Best training programme

ozstriker

Best training programme

Postby ozstriker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 pm

I have been looking at a comprehensive training programme.

Much like
http://www.cycling-inform.com/store/pro ... ckage.html
http://cyclo-core.com/training-systems/road-and-mtb/

Can anyone recommend a good one or tried these.

I need structure, i have tried spinervals but want more of a programme to it

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Best training programme

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 pm

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 am

For the best I would be talking to a coach, the best you can find (and afford) and get a custom program created with a mid to long term view. Nothing from a book/the web that is designed to fit the masses and get you "fit'n fast" in 12 weeks as they will be too generic and short sighted.

Taking a mid/long term view will see slightly slower progress initially but lead to greater gains overall in manner which allows continued training and no burn out.

A lot can be done over the web with the upload of bike computer files but I think a physical contact is still very important for coaching purposes and motivation - especially for one of your first.

Good luck.....
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 am

I would add that our plans provide for some level of customisation to suit each rider. Type of event being targeted, time available to train, current fitness level, experience, how much training you've been doing recently and so on are all taken into account with our plans.

Of course coaching is superior, however not everyone is able or willing to spend the money required for coaching.

But anyone is interested, we have an excellent team of professional coaches available.

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:29 pm

While I definitely agree that getting a coach and customized programme will ultimately work best it's sort of out of my price range at the moment.

Especially considering my level at the moment (definitely on the side of beginner) in more after a fairly broad programme or book that can give me direction. Like for example at the moment I would like to work on my base and putting k's into my legs but there is so much conflicting stuff out there.

For example they say to ride at 65-80 mhr for ages to build aerobic endurance yet I also read that it would also be good to incorporate hills into this base buildup which for me will throw my mhr near 90.

I have borrowed and flicked through the cyclists training bible but found it was more aimed at already competitive cyclists and while I'm at this level I just need to be force fed a programme til I learn what it's all about.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 pm

ozstriker wrote:While I definitely agree that getting a coach and customized programme will ultimately work best it's sort of out of my price range at the moment.
how much have you spent on your bike and accessories?
my point being, people are happy to go and spend $3000+ on a new bike, or $2000+ on a new set of wheels 0.25kg ligther than current wheelset, so they can go a bit faster.
and yet, they bork at spending up to $500 on dietitians and coaches, who undoubtedly would get better results.
Truth is, someone will ride faster when they get their bodyfat and cardiovascular and strength optimized.

my view is don't think that you cannot afford a top personal coach and dietitian. think of it as an investment in ensuring you reach your full potential, for the rest of your life. The lessons you learn from both will be something you can use into old age.

in fact, better to think, can I not afford to be eating the best nutrition and ensuring every hour I spend on my bike enhances my health optimally.

Finally, I have read enough of Alex's posts (on multiple forums) to be confident he is better informed about bike coaching than 99% of other web resources.

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 am

Totally agree.

However when I say I can't afford it I actually can't afford it hence why I'm riding around on a cell victor I couldn't afford the brand tax but still wanted good running gear.

I wish I had $2000 to throw away on wheels.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:27 am

ozstriker - taking a longer term view in the subject and going somewhat with what PawPaw said.

You might try rather than looking for a "programme" as such to start to grow your own knowledge on the subjects of training, nutrition etc etc...

Start getting some good books on cycling training & nutrition even general fitness, if can afford one grab yourself a heart rate monitor and start working it as a training tool.

Yes you get a lot of advice and knowledge from dropping big dollars on professional advice but for the rest of us books from good authors are also a very valuable source of information.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:14 pm

ozstriker wrote:While I definitely agree that getting a coach and customized programme will ultimately work best it's sort of out of my price range at the moment.

Especially considering my level at the moment (definitely on the side of beginner) in more after a fairly broad programme or book that can give me direction. Like for example at the moment I would like to work on my base and putting k's into my legs but there is so much conflicting stuff out there.

For example they say to ride at 65-80 mhr for ages to build aerobic endurance yet I also read that it would also be good to incorporate hills into this base buildup which for me will throw my mhr near 90.

I have borrowed and flicked through the cyclists training bible but found it was more aimed at already competitive cyclists and while I'm at this level I just need to be force fed a programme til I learn what it's all about.
My plans work out to be $8.33 per week for a 12 week plan. Beginner level is catered for.

I've tried to provide really good value, but that's about as far as I can take it considering it also provides some level of customisation, dedicated online access and ability to have contact with an experienced coach for the occasional question.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Hey that is actually really good value Alex - just don't buy two or three coffees a week or make your lunch twice instead of buying and you got yourself a training program.

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

My plans work out to be $8.33 per week for a 12 week plan. Beginner level is catered for.

I've tried to provide really good value, but that's about as far as I can take it considering it also provides some level of customisation, dedicated online access and ability to have contact with an experienced coach for the occasional question.
$8 a week i could definitely do, the link you put said the cheapest was $160 a month which is a bit out of my league.

Where do i sign :D

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 pm

oh wait i just found it