Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

joe77bike

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby joe77bike » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:49 am

I have good sopping experience from Spam Paradise a set of carbon wheels,sending me skewers and brake pads as gift.quick shipping,also great service.

Admin: Member banned as spammer

zebedee

Postby zebedee » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:00 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
zebedee wrote:
zebedee wrote:just recieved my fulcrum zeros from shinybikes.co.uk. order placed on 16th may, delivered on 28th may.
best price i could find online.
..........now the long wait unitl i finish work so i can go home and try them out.
Went to fit these this morning, devestated, they sent my the campy version and I need SRAM compatible.

Will I have to send these back or can the freehub be changed?
contact them, maybe they'll send you a free shimano/sram freehub for the mixup
still waiting on the freehub body, these wheels are 5 weeks leaning against my shed wall. shinybikes.........i dont know what to say.

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:07 pm

What have they said? Part is sent, part is on order?

zebedee

Postby zebedee » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 pm

sorry for the delay blah blah....

told me they sent one at the begenning of june, turns out that was BS. called them again there and said they send 'another one' last wednesday. gave me some bogus tracking details which wont give me anything on the royal mail tracking system. considering they screwed this up twice, you would expect them to send it by an express courier to get here ASAP. morons!

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Big thanks for the excellent product and service from Bikesmith Design and Fabrication.
http://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/shorten.html

Anyone requiring quality, affordable shorter cranks would appreciate the service this guy offers. Speedy response, excellent communication and a great product.

I got some 159mm shortened APEX.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Bought a pair of Santini bib knicks from Prendas on 28th June. They arrived today to my business address with no business name written down.

Very prompt and very happy to buy from Prendas again!

chrisboll

Postby chrisboll » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:47 pm

This is my first post here, hopefully I am in the right area.

I recently picked up a Raleigh Grand Prix (maroon/red with decals and embossed metal logo on front) off pavement at council throw out. Considering this it's in reasonable condition, tyres pump up, some surface rust.

The first thing I need to tackle is the chain and take it from there; cables, tubes and tyres after that.

Guess I'm wondering if it's worth the effort AND should I be looking at getting the parts online (I have looked at bicyclestore.com.au) or from physical shop?

I'm new at this so any guidance is most appreciated.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:21 pm

For the low-cost stuff like cables, tyres and tubes you will not be spending a huge amount more buying from the LBS. And you can physically take the bike in to them and make sure you get exactly the right size and type.

Buying online is fine, but you do need to know exactly what brand and size and screw thread and all that type of thing you need.

The downside of the LBS is that for an older bike the shop may not have parts in stock, and it may be harder for them to get them than from a big international online store. But if the bike is not too old it should not be a problem.

Bay23

Postby Bay23 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with wiggle's discount codes? By this i mean when i put in Aus20 it only reduces my basket 11% or so, i'm also looking at the list price.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Wiggle are sneaky, they give you % off the "list" price ( full price ). So if something already has a reduction you don't get 20% off.

Bay23

Postby Bay23 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 pm

gururug wrote:Wiggle are sneaky, they give you % off the "list" price ( full price ). So if something already has a reduction you don't get 20% off.
Thanks heaps, i knew i was misunderstood something

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 am

Medium sized order from PBK, placed 27 June, received last Friday 13th July.

I don't know what is happening to c r c and PBK delivery times. With PBK in particular you used to be able to order on a Friday and have it at your door in Aus sometime the next week. No more it seems. But all the items were shipped correctly and the prices were red-hot with a discount code they had going at the time so can't complain really.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:48 am

i find alot also depends on the size and method.

royal mail seems to take 2 weeks, parcel force takes about a week

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:44 pm

scirocco wrote:For the low-cost stuff like cables, tyres and tubes you will not be spending a huge amount more buying from the LBS.
Continental Race 28 tubes are over $12 at LBS compared to around $4 online. I don't call 3 times the price a "bit" more expensive. Continental GP4000S tyres were $120 at a LBS "on special" - I'd hate to see what they normally charge. These are around $45-50 online. I don't know about cables, my (non-LBS) mechanic supplies those, cuts them to length from a roll, I'm sure they would be cheaper than LBS - and better quality. A friend recently needed a Campy SR chain in a hurry so rang one LBS for a price and they only had Record and their price was 3 or 4 times the online price for a SR.

[quote="scirocco"And you can physically take the bike in to them and make sure you get exactly the right size and type. [/quote]

If you don't know the size of tyre and tube for the bike you ride I guess you are stuck with paying 2-3 times the price from a LBS. Most tyres I've seen have the size stamped/moulded on the sidewall.

bizkit

Postby bizkit » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 pm

$120 for a tyre!!! Surely not, there are car tyres cheaper, and I'm sure my motocross tyres USED to be half that a few years ago

tk38

Postby tk38 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Has anyone had any issues with c r c lately?

The last time i ordered it took 6 weeks! They said it was stuck at the depot or something, but it was ridiculous. Then they promised me the next time i order it won't take any longer than 2.5 weeks. I've been waiting patiently for 3 weeks now.

My orders from c r c in the past took about a week and a bit. For reference my recent order from PBK took 8 days.

reefer

Postby reefer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm

I made my very first order from c r c. A tacx work stand.
Ordered: 10 July 2012
Delivered: 17 July 2012

Very happy. :)

adaml

Postby adaml » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:57 pm

I ordered a set of Ortlieb panniers from Evans in May. They arrived promptly, but without the shoulder straps. I messaged them through their webform, received an automated acknowledgement and then heard nothing. After a few weeks I contacted them again, this time by email, asking when I would get a reply. This time they did respomd, but only to say that they did not have my original message 'in the system' and could I tell them what the problem is. I did, and again I never heard anything back. After another week, I wrote a third message. It has now been a week since then, and despite getting another automated reply saying that 'most emails are answered in 48 hours' I have again heard nothing back.

It has now been six weeks and four emails since this started and I have not gotten any sort of reply save for their automatic responses and the email about losing my message. I guess I'll now have to phone them. I'll probably be wasting my time, and I certainly won't ever be buying anything from Evans again.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Bought this stuff from Wiggle 9.13pm Monday 16/07
1 x LifeLine 10 Speed Chain Whip
1 x Cyclus Shimano Cassette Lockring Remover
2 x Continental Rim Tape - Black Road
2 x Continental Grand Prix 4000S Road Tyre 700 x 23mm Black
1 x Campagnolo Zonda Clincher Road Bike Wheelset Shimano Freehub Black
1 x Campagnolo Heritage James Full Zip Jersey Extra Large Black

Delivered Brisbane 2.30pm 20/07
Less than 4 days from UK to Aus

Wiggle Delivery times are unbelievable... very impressed

taitt

Postby taitt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Wiggle. Purely amazing. 3 days for new pedals.

Chef

Postby Chef » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Evans - took four days to deliver my pedals, but one of those days was a Sunday, and atvless than $200 for Dura Ace pedals delivered I am pretty happy. :D

I had previously posted that I had had difficulties with purchaces and communication from Evans; they seem to be doing a lot better these days, and pricing is very good

Cheers

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:36 am

Bought a helmet and a few other bits and bobs from c r c on Sunday - was promptly shipped via DHL on Monday (UK time) and delivered to me this morning.

Good stuff. :D

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 pm

19 days waiting on an order from chain reaction cycles.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Ditto, peacewise!

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 pm

I've had deliveries from c r c take a month to arrive.

Used to be when you payed a slightly higher postage rate at c r c , and everything came Royal Mail signed for , it used to take 5 working days every time.

Since they have cheapened their postage costs to compete with others , the standard delivery method is ordinary air mail and it takes longer.

Sometimes it will take less than 2 weeks , but mostly (In my experience) it seems to be 3 weeks or more.

In saying that, I have never had a parcel not arrive , in probably 15 years of ordering with them.

I don't use them as much as I used to , as the other UK online shops are much more competitive on price and postage costs these days.