Spring Cycle 2012

Rockford

Re: Spring Cycle 2012

Postby Rockford » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Rockford wrote:OK so I've got my BNSW renewal in hand.

I don't do the Spring Cycle since they stopped doing it from out West. There is no magazine anymore, what am I paying for? $104 for Public Liability insurance?
I spoke to GIO today and they said I have PLI as part of my contents insurance and would be covered (bike won't be but I have Velosure for that). So I guess I won't be renewing with BNSW as it offers me nothing.

peter

Postby peter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 am

Have to agree the price is a bit steep.

2008: $60 (early entry)
2009: $44 (early entry)
2010: $55 (early entry)
2011: $50 (membership)
2012: $75 (no early entry option)

In comparison with the MS Gong Ride, I would imagine the Gong Ride takes a lot more to organise (though MS raise more money, a lot more, but I don't think it's used to subsidise the event)

2008: $55
2009: $65
2010: $65 (early entry)
2011: $65 (early entry)
2012: $65 (early entry)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Peter, you are forgetting that the Gong Ride in the past two or three years has had the requirement for entrants to kick-in with another $250 of sponsorship so that changes the entry fee parameters a little bit.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:26 pm

I don't think they'll say to whomever didn't get to $250 and tell them they are not eligible to ride.

peter

Postby peter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:54 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Peter, you are forgetting that the Gong Ride in the past two or three years has had the requirement for entrants to kick-in with another $250 of sponsorship so that changes the entry fee parameters a little bit.
It's only a guide, not strictly enforced. You don't get penalised for not reaching the target, but you are supposed to receive a priority registration code for the next year's event if you do make the $250 mark.

steveagle

Postby steveagle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Peter, you are forgetting that the Gong Ride in the past two or three years has had the requirement for entrants to kick-in with another $250 of sponsorship so that changes the entry fee parameters a little bit.
Gong ride and Spring Cycle are two different types of events. Gong ride has always been about raising money for MS. Spring Cycle seems to be a family friendly/beginners bike ride with raising money for a cause tacked on as an after thought.

The Gong ride is MS' primary fund raising event but as others have mentioned, its not strictly enforced. The $65 fee isn't part of the donation so if they didn't suggest the $250 sponsorship, you would find plenty more people entering without even trying to raise money.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced 1

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:53 am

Just a heads-up for those riding in tomorrow's Spring Cycle. The nasty potholes under
the railway underpass at Rhodes (Walker St) have deteriorated a lot since last year.

The route north from Concord to Rhodes will be following the new shoreline path
and coming up to the road just west of the railway underpass. So you will still have
to negotiate this ugly bit of road.

Unfortunately, emails to council and Bicycle NSW have not produced any repairs.

So lookout for these kiddies...

WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:33 pm

queequeg wrote:$75 to ride on public roads, which are not closed to traffic (with the exception of the start and SHB crossing).
Hmm. No thanks!
Yeah, not interested at all. I went for a ride today.It cost me nothing and was quite enjoyable and the route was just about completely empty, nobody else out and about, perhaps because of the heat.

I know a few people who have entered though.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 pm

wombatK wrote:Just a heads-up for those riding in tomorrow's Spring Cycle. The nasty potholes under
the railway underpass at Rhodes (Walker St) have deteriorated a lot since last year.

and coming up to the road just west of the railway underpass. So you will still have

So lookout for these kiddies...

Yep I ride through there every time I ride to work, well worth slowing a little for (try doing it with an angry truck up your back-side when you're in the middle of the lane because you want to turn right).

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:59 pm

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/media ... YWxsPTE%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Team - this happened behind me, and I heard about it at the finish line.

The police would like to speak to anyone who may have actually seen the incident.

Link is to NSW Police media release.

JM

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 am

Sydguy wrote:http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/media ... YWxsPTE%3D

Hi Team - this happened behind me, and I heard about it at the finish line.

The police would like to speak to anyone who may have actually seen the incident.

Link is to NSW Police media release.

JM
I rode through there in the opposite direction to the Spring Cycle route (as I was heading from home to the park to assist at the finish like), but I was coming through around 10:45am. Based on what I saw in terms of how people were organising themselves on the path, it is highly likely they were simply not looking where they were going and/or were going too fast for the conditions.
Both times I have done the Spring Cycle I have seen cyclists seriously injured, with some not even making it as far as the Harbour Bridge!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:12 am

Just got my online edition of BNSW's Push-On e-magazine and it says that there was a total of 9129 riders out doing the various rides on the Spring Cycle.
It also says that over $40,000 was raised for charity, which works out at around $4.38 per person, which is hardly anything.
Perhaps some of the overpriced entry fee should have gone to charity also.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 pm

wombatK wrote:Just a heads-up for those riding in tomorrow's Spring Cycle. The nasty potholes under

Can now happily report that the emails might have produced the right effect.

The worst side of the underpass (north side) was fixed by this evening -
although the road was still half-closed. Hopefully, the other side will happen
over the next few days.

They haven't pussy-footed around with just plunking hotmix in the cracks, but
have resurfaced the full lane width. While it might have been good to have it
in nicer shape for the Spring Cycle, the better repair is definitely worth the wait.

Kudos to Canada Bay council - when you look at the Traffic Control and plant
issues required to do the proper job, it's pretty understandable that it
took a few weeks to organise. Should've emailed them sooner, I guess :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 am

wombatK wrote:
wombatK wrote:
Can now happily report that the emails might have produced the right effect.

The worst side of the underpass (north side) was fixed by this evening -
although the road was still half-closed. Hopefully, the other side will happen
over the next few days.

They haven't pussy-footed around with just plunking hotmix in the cracks, but
have resurfaced the full lane width. While it might have been good to have it
in nicer shape for the Spring Cycle, the better repair is definitely worth the wait.

Kudos to Canada Bay council - when you look at the Traffic Control and plant
issues required to do the proper job, it's pretty understandable that it
took a few weeks to organise. Should've emailed them sooner, I guess :)
Yes, I passed through there last week while the work was happening. Not only pleased to see it underway, but also found the gent doing traffic control to be very friendly as I waited for my turn to go. With the foreshore route open, and now this repair, the trip through Rhodes is much more pleasant. Well done to all.