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 pm

I will be outside of the morning peak. In the afternoon I will be pretty close to peak. Leaving there at around 3:30. Yea going to the Base. Gotta go to Moorebank Ave.

(AT) Hannos where you on a footpath for the other part on centenary drive? I think that could be pretty hectic!

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Nope. I come out a tthe top of the hill on Centenary Drive and hit the crossing button. When the lights change I take off down the hill towards Hume Hwy. I usually push it a bit along there to get as far along as possible before the lights change and the traffic catches up.
There's a dodgy 1m wide 'breakdown' lane thing along there so it's not too bad.
2010 BMC SLC01

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 pm

I have driven that heaps and havent noticed the breakdown lane that is more then enough for me. Thanks looks like a good route will try it out next week.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Vander

This is the way I go from Voyager Point to SOP. It's on quiet roads and quite an enjoyable ride. You can cross the Georges R from East Hills to Voyager Point by using the footbridge. Once you're at Voyager Point, the army base is just a couple of k's along Heathcote Rd, which has a good breakdown lane.

Cheers, Marcus

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UT ... 95958b35bb
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 pm

+1 on what MREJ says - it's similar to the Direct Route from SOP to East Hills on Ride The City: http://www.ridethecity.com/#2145170

I prefer to use East St at Lidcombe (rather than Vaughan St), then head west at Georges Ave
towards Campbell St Berala as there are less speed bumps and less contention with traffic.

Safest Route on RTC is via the Liverpool Rail Trail : http://www.ridethecity.com/#2145169, but I'm not sure about the
section on Henry Lawson Drive south of Newbridge Rd - it's heavily trafficked by trucks etc.., in peak hour that are
(IIRC) fairly free flowing. And there's also some hairy bits around the railway stations in peak hours.

The safer route on RTC http://www.ridethecity.com/#2145177 shows another option that goes by Dunc Gray velodrome,
and would be a bit more relaxed than the William St/Edgar St/Queen St option shown in the direct route. The section
of Henry Lawson Drive north of Newbridge Rd is usually bumper to bumper in peak hour and has a good enough shoulder
to ride around from the overbridge (near Marsden) to Rabual Rd where the decent cycleway starts on the western
side of HLD.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks guys. The one I had was similar to the 3rd one you linked Wombat. Gives me a couple of options to try out.

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Hannos went your way today just wondering do you go the same way back? There were a few little bit dodgier spots on the way back.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 am

vander wrote:Hannos went your way today just wondering do you go the same way back? There were a few little bit dodgier spots on the way back.
Yep pretty much the same way noth ways.
Which bit did you find a bit dodgy?
2010 BMC SLC01

vander

Postby vander » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:09 pm

hannos wrote:
vander wrote:Hannos went your way today just wondering do you go the same way back? There were a few little bit dodgier spots on the way back.
Just through Punchbowl at Rossmore Rd. And then where you arent meant to go straight on acacia ave.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 am

vander wrote:
hannos wrote:
Just through Punchbowl at Rossmore Rd. And then where you arent meant to go straight on acacia ave.

Yeah um...

I take a couple of 'liberties' so I stay on the quiet backstreets there on Acacia Rd. I use the traffic island and pretend I'm a pedestrian to cross Wattle St. Juno Pde... Yes I admit I ignore the No Right Turn sign there, both ways. Usually isn't a problem as there's always a very large gap in traffic due to the traffic light signals. The alternative would be to take Rawson Rd up to Waterloo Rd and ride that all the way to Wattle Rd. Two things with that, the road surface is horrid and you have a shopping centre to deal with. And if it is School time you have all those soccer mums in their 4x4 prams ferrying their children about. And we know how observant they are...

Northbound I ride this route through Punchbowl. It keeps it legal and is safer.
http://app.strava.com/rides/2501107
2010 BMC SLC01

vander

Postby vander » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:29 pm

That was that exact route I took today (without looking at your post first) through punchbowl seemed fine. I must admit I have done it a few times and it was only the first day I had trouble on acacia ave so maybe not such a problem. Cheers its a good route.