Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Baalzamon

Re: Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:20 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:When you get to South St heading south stay on the bikepath and take a right, halfway between the freeway and Murdoch Dr is a crossover point, before we had the underpasses on South St this used to be the alternative to waiting at the South St lights, often a faster crossing, except in peak hour. This crossing also connects to Urbahns Rd, I sometimes head for this from the Parry Ave detour instead of trying to get back onto the much maligned bikepath. You'd turn right at Parry Ave instead of trying left for the bikepath, left on Marsengo Rd, after it doglegs right turn left on Broadhurst Cres then take Urbahns. We're back to the old backroads for a while.
I think I'm going to get used to going that way now until the works are finally over.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
just4tehhalibut wrote:When you get to South St heading south .... We're back to the old backroads for a while.
I think I'm going to get used to going that way now until the works are finally over.
Eyeballing it now on Google Maps - I think I'll give it a go as well. I came out on the Scoulier Way portion last Friday night only to have a stretch Hummer Limo pull up in front of me - in the middle of the road - just before path restarts and a heap of excited pre party goers tumble out all over the place.

Bogan: (noun) Anyone who still thinks a stretch limo is classy.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 am

Detour wasn't in place today when I went thru. Parry Ave is looking like it's coming along well. Looks quite compacted now,

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Detour wasn't in place today when I went thru. Parry Ave is looking like it's coming along well. Looks quite compacted now,
The approaches to the Parry Ave underpass are being smoothed out from wither direction. Like it should have been from the beginning.

It still looks likes it will have a similar climb as before, perhaps a half metre lower on the peak. I'm still still not sure what the clearing of vegetation along Breen Place is though.

I think it will have been worth the wait.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
just4tehhalibut wrote:When you get to South St heading south .... We're back to the old backroads for a while.
Tried this on Friday night just gone. Marginally smoother run to South St. heading south. Though I still was a bit confused about where to pick the PSP around the new Hospital and Murdoch station entrances. Likely to be a dogs breakfast for a while yet there. I ended up catching the Trainstation lift downto the carpark once I'd bviously overshot the intended access path. :D

If I wasn't turning off on Farrington to get to the Roe H'way path I'd probably just carry along Murdoch Drive to pick up the path further south along the Freeway.
--

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Detour is in place now, and it's a complete mess north of South St. Piles of sand on the path and chunks of pavement missing where it looks like they're attempting to repair some sections. So watch out through there.

And yeah, 4 extra stoplights now if you take the detour, 3 at South St. that take ages to turn. Looks like the alternate routes posted earlier are going to be much faster. And heading south, you might as well just head all the way over the Murdoch Dr. and catch the path down at Farrington. Anything to bypass the mess of entrances around the new parking lot.

Aphexchefpusher

Postby Aphexchefpusher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:37 pm

ok ..........sounds a bit long winded but why don't you northbound commuters hop off at Farrington, left (AT) Findlay by the shops and right down westminster and join Karel, nice fast shoulder to ride on (I live in Leeming and use it 4 times a week), left at Brockman, down Ewing and Bull creek drive, over at the lights and you're on Pulo with a fast road surface down the esplanade? Takes me average 14-17 mins from Westminster to Raffles.....sounds like an awfully large amount of farting around but south st etc sounds like complete carnage now :shock:
SCOTT CR1 TEAM 2011
GIANT DEFY ADVANCED 2012
GIANT TCR ADVANCED SL 1 2013
TREK 5700 MTB 2006

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 am

I just made a map of the couple alternate routes that have been mentioned. I've been taking the red route this week, works just great and much better than the route the detour signs want us to take. I tend to modify the red route slightly on the way back south, crossing Parry following the detour, then riding down Scouler Way over to Marsengo. The cars heading west along Parry have a very poor sightline when they get to the roundabout at Morphett, so I don't trust them to see and yield to me if I'm turning right at the roundabout. Plus the fact they've been used to us crossing at the path, thus yielding to them, for the past 6+ months. I don't want to re-educate them the hard way by ending up on the hood of their car. :)

Click for huge:

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 pm

There's also a path closure on the freeway path between Mundijong Rd and the exit path onto ZigZag Rd, Baldivis. Sign says path is closed now 7am to 5pm, to 27.07.12, but when I came down there at 3:30pm yesterday the path was still intact apart from a lot of witches hats and shrubbery removed, and no he about. Maybe they haven't gotten fully started yet.

I looked on the Main Roads website, nothing about this. I know that I can just use Baldivis Rd between Mundijong and Safety Bay Rds (or St Albans Rd with a detour to Macnutts) while this is on but has anyone any further info on this project?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:00 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:... and the exit path onto ZigZag Rd, Baldivis. ...
I love telling people that my mum used to let me drive the old Austin A40 down Zig Zag Road when I was in primary school. (We used to collect mushrooms out that way.)

Most people do not appreciate the joke in that but you will. :lol:

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:54 pm

The BWA email states that the South St PSP works should be finished October.

That other works down at Baldivis on the PSP should be finished today.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote: That other works down at Baldivis on the PSP should be finished today.
I guess we will find out tomorrow :)

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
just4tehhalibut wrote: That other works down at Baldivis on the PSP should be finished today.
I guess we will find out tomorrow :)

Dogs Brekky really. But Dave's shortcut was win.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Phil wrote:... Dave's shortcut was win.
Yeah... I'm digging it now on my commutes. Crossing South St. halfway between the Freeway & Murdoch Ave is so much easier than the lights at the Trainstation/On&OffRamps etc.. Kudos to JBark for plotting it out visually.
--

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:59 am

This is the update on the Main Roads website
"Kwinana Freeway Widening : Key Dates

Late August 2012: Kwinana Freeway southbound: the three lanes will be opened
November 2012: Noise walls to be completed
September 2012: Principal Shared Path (PSP) under the Parry Avenue Bridge will re-open
October 2012: PSP and access ramp at Bull Creek station (under Leach Highway Bridge) will open
December 2012: Kwinana Freeway northbound: the three lanes are scheduled to open
September 2013: Landscaping, including planting and seeding will be completed

These dates are approximate and will be subject to weather conditions."

Note that MR were so excited that they got the chronology screwed. Perhaps that'll flow on to the practical? I'd expect that we don't get the PSP back in working order until Xmas. The signs at Parry Ave state August but the works viewed from the freeway suggest longer, much.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I'd expect that we don't get the PSP back in working order until Xmas. The signs at Parry Ave state August but the works viewed from the freeway suggest longer, much.
The first signage around Parry Avenue PSP indicated closure for October and NOvember 2011. I have no idea where that came from.

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I haven't commuted for a couple months, but on Tuesday there was a Tour de Bateman (deTour de Bateman?) just South of Leach Hwy. So many signs that I actually got lost and ended popping out onto the path on Leach after finding a way out.

I'm thinking of just bypassing the whole area via Murdoch Drv between Leach and Farrington...

kodakmomentz

Postby kodakmomentz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:33 pm

wizzfizz wrote:I haven't commuted for a couple months, but on Tuesday there was a Tour de Bateman (deTour de Bateman?) just South of Leach Hwy. So many signs that I actually got lost and ended popping out onto the path on Leach after finding a way out.

I'm thinking of just bypassing the whole area via Murdoch Drv between Leach and Farrington...
I gave up with the signs last night. Ended up at some roundabout and a cut through to Leach. Not too bad I suppose. On the way back the signs were all there which was good.

I did think about using Karel Ave or Murdoch Drive but I found the alternative route to be rather pleasant. It would be good to see if there will be a decent path left behind after they finish all the works.

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:16 pm

I must admit that I quite enjoy the ride through Bateman.Breaks the monotony(spell check!) of the daily route, and there is very little traffic when I go through there...
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:04 am

Takes too long for me, I just go from Mt Henry Bridge to Karel Ave, then straight up Karel Ave to Berrigan. Lovely surface and a nice wide cycling shoulder.

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am

Rex wrote:Takes too long for me, I just go from Mt Henry Bridge to Karel Ave, then straight up Karel Ave to Berrigan. Lovely surface and a nice wide cycling shoulder.
that sounds like a good plan Rex!thank you for sharing... :wink:
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:00 pm

No problem, just be careful around the Roe Hwy roundabouts on Karel Ave... lots of drivers taking shortcuts.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Watchout as well on Berrigan Drive from Karel Ave for motorbikes/scooters using bike lane when traffic is banked up.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Good morning,

please see below the revised dates for the PSP re-openings related to the Kwinana Freeway Widening & Upgrade project.

Parry Avenue - mid-October 2012
Date cannot be confirmed at this point due to drainage design issues.
Delays have also resulted from issues with Noisewall installation, resulting from problems with underground service providers.

South Street (Murdoch Station) - Mid-October/November 2012
Detour in place to allow for the realignment of the freeway off-ramp

Leach Highway - November 2012
This will reopen when the PTA access road opens

*A PSP detour will be setup in the next week between Scandrett Way and South Street while noisewalls are installed in this area.
The detour will be in place for approximately 3 weeks.

Please feel free to distribute this information or upload it to your website.

If you have any questions, please let me know,

Kind regards,

Hannah

Hannah Jane Mattock | Account Executive
Soapbox Pty Ltd
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Well today cough
I'm going a different way!
Those detours... Just what I needed
Going up karel now as well
I wonder if alternate routes south are getting heavier cycle traffic now?