Resting Heart rate.What's yours?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

What is Your resting HR?

Below 45
14%
45 to 50
18%
51 to 55
19%
56 to 60
19%
61 to 65
15%
66 to 70
8%
71 to 75
4%
76 to 80
2%
Over 80
1%

Total votes: 411
munga

Re: Resting Heart rate.What's yours?

Postby munga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:06 pm

a couple of weeks ago i had a virus. hadn't eaten for about 2 days, slept for about 40 of 48hrs. went to the hospital at 9pm sat night, and the doctor recorded my RHR as 112bpm. :shock:
sitting here watching teev tonight: 58bpm

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:52 am

43 last night. I think the ticker was as tired as I was. :)

simonr23

Postby simonr23 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:19 pm

ihoae 66-70 when i responded a few months back. now after riding 2 or 3 times a week for about 45m-90min each time, my resting rate is 56. not amazing, but lowest i think i've ever had, so really pleasing.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Mid fiddies.

Age 40, now 63kg(was 67 two weeks ago) and five foot 6.
two nights per week football, golf and cycling at weekend, the odd mid week "round the lakes" bmx cycle with kids and some harsh days fitting blinds and awnings.
Still get outrun on my pushie by my 47yr old seasoned rider mate who works 60hrs a week as a plasterer :D

Pretty sure the judging of fitness is how quickly your BPM comes down from hard work to resting rate.(was told this by a gym trainer).

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Wed May 02, 2012 9:43 am

Last check at the doctors a month ago, RHR was 44 bpm.
Just now, 48 bpm.

Highest I've measured it at was 223 bpm, in the first minute of a squash match...
though I dimly recall hearing a nurse saying mine was 260 bpm as I lay screaming and thrashing around on the surgery table... kinda blacked out around about then, that was 24 years ago.

I find it interesting those few mornings I wake up (or at bedtime) when I measure the HR and it's about 60 bpm - consider that indication of needing to ease up on training for a week or so.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 02, 2012 5:33 pm

The wellness people that my employer contracts came around and took BP and pulse readings at the desk on Friday. I am pleased to see that my readings are similar to what they would have been when I was young and fit - 49bpm and 117/70.

Muscle is disappearing these days and the bum sags and the elbows have lumpy little bits hanging off that look like a scrotum in the cold. But at least the vital bits are still all holding up. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Muscle is disappearing these days and the bum sags and the elbows have lumpy little bits hanging off that look like a scrotum in the cold.
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Wed May 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Peacewise wrote:Last check at the doctors a month ago, RHR was 44 bpm.
and now that i have a cold/flu, rhr is 60bpm.

fascinating.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 am

Just checked mine this morning

59 BPM which puts me in the “Excellent” category which pleases me no end (it used to “below average” bordering on “poor”)
2012 Oppy A4

shann

Postby shann » Sun May 27, 2012 4:39 pm

49 BPM, which I suspect might be due to bradycardia arising from my failtastic thyroid, rather than my epic fitness. Should probably get that checked out.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:36 pm

shann wrote:49 BPM, which I suspect might be due to bradycardia arising from my failtastic thyroid, rather than my epic fitness. Should probably get that checked out.
I was just in hospital after a crash and my HR was taken at 41 and then again at 49 (that part was when I was about to get stitched up) I did the whole ECG thing a year ago and it does show I have some form of bradycardia.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

shann

Postby shann » Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Addictr3 wrote:
shann wrote:49 BPM, which I suspect might be due to bradycardia arising from my failtastic thyroid, rather than my epic fitness. Should probably get that checked out.
I was just in hospital after a crash and my HR was taken at 41 and then again at 49 (that part was when I was about to get stitched up) I did the whole ECG thing a year ago and it does show I have some form of bradycardia.
Were you advised to do anything about it? Or just keep on going until you fall over? I'm not exactly certain that I have some bradycardia going on, but given my thyroid issue and averageish fitness, it seems most plausible. Unless I am super fit and don't know it. Let's say that.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Chad reeds is about 50, most athletes are about this but read about cyclists (elitist) having heart alarms fitted to get them up at night if it drops too low. Scary !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! !

Be happy with anything just below 65, that's normal.

taitt

Postby taitt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:00 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Chad reeds is about 50, most athletes are about this but read about cyclists (elitist) having heart alarms fitted to get them up at night if it drops too low. Scary showtime !

Too low?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:06 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Chad reeds is about 50, most athletes are about this but read about cyclists (elitist) having heart alarms fitted to get them up at night if it drops too low. Scary showtime !

Yeah, the EPO users that is - blood is so thick it's difficult to pump around.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:30 pm

What is to low.

Mine is at 40 sitting here on the couch.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 pm

i ended up in hospital a year or so ago with low bp, low hr and hypothermia (it was 46*c outside, go figure!)

my rhr was 40bpm and it had dropped to 35bpm. they gave me drugs to raise it but it kept dropping back to 40 once the drugs wore off and setting all the alarms off.....

right now its 56bpm but i've just played a game of field hockey and done 12k of hill running...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:02 am

They certainly don't like low heart rates in hospital. I had the same problem after an op. a few years ago. The nurses in post op. got so sick of the low HR alarm that they turned it off. The lowest I saw on it was 36.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:02 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:They certainly don't like low heart rates in hospital. I had the same problem after an op. a few years ago. The nurses in post op. got so sick of the low HR alarm that they turned it off. The lowest I saw on it was 36.
As noted in one of the early pages in this thread, when this happened to me the nurse questioned me about it and wrote "regular cyclist" on my chart. They had dealt with athletes before (not that I'm one) and were used to low heart rates. No one questioned me about it again after they looked at the chart, despite setting off the alarm every time.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Yeah I had issues on my last stay in hospital. They mentioned that it got to 12 at one stage whilst I was out.

OppyA5

Postby OppyA5 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:48 am

I have a heart condition and take medication to regulate the heartbeat (Verapamil 240mgSR), which also lowers my blood pressure, but since returning to cycling a couple of years ago, at my son's advice, coming back from a ride or getting up in the morning and checking my HR it gets spooky and when having my usual BP checkup when visiting my GP he gets a little concerned even after telling him of my exercise regime it sits at around 48BPM but won't change my medication and the same thing happens to me if in hospital with setting off the alarm all the time. I am 65 and ride about 230km a week. :D

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:47 am

I’ve always had a pretty low heart rate, typically while resting it’ll sit at 45 or so. Did a bit of stress test a while back (while I was 15kg heavier than I am now) and the results came back that I was in excellent cardiovascular health and showed pronounced respiratory sinus arrhythmia, RSA (basically being able to control one’s heart rate through breathing... kind of being able to perform a reset). Even though I was very much overweight the doctor thought I was in good health, just carrying too much body fat.

Anecdotally, this annoyed my wife for two reasons;
1. It meant I could continue drinking too much and eating poorly as the doc said it was ok (something I’ve changed anyway) and,
2. She has had two cardiac catheter ablations to correct episodes of supraventricular tachycardias (SVT) where her heart rate would rise 240+ for no apparent reason and stay there for indefinite periods. The second one successful. Her resting HR is now around 80 and no longer suffers SVT.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:50 pm

On awakening this morning.

These little wrist BP monitors are a lot more reliable these days. I have two and occasionally calibrate them against a desk sphyg and each other.
You have to follow the instructions and ensure you keep the unit at heart level when taking a reading though. I just took two readings - with arm raised straight in the air -> BP 90/40, and arm hanging down my side BP 160/85. Think I paid around $40 for each two years ago. I often use them on overweight and sedentary clients when they start up cycling, to ensure their BP and HR behave normally.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 pm

skull wrote:Yeah I had issues on my last stay in hospital. They mentioned that it got to 12 at one stage whilst I was out.
not sure you're alive :D

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:26 am

Mines 50

26 yrs of age, 179cm, 79kg, vego, a bit of a gut and A cup man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. They're slowly going flat though :mrgreen:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01