Tour de Mike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 25, 2012 8:51 am

Not sure if I want to race Sydney Road Titles in the wet
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

rotating2

Postby rotating2 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 am

Good luck mate!!!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Race Report: Sydney Road Titles 26th June 2012 - M5

Conditions were cool, but not freezing, a bit of wind, but fortunately not raining

Pace was all over the place, it was a game of chess. Ultimately none of the breakaways were going to stick, I never felt I needed to chase anyone down. I went off the front myself once, and chased another rider, but no one came with me, so I pulled the pin, 2 riders ain't enough for a breakaway at penrith lakes.

Racing the top riders in NSW in my age bracket, I didn't have any issues at all, it was a good test of my post injury fitness.

I didn't feel comfortable about contesting the final sprint, so I didn't

Strava data (which includes warmup and warmdown) shows how the pace was all over the place. I recall doing 50kph and 200 mtrs later hitting 28kph http://app.strava.com/rides/9349633

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:51 pm

race report 2012 Ken Dinnerville Memorial Handicap 27th June

Background and Start Out
The day before I did a spin class then went out and did the Sydney Road Titles, my first race back, where I was quite nervous, but it gave me the confidence for the Dinnerval. Out of 170 riders there was only one rider older than me on a harder handicap, but I felt confident on the line, but as soon as we went up the connector rd, I knew I was in trouble. Even before we made it onto lap 1, we lost the other older rider in the group.

Lap 1
The bunch was hot, I knew that if I could stick it, then I'll be there for the finish. I was struggling, but I was in there. I went thru the loop in the school on the front and didn't see the parking bumps until it was too late and had to take a diversion onto the gravel behind them. Next lap there was an orange cone there... We had made a huge inroad into the bunch in front in 1/2 a lap. The hill was hot and we shredded more riders but I made it over. We continued to eat into the group in front.

Lap 2
Going up the hill, I was starting to roll off, I looked down at my speedo and I was doing 20kph on the steep bit, I knew last year I was doing 22kph and that was the difference between going over the top on the front and being dropped and dropped I was, leaving only 8 riders in my bunch. For the next 3 or so K I really gunned it trying to get back on, for a while I thought I could do it, then I realised it was useless. Looking behind me, I could see for miles and there wasn't a single rider and since I've only done one training ride since January, I decided to turn it into a time trail training session. However what came interesting was that I was gaining on the bunch in front of my bunch, but I did realise that once my bunch caught them, that would change, but what the hell, you play your cards and take your chances. After going around the northern turnaround and getting the tail wind, things didn't go so well, I noted I was doing 42kph in a place where we went thru at 48kph the prior lap, I knew I was going backwards at a rapid rate and then 2/3 the way to the hill I was caught by Matts group, which I realised was going slower than my group, most of the dropped riders from my group were in it.

Lap 3
The u-turn thru the school to start the 3rd lap and all of a sudden I was in trouble, loosing the rubberband game. I rode solo to the hill and was about 30 seconds behind at the base of the hill. Then came the hill... all of a sudden I didn't have drive, I slowed to a snail's pace and block went past without a chance to get on. At the top I waited a for another rider from my group to get my wheel and then I headed off for another time trial, we picked up rider #133 (what group?) and worked together as a team, though I was doing about 50% of the work. We came upon Strawbuger and I said 'jump on' but Strawbuger's face said it all

Home
The other 2 riders were wasted and after waiting, we decided to go our own way and I took off and gunned it to the line solo. My worst ever result, unless you want to count when I raced with the remnants of the flu, having taking sickie Mon - Fri. Oh well at least I bet scratch.

Post Analysis
I see that the winner was from my bunch, my prediction early on that they were hot proved to be true. On the hill I had the fastest DHBC time of the DHBC riders who had published on Strava. Matt wasn't there, I'm guessing he would of been quicker.

Now I'm wondering if I should enter Wagga... entries close tomorrow.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:15 am

Taking into consideration, what you have been through this year Mike, you have done pretty well I think! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Tour de Mike

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:18 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Race Report: Sydney Road Titles 26th June 2012 - M5
mikesbytes wrote:race report 2012 Ken Dinnerville Memorial Handicap 27th June
Well written reports Mike, but I have to ask are you psychic or are the dates in error?

I figured if you were making it up you would have written a more heroic role for yourself :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:30 pm

The dates are correct, in addition I did a spin class of the morning of the 26th

find_bruce

Tour de Mike

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:23 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The dates are correct, in addition I did a spin class of the morning of the 26th
given that today is the 3rd of June, I would have thought the dates were 26 & 27 May but maybe we are in some sort of time vortex.

But don't mind me, I still enjoyed your reports

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Sorry, yes May

Must drink more coffee

MREJ

Tour de Mike

Postby MREJ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Great report Mike. I thought you did well there - our bunch was hot.

I am undaunted by my day in Dapto and signed up for Wagga today. Can't be any worse, right?

Marcus
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Haven't got a lift to Wagga yet and entries close tonight

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:45 am

Yesterday while it rained on the coast, 3 of us clocked up 150k inland, SW of Sydney

Strava

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Love that ride up to Burragorang Lookout, and how about the descent! I ride as much as I can out that way. It's quiet and beautiful - so you can absorb the chatter from the roads :wink:
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:50 am

Yeh the last couple of K's were a bit lumpy but worth the effort

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Kinda 50/50 about going to RAW tomorrow night. Will have 11 spin classes + ? K's under the belt since Monday

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:07 pm

RAW - Friday 30th June 2012 - Div B

First time back on a track bike since January (before my accident). Raced the opening round of RAW at Dunc Gray Velodrome, where the held the 2000 Olympics.

Warmup race
: Dropped, the pace was high and at least I wasn't the first to be dropped.

Three lap screamer: Got second wheel of the line, the first guy controlled the pace, keeping it slow, then sprinted with just under 1.5 laps to go. I wasn't able to hold his well and 2 riders went around me, resulting in 4th, a single point.

Points race: Was in the thick of it but didn't gain any points. A team mate sprinted off a got one of the wins (5 points), then rolled off. What he didn't realise was that if you get lapped, you loose 20 points :)

Combines: The first few riders went off at typical pace and after they rolled, we ended up with a really slow rider on the front, I had 4th wheel. 1st and 2nd wheel rolled together and 3rd wheel went for it, I went to and got his wheel, he did about a lap and rolled, I went for it. After 1/2 a lap, with 5 to go, I looked around and there was no one, so I decided to have some fun and kept gunning, pulling the gap out to about 50mtrs. Crossing the line with 2 laps to go, I only had 20 mtrs, so I knew I was going to be caught on the last lap, so I rolled and retried.

So this first time on the track bike showed me what was in me and what was missing

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 am

Should of mentioned that I did 11 spin classes and somewhere between 200 and 300k of commuting, so I wasn't exactly fresh

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:54 pm

cough cough

No RAW for me tomorrow

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Well tomorrow is the NSW Club TTT championships. My team has been seeded 6th out of 26 teams in the M150+ category

NSW Club Team Time Trial Championships - Schedule (2nd Revision)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Good luck tomorrow Mike and how's you prep going for the Grafton - Inverell?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Don't know where we came, 1st did 57 minutes, 3rd did 60 minutes and we did 64 minutes (off bike computer). Distance 40k

Work on the front - approx;
Rider 1 (me) - 50%
Rider 2 - 35%
Rider 3 - 15%
Rider 4 - 0%

Quads in the left leg hurt on the way out, changed my ride style. Glutes hurt towards the end. Hit VO2 max with about 3k to go, but the remaining 2 riders were in worse state than me, so I did most of the final work.

Yes, intend to ride Grafton to Inverall

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:49 pm

How did the time compare with ITT's on the same course?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:17 pm

I don't think this course has been used previously for ITT

vander

Postby vander » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Along that same line of questioning how does the course compare to Calga?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 pm

I haven't got proper data yet, but todays TTT would of been slower than my ITT average speed at Calga. A bit like comparing apples with oranges