cycling and scoliosis

ranget@bigpond.com

cycling and scoliosis

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:28 pm

gday
would like to here from any cyclists / bike riders /joggers who suffer from scoliosis.

ozzymac

Re: cycling and scoliosis

Postby ozzymac » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:34 pm

ranget@bigpond.com wrote:gday
would like to here from any cyclists / bike riders /joggers who suffer from scoliosis.
Hi,
I have scoliosis..

I found that cycling is the only thing I can do that doesn't cause me back pain.

Walking, sitting etc, all not good, I was surprised when I took up cycling about a year and a half a go that I could do it without to much bother.

Getting the bike right has been fun, but it's ok. Longest ride I have done is only 45km but that includes lots of up and downs.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ranget@bigpond.com

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:50 pm

ozzymac wrote:
ranget@bigpond.com wrote:gday
Hi,
I have scoliosis..

I found that cycling is the only thing I can do that doesn't cause me back pain.

Walking, sitting etc, all not good, I was surprised when I took up cycling about a year and a half a go that I could do it without to much bother.

Getting the bike right has been fun, but it's ok. Longest ride I have done is only 45km but that includes lots of up and downs.

Cheers
gday, i never get a sore back,ever,but i get very tight down my left side from hip to knee and must streech every day to relieve tightness,but its always their a fraction still, my hip sits lower to one side and one shoulder is lower to one side and my belly button is more to one side,cycling has brought the pain on ,have been riding 6 years on road an i do 100 k plus rides mostly but have just recently started doing 40 k rides to see if tightness subsides ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:27 pm

I hae scoliosis as well, pelvic floor and core stability exercises help moderate it, along with the occasional visit to a maipulative physiotherapist.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 am

I have slight scoliosis. I found that leather saddles were the worst aspect of scoliosis. The lateral curve in my spine means that I put more weight on one sit bone than the other, which means that one side of the saddle sagged more, which put more weight on that side ... vicious circle. I have never had a problem with plastic saddles.

I also had a period of 3 - 4 years of severe pain in my upper back, on one side, only when I was riding. I went to a variety of masseurs, physiotherapists etc., none of whom helped. I was close to giving up cycling entirely. I don't like asking friends for free professional advice, but one day I reluctantly mentioned it to a friend of mine who is a GP, knowing that he had spent several years in India, studying and practicing yoga. He told me some simple yoga exercises and the problem was gone in a few weeks, never to return.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:21 am

I see a lot of people with scoliosis. There's several categories. Some are easier to stay on top of than others.
The best approach is to
- maintain good posture in chairs etc so that you don't accelerate the condition or cause secondary problems to tissue that is already compromised by the curvature.
- do regular flexibility exercises to preserve spine movement and limit progression. This includes some yoga assanas and Pilates.
- do core strengthening exercise for similar reasons.

Massage may give temporary relief to tight muscles.
Electrotherapy used by physios, chiros, and ostepaths is a waste of money in my view.
Spinal manipulation as done by chiros and some physios may help reseat vertebral facet joints, providing temporary pain relief...but in most cases, regular stretching and core strengthening will reduce or negate need for manipulation.

I'd say swimming freestyle is the best exercise for the greatest range of scoliosis conditions. Cycling would be difficult for more severe curvatures, though tolerated well less severe.

ranget@bigpond.com

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:18 pm

PawPaw wrote:I see a lot of people with scoliosis. There's several categories. Some are easier to stay on top of than others.
The best approach is to
- maintain good posture in chairs etc so that you don't accelerate the condition or cause secondary problems to tissue that is already compromised by the curvature.
- do regular flexibility exercises to preserve spine movement and limit progression. This includes some yoga assanas and Pilates.
- do core strengthening exercise for similar reasons.

Massage may give temporary relief to tight muscles.
Electrotherapy used by physios, chiros, and ostepaths is a waste of money in my view.
Spinal manipulation as done by chiros and some physios may help reseat vertebral facet joints, providing temporary pain relief...but in most cases, regular stretching and core strengthening will reduce or negate need for manipulation.

I'd say swimming freestyle is the best exercise for the greatest range of scoliosis conditions. Cycling would be difficult for more severe curvatures, though tolerated well less severe.
thank s, the freestyle swimming sounds good ,will try

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 pm

i have a slight scoliosis (i assume it's slight as it doesn't cause me severe problems). i have no issues riding, but sitting and bending causes me back soreness. as PawPaw said, the best treatment by far for me is core strengthening and back stretches - the latter provides me with almost instant relief. i suspect a lot of people spending $1000s at the physio don't even do these basic things and just want someone else to fix their back for them.

Tommi

Postby Tommi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 am

I have scoliosis and am still recovering from a parachute injury and so far I have found Cycling and walking the best exercises to do that don't cause pain or discomfort. I find that doing Heaves (over grasp pullups) help with strength and eleviate pain out of sight. I find it stretches my spine and back whilst working my core, back, shoulders, lats and chest muscles.

Hope it helps!

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 am

I have slight scoliosis as a result of differing leg lengths.

Would be really interested to hear if this is the case for anyone else, and how their bike fit/riding has affected them.
I noticed when I was out riding yesterday my right leg (the longer one) sits further away from the bike when pedalling. I also started to feel a slight pain in my knee joint towards the end of the ride.

coops

Postby coops » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm a twisted individual as well :lol: though I haven't really suffered pain from the issue.

I do a fair bit of road bike riding these days. Wrt bike fit I find it most comfortable to stick to bikes with a round (ie not aero) seat post so I can point the seat just a little to one side. I've started using one of these http://www.kneesaver.net/ on just one side since I'm asymmetrical. Without it the ankle bit of one of my shoe rubs against the crank. It doesn't really hurt, just wears the paint off the crank and damages the shoe.