Tacx Workstands

SpinninWheels

Tacx Workstands

Postby SpinninWheels » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:46 am

Hi All,

I'm looking to add a work stand to the collection of toys, to be used for bike cleaning and maintenance.

I understand there are some cheapies around, but would rather buy something that is a bit more sturdy and will last a good while.

I have been looking at two from Tacx. One is a traditional clamp style the Tacx T3025 Spider Professional Work stand. http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=15814

The second, Tacx T3050 Spider Team Work stand, supports the bike under the bottom bracket and from the front or back fork. http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... pgodiESURw

I'm looking for comments on which would be more practical / useful from those who have had more experience with work stands than I have.

My thoughts are supporting the front forks solves the problem of the bars and forks twisting around while you work. I believe this stand also spins through 360deg to allow access to both sides of the bike.

Interested to hear your thoughts. Cheers,

RonK

Tacx Workstands

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:11 am

I have had the spider team stand for several years. It's a great stand, but there are times when a clamp stand is more convenient, e.g. when I want to work on my mudguard equipped touring bikes. I bought a cheapie Torpedo 7 stand for that.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

SpinninWheels

Re: Tacx Workstands

Postby SpinninWheels » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks RonK,

Did the stand come with both the front and rear skewer brackets, the bottom bracket support and the tool tray/holder? The informationon the web site is not so complete>

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 am

SpinninWheels wrote:Thanks RonK,

Did the stand come with both the front and rear skewer brackets, the bottom bracket support and the tool tray/holder? The informationon the web site is not so complete>
Yes, all are included. After a few years of abuse mine is showing some surface rust on the chrome pillar, but it lives outside on my 16th floor balcony and gets wet anytime I wash bikes. Wouldn't have happened with a little more tlc.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 pm

I have a Tacx one similar to the spider stand. It supports by axle/bottom bracket, but has legs at each end. http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... delID=5209 It's quite stable, but less manouverable. I chose that style because I didn't want to clamp my carbon seatpost and the MTB top tube is the wrong shape. Was also a good price. MTB can be difficult to clamp the rear dropouts on the stand, possibly due to the extra weight of shocks on the front.

Like above I got a cheapo (Aldi) one for sometimes use. It doesn't have the strength to hold a bike in position unless it's balanced, but was great when stripping an old frame, easy to get frame only in all positions.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:36 pm

I've got the Spider Professional, bought it by mistake, meant to get the team one :oops:
But I love the fact I can mount the bike with wheels attached and work on everything at once.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:12 pm

RonK wrote:I have had the spider team stand for several years. It's a great stand, but there are times when a clamp stand is more convenient, e.g. when I want to work on my mudguard equipped touring bikes. I bought a cheapie Torpedo 7 stand for that.
I have a similar experience as RonK except that I have two bikes with mudguards and this is where the Tacx Spider Team falls down. I am now considering replacing it with a Feedback Sports Pro-Elite work stand.

BTW if you don't mind a bit of a wait, even with the postage you can get the Tacx stand for a much better price from http://bike24.net. Just remember to set your delivery as to Australia to get the price ex VAT (19%).

Andrew

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 am

I have both a bottom bracket mount and seat post/seat tube mount work stand. I find the BB mount one can be a pain sometimes as the stand can get in the way of the pedals, making shifting gears etc difficult.

SpinninWheels

Postby SpinninWheels » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I purchased the Spider Team Workstand from Chain Reaction Cycles. It arrived in about a week which was great. Landed for just a few bucks over $200. I am happy with the quality and have used it a few times.

I can see where a traditional clamp may be better for working with the wheels on etc, but with carbon aero style top tube and seat post I think this was the better option for my bike.

Cheers,

SW

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 am

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:I have had the spider team stand for several years. It's a great stand, but there are times when a clamp stand is more convenient, e.g. when I want to work on my mudguard equipped touring bikes. I bought a cheapie Torpedo 7 stand for that.
I have a similar experience as RonK except that I have two bikes with mudguards and this is where the Tacx Spider Team falls down. I am now considering replacing it with a Feedback Sports Pro-Elite work stand.

BTW if you don't mind a bit of a wait, even with the postage you can get the Tacx stand for a much better price from http://bike24.net. Just remember to set your delivery as to Australia to get the price ex VAT (19%).
Oh I don't know about the wait. I got my Feedback Pro Elite from Bike24 in a smidge over a week into regional Australia. Had it now a few weeks. Looked seriously at the Spider stand but since it didn't appear practical for the MTBs in the fleet then I figured the Feedback unit was the go. Seems to have been the case..
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:08 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Oh I don't know about the wait. I got my Feedback Pro Elite from Bike24 in a smidge over a week into regional Australia.
That is very good timing from my experience and what others have reported. Maybe they have recently improved their delivery times. I normally expect a month from http://bike24.net.

Andrew

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 am

Aushiker wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:Oh I don't know about the wait. I got my Feedback Pro Elite from Bike24 in a smidge over a week into regional Australia.
That is very good timing from my experience and what others have reported. Maybe they have recently improved their delivery times. I normally expect a month from http://bike24.net.

Andrew

It was out the door of Bike24 in a day and a half. DHL did the rest until they gave it to AusPost for the last couple of days.

Davobel

Postby Davobel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:59 pm

I got the 3050, love it. I have a carbon fibre cross bike and I didn't want to be clamping on the down tube. Works great for my roadie and MTB as well. Was quoted $550 here, got it for $200 OS. Shame really.

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I have the 3075 and find it great. Nearly bought the version which allows one to rotate the bike but am very happy with choice.. If could suggest any improvement, it would be to have more adjustment to enable things like seat installation and level long without having to do all sorts of leveling to get angle correct.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:11 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Oh I don't know about the wait. I got my Feedback Pro Elite from Bike24 in a smidge over a week into regional Australia. Had it now a few weeks. Looked seriously at the Spider stand but since it didn't appear practical for the MTBs in the fleet then I figured the Feedback unit was the go. Seems to have been the case..
How are you finding the stand?

Andrew

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:28 am

Aushiker wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:Oh I don't know about the wait. I got my Feedback Pro Elite from Bike24 in a smidge over a week into regional Australia. Had it now a few weeks. Looked seriously at the Spider stand but since it didn't appear practical for the MTBs in the fleet then I figured the Feedback unit was the go. Seems to have been the case..
How are you finding the stand?

Andrew
Easily! It's big and bright red so it stands out in the shed amongst all the other crap. :D

From a user perspective, it's a winner. Sets up and breaks down in seconds via some very solid QR clamps. The bike clamp itself is a gem of a thing - lift the bike, align the seat post in the clamp, push the clamp closed and spin the knob to tighten. To drop the bike out, press the release button and the clamp springs open.

Carries every bike we have with ease from the 10kg roadie to the 18-20 kg hybrid...no dramas with tipping even with the wheels spinning. Even when sitting off the concrete...

A very handy toy.

hotshod

Postby hotshod » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 am

I got the one that folds up might be T3075 ..... about $125 its great , the spider might be trick but the cheaper non spider is all you need and super stable .