Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Stagead » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:33 am

I ride an oppy a5 with mavic aksium race wheels.

I do mostly climbing and these wheels flex a bit and it loosens the spokes quickly.

Need advice on a wheelset that is, stiff, and reasonably priced.

Cheers
Stagead
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 am

by BNA » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:02 pm

BNA
 

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Durace c24's rock. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby antipodean » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:07 pm

With a 12 month warranty why not try these.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/edge- ... /WWS-XR200
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby brawlo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Being a big guy myself, my answer would be to get the parts you want and get the wheels built by a good wheelbuilder. There are plenty of off the shelf options that can suit just fine though.

I'm going through the process of reading Jobst Brandt's book on wheelbuilding at the moment, and I would recommend that while you're waiting for the new wheels to get there, that you get the spokes tensioned a bit tighter. You may find that that will solve many of your problems. They will be a good training/backup wheelset then.
brawlo
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: Goulburn, NSW

Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby themerlin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I have of velocity deep v's from bicycle wheels.com cost about 370 inc postage.
Very stiff strong wheels.
themerlin
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 am

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Stagead wrote:I ride an oppy a5 with mavic aksium race wheels.

I do mostly climbing and these wheels flex a bit and it loosens the spokes quickly.

Need advice on a wheelset that is, stiff, and reasonably priced.

Cheers


Try Pro-lite Bracciano or Merano at our website: www.pro-liteoz.com
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:54 am

themerlin wrote:I have of velocity deep v's from bicycle wheels.com cost about 370 inc postage.
Very stiff strong wheels.


Deep V's are not really lightweight climbing wheels. But they are strong.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby hanzao » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 am

Comedian wrote:Durace c24's rock. :)


Hope so because I got these too
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Image
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook
hanzao
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:49 am
Location: WA

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 am

+1 on DA C24
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Mavic Ksyrium SL's for me. Hear good things about the Pro lites for the money.
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby MarkG » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:35 am

Fulcrum Zero or 1's - both excellent, bullet proof wheels with exceptional hubs and no weight limit.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby themerlin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:06 pm

antipodean wrote:With a 12 month warranty why not try these.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/edge- ... /WWS-XR200


Has anyone tried these ?
themerlin
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 am

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Why not check out Melb Wheel builder Corecarbon? www.corecarbon.com.au they make a 38 and a 58 both are UCI legal and roll really nicely.
fixedlegs2012
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Pretty light but there must be a reason similar "brand name" wheels cost 2 or 3 times that.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby themerlin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Ross wrote:Pretty light but there must be a reason similar "brand name" wheels cost 2 or 3 times that.


83kg limit might be the reason
themerlin
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 am

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:29 pm

How much do you weigh?
Hmmmm...never heard of anyone who does mainly climbing before, on a roadie.

Whatever your bodyweight, you'll get a stiffer wheel with a higher spoke count than the Aksium 20/20, and wider rear flange/flange width.

Most OEM wheelsets have loctite or similar applied to the spoke thread, to stop them from loosening....quickly.
But many wheelbuilders argue that loctite shouldn't be necessary if the wheels are tensioned correctly.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Crawf » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 am

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Why not check out Melb Wheel builder Corecarbon? http://www.corecarbon.com.au they make a 38 and a 58 both are UCI legal and roll really nicely.


Take one Chinese wheelset
Add two drops of decals
Add 60% to the price tag
Bake up a snazzy website and you have the same product as everybody else.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby __PG__ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 am

If the original poster is lightweight you could build a set of custom wheels on Stans Alpha alloy rims which are less than 400 grams. Laced up to a set of White Industries hubs you'd have a sub 1400g wheelset that won't brake the bank. But this wouldn't be recommended for a heavier rider.
Image
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Crawf » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 am

__PG__ wrote:If the original poster is lightweight you could build a set of custom wheels on Stans Alpha alloy rims which are less than 400 grams. Laced up to a set of White Industries hubs you'd have a sub 1400g wheelset that won't brake the bank. But this wouldn't be recommended for a heavier rider.


The newer Alpha rims are beefed up, so should be less of an issue weight wise.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby hannos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 am

PawPaw wrote:Hmmmm...never heard of anyone who does mainly climbing before, on a roadie.



I have!

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/


:mrgreen:
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4025
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby PawPaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am

If I did a lot of climbing I·d be reticent to use carbon rims.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby __PG__ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm

PawPaw wrote:If I did a lot of climbing I·d be reticent to use carbon rims.

Agree. Braking on carbon rims on the way down is an issue. I wonder what the pros use on the big days in the Pyrenees and Alps?
Image
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby PawPaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:29 pm

__PG__ wrote:
PawPaw wrote:If I did a lot of climbing I·d be reticent to use carbon rims.

Agree. Braking on carbon rims on the way down is an issue. I wonder what the pros use on the big days in the Pyrenees and Alps?


very few (<10-15%) looked to be using carbon on the hills. most (>85%) did on the flatter stages.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm

PawPaw wrote:How much do you weigh?
Hmmmm...never heard of anyone who does mainly climbing before, on a roadie.

Whatever your bodyweight, you'll get a stiffer wheel with a higher spoke count than the Aksium 20/20, and wider rear flange/flange width.

Most OEM wheelsets have loctite or similar applied to the spoke thread, to stop them from loosening....quickly.
But many wheelbuilders argue that loctite shouldn't be necessary if the wheels are tensioned correctly.


If a large hub flange is high on your wish list - check these out:

Image

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=83
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby MarkG » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Fulcrum Zeros are plenty cheap on the interweb :)
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], chubbo, JustinTaylor



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit