Planning for the Connecteast hanover Charity Ride

adrian_d

Planning for the Connecteast hanover Charity Ride

Postby adrian_d » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 am

Hi All,
I'm just new to Road Bikes and wanted to set myself a little goal to work towards, i've got myself a Kestrel KM40 road bike and wanted to take part in the upcoming Hanover Connecteast Ride For Home 75km Event.

There are certain requirements that have been set for the untimed race which is a minimum of 22km an hour for the distance of the race.
I am wondering how difficult it would be to sustain 22km an hour for the duration of the run. I'm sure that it is more of an average than a minimum.

I am currently preparing myself mentally and physically by doing regular rides and working out on my fitness levels at the gym.

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice for preparing for the event. It is 115 days away so I can make really good use of that time.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

gplama

Re: Planning for the Connecteast hanover Charity Ride

Postby gplama » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:48 pm

adrian_d wrote:There are certain requirements that have been set for the untimed race which is a minimum of 22km an hour for the distance of the race.
I am wondering how difficult it would be to sustain 22km an hour for the duration of the run.
Not difficult at all. No stop lights, no give ways, no traffic, so it is easier to maintain a higher average speed than riding anywhere else for 2-3hrs.

My advice: Get a Garmin 500 or 800 to track your speed/distance/time of each ride. Upload your rides to Strava or Garmin Connect. Keep an eye on your stats.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Grim

Postby Grim » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:40 pm

With 0 training you will be able to maintain 22km/h on eastlink. To put the "fast" nature of the surface in perspective, pretty much every competitior in last years IM Melbourne posted PRs for the bike leg. As the previous poster noted, no, traffic lights, relatively sheltered course and smooth bitumen, it would be suprising if an averge fit person would not be posting speeds in the high 20s or low 30s.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:37 am

Good luck to all riding in this...just about head off to Ringwood now.