Good LBS Warner's Bay?

The Walrus

Good LBS Warner's Bay?

Postby The Walrus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:26 am

I have a friend with an older bike and looking to do some riding but needs a decent LBS to get a good service and make the bike safe.

Does anyone now a decent LBS in that area rather than in Newcaste?
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

kirky92au

Re: Good LBS Warner's Bay?

Postby kirky92au » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:45 am

Sorry I don't know any stores in Warners Bay, however at Kotara you could try Drift Bikes. I've never used them for service but when I went into the store seemed very well kept so might be worth a try. There is also Avanti Plus at Kotara as well, though I can't comment on how good their servicing is.

If you do end up going into Newcastle I can't recommend Two Wheel Industries on Hunter Street enough. I recently bought my bike from there and that was after going to 7 other bike stores between Belmont to Newcastle and they had the best customer service by far.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 am

Carter cycles in Boolaroo is the closest probably and easy to get too along the foreshore cycle way and up Main rd. I do most of my own work, but have picked up a couple of things from there from time to time. Seems to be a bit of an old school LBS, no flashy parts or presentation just good old fashioned knowledge. For newer or MTB stuff I'd probably head to Back2Bikes in Wallsend or Gateshead Cycles.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 am

There used to be a place called Beyond Bikes in that massive shopping area along Hillsborough Road. No idea if it's still there.

Other than that, I think the other two closest shops have been suggested - Boolaroo and Gateshead. There's also a Hadley Cycles down at Belmont.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 am

ningnangnong wrote:There used to be a place called Beyond Bikes in that massive shopping area along Hillsborough Road. No idea if it's still there.

Other than that, I think the other two closest shops have been suggested - Boolaroo and Gateshead. There's also a Hadley Cycles down at Belmont.
Beyond Bikes
335 Hillsborough Rd
2282 Warners Bay NSW
Phone: (02) 4950 4616

Never been in the shop so no idea what they are like. Apart from that - Boolaroo as said above or one of the 2 in Kotara (Drift or Avanti). Avanti did a good service last time I used them for that about 2 years ago - happy with the service and the price. Since then I have done pretty much everything myself.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Beyond Bikes went out of business ages ago after moving into a small shop in Warners Bay. Carters is pretty good (Main Rd Boolaroo) but if your friend wants to travel a bit then I can recommend Breakaway Cycles at Morisset. dallas is a good guy and isn't into overcharging.
He/she could also try a guy called Maurice Mathe at Adamstown. Don't have a phone number or address though.
Other than that, work through the Yellow Pages.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:He/she could also try a guy called Maurice Mathe at Adamstown. Don't have a phone number or address though.
Other than that, work through the Yellow Pages.
Be prepared for a looooong conversation if you go to visit Maurice :P but he know his stuff.
We are basically back in Newcastle at Adamstown tho so Civic Bikes in Hunter St is another option.
Cheers
Richard

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks everyone...

Yes the boys at Drift are great and its my LBS so that was my first suggestion...I just wanted to see what option were available nearer to home for my mate.

I live close to Maurice Mathe but I've had some of those looooong conversations as well!

Cheers all
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:43 pm

Civic Bikes is good but has odd opening hours. Not open Monday, not open until 9.30am weekday mornings. Makes it hard to get the bikes in on the way to work. Also, parking is difficult there.

That said, mine and Mrs Monsoon's bikes are visitors there come servicing time 'coz Brian is a good bloke.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Well, it looks like Warners Bay does have a bike shop now!

Was just driving past and noticed a place called 'Cheeky Velosport' has opened up. Conveniently situated right next to a cafe as well. :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Dropped in there today. Seem to be well setup, but only open for about a week. Still sorting some things out, but staff were friendly and helpful. I'll be going back when I need an LBS.

Hope they can make a go of it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 am

Dropped in the other day.

Screams bling to me.

Lots of high end stuff.

Staff all seemed interested in talking to people about top end stuff with 2 huddled around each full carbon TT bike being discussed but no-one interested in talking to me looking at accessories. I eventually went to the service desk (about 3-4m from where I was standing) and a guy finally served me (who had been standing around but not come up to me while I was looking).

Over priced and over blinged in my opinion. If you want to drop 5-10k on a bike and have smoke blown up your butt then I think they would be great.

I wont be back in a hurry. Omega sold me a similar product, much sturdier for half the price.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Scarfy96 wrote: I wont be back in a hurry. Omega sold me a similar product, much sturdier for half the price.
These guys are pretty good then?

In the market for a roadie and they stock Cube bikes, which I like the look of. 8)

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 pm

ningnangnong wrote:
Scarfy96 wrote: I wont be back in a hurry. Omega sold me a similar product, much sturdier for half the price.

In the market for a roadie and they stock Cube bikes, which I like the look of. 8)
Yea, Omega do have a pretty good rep around town. As for Cheeky, nice flash store but prices did seem a bit steep.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 am

ningnangnong wrote:

I have found Omega pretty good. The owner especially (Ian) is very helpful and knowledgeable and prices are pretty reasonable. He isn't into bling so if you are after bling and the accompanying baggage then probably not ideal for you. If you are after a genuine decent shop with useful staff (mostly - one or two of the young kids are a bit iffy) then they are hard to go past in Newcastle.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Looks like Warners Bay has its second bike shop now!

Hunter Bikeworx opened on Monday I think. It's next door to KFC, in that area with The Good Guys, Officeworks, Genesis, etc.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 am

Yep, right across Hillsborough Rd from Cheeky. Will get in there soon for a nose around.
BTW, Cheeky is not totally high-end and they do have some nice stuff in there. They don't mind doing deals either, dropping prices a bit.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am

Hadn't seen bikeworx, will have to check it out.

And yes, had a couple of jobs done at Cheeky, they dropped their price to get closer to online for some parts.

I did get a price for some XT brakes from them at a good reduction from RRP but couldn't justify the extra $ over c r c for that item.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:09 pm

They did me a reasonable discount on some Fulcrum wheels for my flattie.