It appears Mr Angrypants is back...

ColinOldnCranky

Re: It appears Mr Angrypants is back...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:21 am

hooman wrote:One of my staff was yelled at by a cyclist on a green mountain bike wearing black on Tuesday evening at the base of Jacob's Ladder. She was freaked out! She said she had seen him around on other days but this time he just got too close.
Likely - by reports that is his ground.

He is not a big guy from what I have glanced and his helmet has a bit of green to it also. It seems that many of us have had little interactions with him but no one has stepped forward with much else so it is hard to make an assessment of the guy. But it is reasonable to have some nervous misgivings. My one interaction makes me think he is a bit delusional.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Spotted Mr Angrypants turning left onto railway pde from kimberly st in west leedo at the new roundabout, he didnt stop/slowdown for oncoming traffic and a taxi nicked his elbow

he wasnt happy :lol:

i then see him proceed to chase down the taxi!

never saw what became of it as i was going opposite direction.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Sounds like I had a run in today but not with Mr Angrypants but another angrypants.
Riverside Road in East Freo I had to slow down for a cyclist infront due to vehicle traffic. Traffic goes past and I was clear. Ring my bell twice and proceed to overtake. Next thing the stuff coming out of mouth... Should have gone behind him again and shredded his rear tyre with my front chainring...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:58 pm

hey If this is the spotto blog for Mr Angry pants well I had an encounter with him on the P$P at Powis st bridge he was northbound shouted something about keeping my head up whilst riding with a few expletives but went past too fast so I couldn't react in time with the baton or pepper spray.(Just joking)

he is clearly a mental case

This guy is going to say something to someone one day and that may be the end of Mr Angrypants but in the interim got a chance to put him in the blog
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:04 am

I think this is the same guy I used to see years ago in the city. He used to ride a bike then and would abuse random people for no reason.
I had a few run ins with him and found him to be harmless, when confronted he would just yell and carry on but he never looked as though he would get physical.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

loz618

Postby loz618 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Had my first encounter with this guy on Saturday morning, July 7th about 7.30am on my way home from work (graveyard shift). It was on that little section of shared path over the underpass/roundabout the other side of the railway from Karrakatta cemetery. Didn't see his bike, but appearance and behaviour seem identical to the fellow mentioned here. Two guys had stopped in the Freo direction and I was heading towards the city. He was coming in the opposite direction, in my lane already despite the fact I would have passed the stopped cyclists first if I hadn't slowed down. He started yelling abuse, something about me being in the way I think (punctuated by several naughty words) and tried to give me a kick as he passed me.

This thread has two years of activity and the cops haven't done anything? Typical.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:35 pm

loz618 wrote:Had my first encounter with this guy on Saturday morning, July 7th about 7.30am on my way home from work (graveyard shift). It was on that little section of shared path over the underpass/roundabout the other side of the railway from Karrakatta cemetery. Didn't see his bike, but appearance and behaviour seem identical to the fellow mentioned here. Two guys had stopped in the Freo direction and I was heading towards the city. He was coming in the opposite direction, in my lane already despite the fact I would have passed the stopped cyclists first if I hadn't slowed down. He started yelling abuse, something about me being in the way I think (punctuated by several naughty words) and tried to give me a kick as he passed me.

This thread has two years of activity and the cops haven't done anything? Typical.
Not too sure what the police can do. AFAIK no-one is yet to identify the guy although I did post a few months back post about a cyclist chasing him rather publicly thru the CBD in what I guess may have been an attempt to do just that.

After ID comes clearly demonstrating his behavior and, as he makes rare appearances that is tough too. I have had two fleeting sightings of him and the one of him being chased thru the CBD and, as many will attest, I am out and about more than most and cross the narrows, said to be one of his regular runs, almost daily.

There doesn't even seem to be much in the way of pics or video, neither of which is normally given much weight in prosecutions anyway when submitted by the general public.

Have you notified the police of this issue or even this thread? No. I see you are very new to the forum but even now are you going to? Would they be able to do much even if you did? Methinks the police in this case have little to be embarrassed about.

btw loz, welcome to the forum. :D

fixed

Postby fixed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 pm

He's still doing it. Just been contacted by West journo re another incident on PSP between Narrows and Parliament House Tuesday 17 July 2012. Same MO. No photo.
This has been going on too long for this one individual to continue this behaviour without any kind of sanction.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

I don't quite know what sort of sanction people are expecting here. Anyone who has actually engaged with him can tell he has a serious disability and a mental age of about 7. It doesn't excuse his behaviour but if someone actually did go to the police (and there seems to be lots of whinging here with no actual reports to the police) what are you going to report? He doesn't physically attack people, what are you going to do when the police say to you "do you really want to proceed with your complaint against this intellectually disabled person"?

30 years ago we locked people like him up. Now our society has moved on. The presence of this guy is the unfortunate side-effect of that.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:35 am

scirocco wrote:I don't quite know what sort of sanction people are expecting here. Anyone who has actually engaged with him can tell he has a serious disability and a mental age of about 7. It doesn't excuse his behaviour but if someone actually did go to the police (and there seems to be lots of whinging here with no actual reports to the police) what are you going to report? He doesn't physically attack people, what are you going to do when the police say to you "do you really want to proceed with your complaint against this intellectually disabled person"?

30 years ago we locked people like him up. Now our society has moved on. The presence of this guy is the unfortunate side-effect of that.
+1
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 am

GraemeL wrote:
scirocco wrote:I don't quite know what sort of sanction people are expecting here. Anyone who has actually engaged with him can tell he has a serious disability and a mental age of about 7. It doesn't excuse his behaviour but if someone actually did go to the police (and there seems to be lots of whinging here with no actual reports to the police) what are you going to report? He doesn't physically attack people, what are you going to do when the police say to you "do you really want to proceed with your complaint against this intellectually disabled person"?
+1
more +1 from me

Gotta love the proactivism of online lynch mobs

I suspect there probably have been reports to the Police at various adjoining stations jurisdictions and the like. I dare say the guy's antics are known and they probably know him by proper name. I'd agree the guy has problems and from most descriptions he is almost completly bluff. Where he does physically contact someone, it's someone he deems weaker than himself - like an older woman or at least he knows he has a quick out after a half hearted kick or swipe attempt. If he was person with a genuine, physically violent streak he would hurt you.

It wouldn't surprise me Police probably have sent uniform around and had words to him and any carers on a couple of occasions. I agree with the current status of society, mental health care and support network for carers and the gradually shifting societal attitudes to mentally impaired or challenged people.

I don't think all the keyboard waving and anguished forum posting in the world is going to change a thing. Might as well phone in to Howard Sattler or keep going "tut tut" at the articles in the West Australian over your morning tea & iced vovos for all the good it does.

Otherwise I think the only positive thing I can offer is to talk to people you know who may ride around the mentioned areas with any regularity and mention his loose description and behaviour to them. That way if he is encountered, he is marginally less startling and people are at least bit better prepared to ignore him and his child like bullying tactics.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

dampier

Postby dampier » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:27 pm

I had an encounter with this cyclist a month or so ago on the psp near city west train station. It was about 3:30 with all the school kids going to the station and a train had just left. I came in off Thomas street and he appeared from the subiaco direction.

There were a series of groups of children spaced about 10m apart. For some reason he thought that they should not be using the path and as he went down the path he cut in on each group literally within centimeters of their faces and the language, well there are things you should not say in front of children. He then went through the pedestrian crossing at full speed, hitting the bags of one elderly lady who was crossing.

I have never been so ashamed of being a cyclist and I actually had to stop and apologize to each group and to the lady at the crossing. He actually stopped at the second pedestrian crossing, turned his bike to face me as I came down the path. I slowed down to confront him but he must have second thoughts and rode off down the road. He fitted the description of the lime green bike. He is a young bloke about 25 years old, slim build, aviation style sunglasses denim shorts, polo style shirt and helmet.

It was a most disturbing display, with the children having a cyclist appear with in a hands breadth of their faces, I still do not know how or if he did miss them all. The elderly lady was shaken and I suspect the language did not help at all. Reading this thread I have noticed an escalation in his behavior and it will be only a matter of time before something serious occurs.

I am not sure what can be done about this as there is not much that you can do other than go to the police who I suspect have greater priorities than a few near misses on a psp. As to the cyclist, well we take cars away from hoons and destroy them, perhaps the same should happen in this case. Mental illness is no excuse for this type of behavior.

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Scirocco, you have actually engaged with him and determined his mental functionality?
When did this happen, what were the circumstances, what actions did you take?
I take his threatening behaviour and actions as akin to assault.
scirocco wrote:Anyone who has actually engaged with him can tell he has a serious disability and ...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 am

+1. There are far more likely hazards out there including a great many regular cyclists in a hurry.

As for reporting scirocco, I am not sure than anyone has ever had a transaction long enough to elicit much info about the guy other than what you reasonably conclude. One or two pics, a flash of video and sporadic reports on this site.

If look forward to perhaps one day getting to engage with him (in a friendly way I mean) and get some of his story. I've only come across him three times in the last three or four years.

Ant-R

Postby Ant-R » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:58 pm

GraemeL wrote:

+1

It is not up to any one of us individuals, including whichever police officers get involved, to decide how to deal with this man. A complaint is exactly that. Repeatedly attempting to kick people who are riding 30+ kph is worthy of complaint.
Not to mention, anyone that has engaged with him has no psychiatric training or experience so cannot say what is wrong with him and what he is or is not capable of.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:35 pm

yes he does actually physically attack people - my friend has been hit twice by him - once on the head and once on the arm.

And as the mum of a 7 year old I can tell you categorically that the majority of 7 year olds know that it is inappropriate and unacceptable to physically attack people, and in general they know that verbally abusing and intimidating people is not on either - and it would never cross their minds to do it to random people they encounter on the street.

I think the point is that most people are posting 'sightings' here as part of a frustration of having been abused or intimidated and being unable to do anything about it, and to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

It is surely not appropriate for one individual to consistently intimidate and verbally and physically abuse people on an ongoing basis without recourse, disability or not?

I don't have the answer, but just wanted to point out that what he is doing is not appropriate or acceptable and shouldn't be dismissed just because he (possibly) has a disability.

fixed

Postby fixed » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm

+1
I've had two threatening assaults from this man. The second was reported to police in South Perth. Nothing has happened as a result

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Ok.... so..... maybe here's an idea;

More people should go to the effort of reporting incidents. Make a point of getting a case number. Post it here for others to quote when they report theirs. Some sort of gradual snowball effect might gain some worthwhile impetus for the Boys & Girls in Blue to follow up with the offender and any potential carer or guardian he may have.

Maybe share some consistent information with the others.
  • Date & Time of Incident
    Location of Incident
    WA Police Case # XXXXXX Reported to : (Which station, Crimestoppers... whatever)
    Brief summary of incident : Needn't be as long as any statement made... just few sentence summary, noting if physical contact was made. People abused etc.
If people that have made complaints wish swap via PM more information and their own contact details, maybe do so. It'd needn't be publicly listed in the forum.

The more complaints that are potentially cross referenced, the better. They maybe all hanging in isolation otherwise.

Just trying to float out some positive, united action ideas here.
--

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:43 am

Care should be taken in sharing this sort of information, particularly in a public forum. If the matter ever comes to trial in a court, then this would be regarded as "hearsay evidence" ie a witness/ complainant telling the police/ court what someone else has told them. This could then be used to weaken or even totally discredit other evidence in the matter, possibly resulting in dismissal of any charges against the defendant. If the defence counsel presents the contents of this forum to the court, it would not be a difficult task to convince the magistrate that there is collusion between some parties.

It may be acceptable to post here in general terms as a means of cautioning other cyclists, but there's no reason to put exact time and place. By all means, keep your own notes and give them to the police, but make sure you don't try to use something you've read here or in another form of communication to strengthen your own case.

Everybody should be treated equally before the law, even if you think certain people shouldn't be.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

exadios

Postby exadios » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Joeblake wrote:Care should be taken in sharing this sort of information, particularly in a public forum. If the matter ever comes to trial in a court, then this would be regarded as "hearsay evidence" ie a witness/ complainant telling the police/ court what someone else has told them. This could then be used to weaken or even totally discredit other evidence in the matter, possibly resulting in dismissal of any charges against the defendant. If the defence counsel presents the contents of this forum to the court, it would not be a difficult task to convince the magistrate that there is collusion between some parties.

It may be acceptable to post here in general terms as a means of cautioning other cyclists, but there's no reason to put exact time and place. By all means, keep your own notes and give them to the police, but make sure you don't try to use something you've read here or in another form of communication to strengthen your own case.

Everybody should be treated equally before the law, even if you think certain people shouldn't be.

Joe
+1.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:02 pm

I successfully used a surfing forum to organise the bringing together of victims and witnesses for police to bring a meth head to criminal prosecution for a string of serious assaults. We got a guilty plea to a number of the charges. This person and his SC legal eagle knew a forum was used in this way against him.

So long as witnesses stick to only what they each saw for themselves, and state "I saw this person ..." [identified by photo lineup] "do X to Y on date and time Z", and are prepared to go to court and swear on oath to the facts with integrity, and be cross-examined, the fact a forum was used to bring the witnesses together for police is completely immaterial.

All you have to do is convince a jury of your peers of the facts beyond *reasonable* doubt. You know what you have each seen. Be firm. Be clear. Be adamant. Be persistent. Above all, be truthful and don't window-dress. If you have any doubts as to your ability to identify the person on your own without help, you are not a witness.

This guy has obvious issues, and the cause of them is not our concern, only the behaviour. It needs to be dealt with.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 pm

trailgumby wrote:-100.

I successfully used a surfing forum to organise the bringing together of victims and witnesses for police to bring a meth head to criminal prosecution for a string of serious assaults. We got a guilty plea to a number of the charges.
A guilty plea is not the same as having the evidence of witnesses subjected to cross-examination and then the accused being found guilty by the court. A plea of guilty simply means the accused admits to the charges, and there is in effect no trial of any evidence.

As a court reporter for about 20 years I cannot number the times I have seen a "reasonable doubt" successfully raised about the credibility of the witness (not the guilt of the accused) by the introduction of seemingly innocuous matters. As a witness being cross-examined, you have little if any say in what questions you are asked. If your counsel raises an objection to a line of questioning, the defence of "testing the credibility of the witness" is very commonly the response. Based on my own experience I'd say that " the fact a forum was used to bring the witnesses together" would be very material, particularly if it would appear (and it only needs the appearance) that there was some collusion. These forums (except for things like the Halfway Cafe) are capable of being accessed by the general public, and it wouldn't take sensible counsel long to dig up something damaging.

All I am suggesting (and it was in my opening sentence), is that care should be taken.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Fair enough. Points taken. I speak with naivety on such legal matters.

Whilst I agree people are venting thier frustration, I see complaints here, as with most online forums, just disappearing into the ether. I see that as rather frustrating in itself. Time for me to unsubscribe and ignore this thread, like I do many others ;)
--

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 pm

How about we leave all the bush lawyer arguments to another thread.

In the meantime here is a guy out there who presents some hazard. It would be nice to make the the risk go away. And it does not have to be via prosecution, which, if the guy has mental issues, is not going to stop him anyway.
  • No one seems to be able to get much of handle on the guy and his random movements. So if you think you have come across him then maybe report to the local constabulary to build a base.
  • Ease up on blaming the cops - this thread has been going for 45 months now and a quick look at it indicates almost zero to go on. This guy is not one to easily find for us cyclist who share his space. What superhuman powers do you think the cops have? The video reposted below is about as much as we have. I had to check it frame by frame in order to establish a chance that the guy I came across was Angry Pants, and the only thing I then got was the greeny tint to the bike and some green on his helmet. A more obvious viewing a few weeks later helped cement my belief but it would still not be strong enough in a court.
  • As no-one seems able to get much of an idea of ID then any reporting to police is likely to be not linked to other reports. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how we help the police make that link
So, what do we do? Perhaps...
  • If you are reporting either here or the police how about taking at least a little care into determining a reasonable chance that the person you come into contact with is indeed Angry Pants.
  • It would be good when you do think you have come across him to post here asap as some basic info on the place, time, direction. There is chance that he will reappear thereabouts shortly after and alert riders may actually see or record something of use.
  • Is there something that we, when reporting to police, can have them link the report to others? Something procedural.
The sum total of what I can find recorded after nealry 4 years is:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VFs1zq ... r_embedded[/youtube]

sandy

Postby sandy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Mr "Angrypants" (Adrian) is actually quite alright provided you are on the right side of him, I've talked to him a few times, he's quite harmless really! :D
I've had him come up to me at the Welshpool Road level crossing a while back while the gates were down, he said watch this... I watched him get lifted up by the boom-gates as they ascended.
He appears ok if he's in a quiet situation, yes he yells (barks) at cars, but he's only vocallising how he feels, the rest of us shut up about it.
Going on some of the comments here, some riders should just accept that he's the square peg that won't fit in the round hole!