Cycle tracks around Padstow area

peter

Cycle tracks around Padstow area

Postby peter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Is there any cycle tracks near and around Padstow area? Not expecting anything extensive like Western Sydney, but at least a good 30km loop mostly on shared path, if such things exist?

JohnJoyner

Re: Cycle tracks around Padstow area

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Not that I know of... I used to live in Revesby & commute to work, now live in Narwee & commute to work... I never found any extensive cycle paths in the area. Other than the ones with the bike painted on the side of the road, indicating a bike lane & usually occupied by cars... :evil:

I made the effort & drove to the M7 cycle path last week & went for an hour ride... Oh the sweet joy of not having to worry about cars... Will be doing that more often now...

peter

Postby peter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks for responding.

I try not to drive half an hour just to get to somewhere to start cycling.

The cycling infrastructure in the south west is quite poor. When I was at Parramatta there're cycle paths to just about everywhere.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

peter

Postby peter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 pm

I guess there are more options east of Salt Pan Creek, being at the west side there are only 2 ways to cross it, M5 or that little bridge.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Third option: Henry Lawson Drive, but I'd be too chicken for that.

Fourth Option: Not sure how good the connection on the Padstow side is, but there's a few kms of good cycleway across
the Alford's Point Bridge. Hill repeats on that would keep you real fit :)

Fifth Option: Find your way through backstreets to Revesby, then along the marked cycleways to East Hills, then north along the cycleways beside HLD to Lansvale and the Orphan School Creek cycleways and/or Liverpool Rail Trail. I assume you've checked out http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=14&la ... layers=B00

If you're "little bridge" is the one just north of the M5 crossing, be careful on it - it gets pretty mossy and slippery; I lost some bark on it a few years ago. Now prefer to ride on the M5 shoulder to taking that twisted route :)

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

daacha

Postby daacha » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Peter i have notice cycle paths running through the back of Panania that seem to join up to the path on Henry Lawson Dr. From this path you can get to the velodrome and beyond (western Sydney, SOP etc) without leaving the path. However coming from further west than you i haven't been past the bridge at Milperra.

daacha

***wombat beat me to it **

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:23 pm

+1 for East Hills then north for miles through Fairfield, almost all on bike paths if you want. Check out Fairfield, Liverpool and Bankstown cycle path maps (from RTA or councils).

Also good to hook into Sutherland area via Alford's Point bridge. It makes a nice round trip if you come back via the bike and pedestrian bridge at Como, although you'll need to do some road riding for that.

And Henry Lawson Drive through the Picnic Pt area can get busy, but it's fine on quiet nights (Monday to Thursday) or early Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I find the ordinary roads in the Padstow/East Hills/Georges Hall area are pretty good. They are wide, well-surfaced and normally quiet.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

peter

Postby peter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 pm

wombatK wrote:Fifth Option: Find your way through backstreets to Revesby, then along the marked cycleways to East Hills, then north along the cycleways beside HLD to Lansvale and the Orphan School Creek cycleways and/or Liverpool Rail Trail. I assume you've checked out http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=14&la ... layers=B00
Cool!!! I didn't know about this one, will look into this further.

Thanks again!