Bike Fits In Adelaide REBOOTED

coxi06

Bike Fits In Adelaide REBOOTED

Postby coxi06 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Since the last thread on the topic did a downward spiral I want to revisit the topic of bike fits in Adelaide.
I am a devoted customer of JT Brighton and have bought my last 2 bikes from there, have a great relationship with 2 of the staff and love the way they do things.
My best mate got a BG Fit from there on a roadie and tri bike and has really talked it up...HOWEVER...the cost is a little steep. I understand that it's approx 3hrs and is extremely in depth and blah blah blah but is it really worth it?
Has anyone else done the BG Fit? Was it really worth the money?
Or are there other, not necessarily cheaper, but highly recommended places to get a fit where the staff are not only friendly, but know their stuff, and not knob about it.
I am willing to part with the money for a BG Fit but if there is something better please let me know

Dr_Mutley

Re: Bike Fits In Adelaide REBOOTED

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:06 pm

coxi06 wrote:Since the last thread on the topic did a downward spiral I want to revisit the topic of bike fits in Adelaide.
I am a devoted customer of JT Brighton and have bought my last 2 bikes from there, have a great relationship with 2 of the staff and love the way they do things.
My best mate got a BG Fit from there on a roadie and tri bike and has really talked it up...HOWEVER...the cost is a little steep. I understand that it's approx 3hrs and is extremely in depth and blah blah blah but is it really worth it?
Has anyone else done the BG Fit? Was it really worth the money?
Or are there other, not necessarily cheaper, but highly recommended places to get a fit where the staff are not only friendly, but know their stuff, and not knob about it.
I am willing to part with the money for a BG Fit but if there is something better please let me know
The BG fit at JTs would be the most indepth fit in Adelaide, and probably the most pricey, but this isnt necessarily better. You will find alot of fitters in adelaide, forget (or dont want to ) address the foot/shoe/cleat interface, and jump straight into fitting the rider to the bike. The addressing of the foot/pedal interface is usually the most time consuming, and important part of the fit, and no other part of the fit can be accurate without getting that initial piece of the puzzle first.

As i understand it, the BG fit does address this in depth, although it maybe because they can sell you more product given Specialized make alot of insoles/shoes/wedges etc (ok thats a bit cynical - sorry).

I have seen fits at 4 of the major LBSs in Adelaide and none of them have addressed the foot/pedal interface as part of the fit. None have used any cleat wedging of any sort, and have left the cleats in the exact position they came affixed to the shoe. I have not seen a fit at JTs, but a couple of friends have been quite happy, and have explained the process they went through in detail.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:12 pm

This is interesting, as I really have a problem with my cleat alignment. I am happy with everything else about my fit, but the cleat alignment still gets me. Ages ago I went to corsa cycle centre, and they addressed it there (my shoes and cleats have since changed numerous times and I haven't been back). I was thinking of going back there, but if there are other options I would like to hear them. Cheers.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:59 pm

I've been meaning to get one done for yonks, Corsa in the end was where i ended up thinking I would go but just never got around to it. :roll:
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:23 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:This is interesting, as I really have a problem with my cleat alignment. I am happy with everything else about my fit, but the cleat alignment still gets me. Ages ago I went to corsa cycle centre, and they addressed it there (my shoes and cleats have since changed numerous times and I haven't been back). I was thinking of going back there, but if there are other options I would like to hear them. Cheers.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54983

Buy one of these and do it urself? Just follow the basics on cleat positioning for the Hoggster... ;-)

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

looks good, but seems I would have to first have them in the correct position?

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Just to jump start this again I had a bike fit last week at The Bike Station with Simon and can highly recommend it if you are looking for a place to go. I thought I would wait a week or so before I posted in case the adjustments made didn't make any difference on the road. Cleat position, saddle height and position were all adjusted and tested with the result being much added power especially up Mt Lofty and on the flats. The fit took about an hour all up with the suggestion of dropping by anytime for a bit of fine tuning if needed. $150 was the price as nothing was needed to be done with stem length etc as all the changes were in the saddle.
Definitely worth my time and money.

Tim

roreybellows

Postby roreybellows » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Went in to the Bike Station a couple of weeks ago to get a fit done. Had continuous patella tendonitis while riding before I had the fit.. turns out my saddle was about 5cm too low. So saddle was raised and changed to a 110mm stem instead of the 100mm. Going good now.. back to riding pain free.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:48 am

I bought my last bike at Bike Station and had my fit done by Noel. He spent a fair bit of time on cleat position, the rest of the fit he gauged by eye initially and was so close only minor tweaks were needed to get it spot on. That was 12 months ago, haven't been back since to change anything and still feel as comfortable on the bike today as I did then.
Had a fit done by another LBS on my previous bike which was OK but nowhere near as much attention to detail as Noel.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:28 pm

Sorry if I've missed something, but shouldn't your cleat always be positioned in the flexing axis of your feet? why does that require someone to fit?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:53 pm

usernameforme wrote:Sorry if I've missed something, but shouldn't your cleat always be positioned in the flexing axis of your feet? why does that require someone to fit?
There are many factors to be taken into consideration in cleat position, and many theories on the appropriate fore/aft position depending on riding style...

Have a read of Steve Hoggs article on cleat position for a good synopsis

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Steve Nash (AT) Corsa Cycles fitted my gf back in 2008 and she rode across Oz solo. No injuries at all from cycling. I rate Steve Nash as an experienced bike fitter in Radelaide.

When in Sydney I see Steve Hogg. Been fitted by him on multiple bikes since 2004. Both Steve's get my double thumbs up for experience and attitude.
Vegan since 2001.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Had a fit done recently at BMCR and am very happy with the results and output. Managed to spend 4 hours in the saddle for the Bupa ride, could never have done that pre-fit session.