Anyone know of a XC 29er tyre which will last?

thecaptn

Anyone know of a XC 29er tyre which will last?

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi all,
I've been running continental race kings in a 2.2 on my 29er and have enjoyed riding on them but with the tracks around where i live being quite rocky I've a problem with cuts in the face and sidewalls. I'd like to change to thinner tyres like 2.0's and something with alot more strength. can anyone please recomend a tyre which may suit me?

trailgumby

Re: Anyone know of a XC 29er tyre which will last?

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

On my 26er I've had a great run with a Maxxis Ignitor 2.3 UST on the front teamed with a Larsen TT 2.0 UST on the rear. Despite the difference in nominal casing sizes they're a good match.

Not the lightest tyres, but not unreasonable either if you run them as intended (tubeless). Much better than Schwalbe, which are quite thin, even the UST versions. I wouldn't be game to run a non-UST Schwalbe around my area. I suppose the weight saved has to come from somewhere. :?

For some reason it's always the rear that gets caned.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:18 pm

the larsen tt looks good but i think it doesnt come in a 29er, the close tread would suit the tracks arround here. the Ignitor could be ok. I don't mind pushing a bit more weight, the race kings are nice and light but i have 3 almost new ones in the shed with big cuts in them and it's just amater of time until i get stuck far away or hurt coming off.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Oh, that's a bummer re: the Larsen TT. :(

They do make a Crossmark in a 29er, and if yo ucan get that in UST it will roll better than the Larsen and the 29er wheel size will make up for the slight drive and braking traction difference.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 pm

trailgumby wrote:Oh, that's a bummer re: the Larsen TT. :(

They do make a Crossmark in a 29er, and if yo ucan get that in UST it will roll better than the Larsen and the 29er wheel size will make up for the slight drive and braking traction difference.
I run a normal 2.1 crossmark tubeless at 30psi on my 29er. Done about 700kms on it and it still looks new. About 400 of that was on road.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Mugglechops wrote:

I run a normal 2.1 crossmark tubeless at 30psi on my 29er. Done about 700kms on it and it still looks new. About 400 of that was on road.
Done! I picked up a couple of crossmarks from wiggle for about 40bucks each. thanks for the tip.

I use tubes and run at 60 psi. I'm 100kg but if your only running at 30psi do you think i've too much pressure?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 pm

thecaptn wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:

Done! I picked up a couple of crossmarks from wiggle for about 40bucks each. thanks for the tip.

I use tubes and run at 60 psi. I'm 100kg but if your only running at 30psi do you think i've too much pressure?
Most likely as I am 118kgs :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Definitely, unless you enjoy pinging off rocks :lol: 40psi tops. Get a Bontrager tubeless conversion and ditch the tubes... you'll never go back.

Any reason you didn't go the Ignitor on the front? I'm not a fan of (Edit:) Crossmarks as a control tyre unless on buffed singletrack
Last edited by trailgumby on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:Definitely, unless you enjoy pinging off rocks :lol: 40psi tops. Get a Bontrager tubeless conversion and ditch the tubes... you'll never go back.

Any reason you didn't go the Ignitor on the front? I'm not a fan of it as a control tyre unless on buffed singletrack
No reason realy, i just thought the crossmark looked like it would roll nicely on the hard ground. I also like to have the same tyre front and back 'cause I think it looks better. I know it sounds stupid but I'm in love with my bike and try to keep her looking pretty.
Thanks for the tip on the pressure, do you's ever run a slightly higher pressure in the back to the front to allow for the difference in weight distribution?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Always, on all bikes.

On the dirty girl the difference is terrain dependent and not so great since I went to a dually.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:42 pm

thecaptn wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Definitely, unless you enjoy pinging off rocks :lol: 40psi tops. Get a Bontrager tubeless conversion and ditch the tubes... you'll never go back.

Any reason you didn't go the Ignitor on the front? I'm not a fan of (Edit:) Crossmarks as a control tyre unless on buffed singletrack
No reason realy, i just thought the crossmark looked like it would roll nicely on the hard ground. I also like to have the same tyre front and back 'cause I think it looks better. I know it sounds stupid but I'm in love with my bike and try to keep her looking pretty.
Thanks for the tip on the pressure, do you's ever run a slightly higher pressure in the back to the front to allow for the difference in weight distribution?
Indeed, the crossmark does roll very well :D , and some use it as a front but they are much more skilled riders than I.

My beef with it as a front is that it doesn't bite all that well unless you have the bike cranked over hard on hte edge of the tyre ... it's kinda go hard or go home. Some guys reckon it's great but because I tend not to push as close to the limits, and don't lean the bike as much, I find the front of the bike tends to move around at speed more than I like when transitioning into or between turns. The feeling of being close to an imminent washout even before I've fully leaned into the turn just makes me really nervous about trusting my front tyre!

The ignitor doesn't behave like that at all, there's no vagueness about it and on the half-dozen or so occasions it has let go in very loose and dusty conditions (eg BYBF 2010) I've managed to pull it back and stay off the deck. (Still needed to change my knicks afterwards though!)

It doesn't roll as well as the Crossmark but, being on the front, it affects rolling resistance much less than the rear.

re: pressures, yes I run the front softer than the rear. At the moment I'm runnig a 2.25 Nobby Nic at 22-24psi with a Racing Ralph on the back at 30-32psi. I'm 85-86 kegs kitted up, and running tubeless on a 5" travel 26er.

That's a common setup around here. Even the 29er guys tend to run bigger bagged more aggressive front tyres and fast-rolling rears. Looking at photos of the elites' bikes in recent mags, they tend to do the same at places like Stromlo.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:57 pm

I only run the crossmark on the back. It's crash-o-rama if I put one on the front.

My latest choice of front tyre is a conti X-King in 2.4. It worked really well in the mud of the Husky100 and has virtually no wear on it after 700kms.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm about to try some of the new Rubena tyres. They're "tubeless ready" rather than UST, so very light. Kratos for the front, Scylla for the back (or vice versa :?). Will let you know how they go.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:57 pm

I have a new continental 2.2 race king still in the box, I'll put that on the front and keep a crossmark as a spare. maybe that should work ok and I'll play around with the pressures to see what works best. in the meantime I'll shop around for a spare front.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 am

The Rubena Kratos and Scylla review (Tubless Supra) is now up on BNA. You can see how it compares with Maxxis Crossmark and Schwalbe Racing Ralph.
Cycling is in my BNA

taitt

Postby taitt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:40 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The Rubena Kratos and Scylla review (Tubless Supra) is now up on BNA. You can see how it compares with Maxxis Crossmark and Schwalbe Racing Ralph.
These are the bomb!

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:39 pm

I was a long time Crossmark user (F & R), but I'm running Michelin Race'R tyres front and rear at the moment. Great tyres (in the dry anyway - yet to try in the wet); very fast, very good grip and amazingly supple feel - I don't know that I could go back to the stiff feeling of Maxxis now.