Lateral movement in rear wheel

Pravda

Lateral movement in rear wheel

Postby Pravda » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Did my regular once over of the bike after a longish ride yesterday and noticed my rear wheel is wobbling slightly on its hub. Not buckled by the way, it's like the hub isn't attached tightly enough and it's getting about 10mm of movement side to side. I pulled the cassette and freehub off, checked them and put them back on but it's not changed. Any suggestions?
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

ranget@bigpond.com

Re: Lateral movement in rear wheel

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Pravda wrote:Did my regular once over of the bike after a longish ride yesterday and noticed my rear wheel is wobbling slightly on its hub. Not buckled by the way, it's like the hub isn't attached tightly enough and it's getting about 10mm of movement side to side. I pulled the cassette and freehub off, checked them and put them back on but it's not changed. Any suggestions?
my rear 90mm full carbon wheel does that to , it makes you think the wheel laterally flexes rubbing against the brake pads,dont no but it pi$$i$ me of thinking about it

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Adjustable cones comes loose?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:14 pm

bychosis wrote:Adjustable cones comes loose?
This is probably what it is I'd imagine. Buggered if I know how it's happened though.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 am

Had it happen to me/mates a few times. They just seem to need checking/adjusting reasonably often. Sometimes if there are no tool available winding them n by hand is enough to get back to the workshop without ruining your bearings.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Pravda wrote:Did my regular once over of the bike after a longish ride yesterday and noticed my rear wheel is wobbling slightly on its hub. Not buckled by the way, it's like the hub isn't attached tightly enough and it's getting about 10mm of movement side to side. I pulled the cassette and freehub off, checked them and put them back on but it's not changed. Any suggestions?
Wobbling slightly...........................10mm

I think we can delete "slightly". :cry:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Probably need to get the axel out so you can have a propper look at it. Could be loose cones, could be a collapsed bearing or could be a broken rear axle.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am

Axle is all fine, pulled it apart last night and it seems to be in order. Apart from the wobble. Exhausted my expertise on the subject so Im dropping it into the lbs today.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Pravda wrote:Axle is all fine, pulled it apart last night and it seems to be in order. Apart from the wobble. Exhausted my expertise on the subject so Im dropping it into the lbs today.

I'm intersted to know what they find.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:28 am

Would help if we knew what sort of hub?

Ie zipp 188 hubs have some lateral play which is taken up when the wheel is vertically loaded (but not 10mm)... You adjust the lateral play by adjusting the bearing preload on the hub... If its a cone arrangement then given them a tighten and reassess

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Cartridge bearings knackered?

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Just in case it is a cone type bearing with loose balls - have you checked if there are the correct number of balls.

One of my mates had one of his bikes that was a ball short on each side and he adjusted and adjusted and adj..... then added one ball and adjusted and all was good.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 pm

It was loose cones. Almost brand new campag Zondas - 300km or so and they worked loose. Appear to be all good now.

2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Burlo

Postby Burlo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Could possibly be the free hub needs tightening. Remove the axle and tighten the free hub.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

westab wrote:One of my mates had one of his bikes that was a ball short on each side and he adjusted and adjusted and adj..... then added one ball and adjusted and all was good.
They are supposed to be like that...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...