NOOSA EROICA 2- 2012

singlespeedscott

Re: NOOSA EROICA 2- 2012

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm

What a great ride. Perfect SEQ winter weather. Great company and awesome bikes. Faster than last year too.

Thank you very much to all involved in the organization of this great event.

Note to self - don't park in the boat trailer parking area at the ramp. Cost me $75 for the privilege. Doh.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Well done Andy & your band of helpers, first time on gravel, funny at the end of the day the gravel seems normal!!!!!!!
I'm sure from humble beginnings this is going to be a huge event :D
To the mountain men on your single speeds, I take my hat off to you :wink:
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:15 pm

And great to put a face to the names on the forum. Had a great day, cramps aside, riding with all you like minded people. Thanks.
Tony (sky blue Berretto)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 pm

What a day! Beautiful weather (with the exception of that horrible cold headwind on the run back into Noosa) and such a good turnout! I'm still drooling at the thought of that Holdsworth, and does anyone know who was in Pomona with a Pashley Guvnor? I saw it outside the newsagents but wasn't able to find the rider to have a chat.

The strade bianche segments were in great shape this year, and i was amazed at how few punctures were had (although we did actually have 3 mechanicals inside the first kilometre!). Things got strung out a bit in the latter half which was a pity, and then there was that headwind, which saw my brother (on the black Peugeot) and i (among others) suffering like dogs at very low speed on the way into Tewantin. My previously faultless Mercier gave me some trouble, probably expressing her unhappiness at the lack of chain lube. My brother's Peugeot also needed some tweaking, but for a first ride after being restored it was nothing too ridiculous.

Huge thanks to the lady in the sag wagon (Leigh?) who gave me some lollies a few k's from the finish which were an absolute godsend, i felt so much better (for a few minutes at least!).

It was fantastic to finally meet so many people from the forum, koen with his beautiful Healing, munga with his infamous Repco Vertex, vaeske on his very cool Van Werkhoven (sorry i didn't get a chance to have a chat about it) and a fair few more i can't think of in my exhausted state. I reckon for next year we should bring along some name badges (I am ldrcycles, munga, mustang etc).

Got some nice pics which i should have up soon.

A lot of respect for Ron (wearing the blue woolen "L'Eroica Down Under" jersey) who did the ride on his gold Higgins/Wiggins? with some pretty restricted gearing and put in a huge effort for someone his age (which i don't know exactly but would be reasonably advanced).

Can't wait for the next one :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

harcs

Postby harcs » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 pm

What a great event. My first exposure to vintage bicycles on mass. Great group, good ride but found the dirt uphill sections a bit tough with the high first gear. It was the first ride of my bike after a complete restoration and now the rims don't look dark red on the sides anymore, they are rubber black. My son, on a 1958 Malvern Star Roadster and I chose to ride on to Cooroy for coffee on the Saturday ride. We both had Garmin computers on board and hit 72 kph on the run back to Noosa. Not bad for a 54 and 72 year old bikes. My bike is a 1940 Malvern Star 3 Star "Oppy Racer" originally bought for 15 pound 19 shillings and 6 pence on the 17/12/1940. It cost me a lot more to restore it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Absolutely gorgeous bike there mate, and to have such a history for it as well! 72 down tinbeerwah on that is a very solid effort, respect. 8)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Got some pics up of the weekend.

My girlfriend (now fiancee :D ) and i at the show. It would be great to arrange a tweed ride sometime, just something gentle around Noosa, maybe from the Marina to Munna Point and back, neither of these bikes would handle anything more strenuous, but it was an absolute hoot to dress up and get into the spirit of it.

From left to right, Tony aka redrover3, Scott aka servicimo, and my brother Warwick, making their way up the final stretch of the Shadbolt Rd climb.

Warwick drafting the bloke with the Tomassini fixie (his name escapes me at the moment), just down from Granshaw's Gap, beautiful spot.

michaelweare

Postby michaelweare » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:06 am

Well was great to get along and meet some people who love their bikes and love to ride them. The Saturday Show-and-shine was great and good to see a lot of well loved bikes...really gives inspiration.

The Sunday ride was through beautiful scenery and I was having a ball, but unfortunately the halfway point was about as far as I was going to get to. The day was cut short due to me accidentally straying in front of my one my teammates (Andrew) and us both having our bikes unrideable...the end result 8 broken spokes and an unfixabled front wheel on Andrew's Gitane, and a bent frame hanger (about 45% out) and buckled rear wheel on my Rapallo. :( Very lucky we didn't come off. :)

A big thanks to Leigh in the sag wagon for the ride (and lollies) to Kin Kin (where our wives met us). We still got to see the beautiful scenery and action from the back.

We'll definitely be back next year and can't wait to complete it all.

Thanks to Andy and Chris for all of the hard work you put in to the event...top notch.

PS - now to go and find a replacement 700 Mavic Module E rim for Andrew, possibly a 27x1.25 Araya for mine, and someone who can repair a steel frame hanger without causing too much damage.

Cheers
Michael
Last edited by michaelweare on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 am

Good to meet you all and see such a variety of bikes.
I arrived just in time to catch the start on sunday morning.
Huge thanks to the organizers and the lady driving the support vehicle.
Also thanks to Koen for providing my transport to the event, and also for his heroic efforts on the 1950's Healing.
Until Kin Kin i would describe the route as brilliant, after that it was almost brilliant until Boreen Point.
Then a bit of a slog back to Tewantin, (into a headwind on an open road)

Good to meet a few forumites for the first time, including ldrcycles and Mustang.
I rode with Mustang and singlespeedscott for much of the way after lunch.
Here is a photo for those interested in the technical details-
1988 Repco Vertex with original cranks/ derailleur, running 48/38 chainrings and a 7-speed 13-19 screw on freewheel.

Again thanks to the many persons involved
Thanks also to Uni Cycles St Lucia, Epic Cycles at Milton, John( Bardon Discount Bicycles) and Joe Cosgrove who have all played big roles in bringing this bike back up to speed.
P.S. Munga and Vaeske, sorry mates i could not find you at lunch or after the event- hope you had a good day !
Last edited by elantra on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 am

Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am

dillonp wrote:nice one gordy and graham.

ban munga :wink:
what are we banning munga for? he's a good bloke!

had a ball, even tho i took off with a renegade crew to get home early. still put in 74km and hit 74km/hr on one decent (who knows where) into tewantin.
as per other comments - nice to put a face to the nicknames: servicimo, retroman, red rover, ldrcycles, ssscott, mustang, koen, and others.
i had a few guys come up and say hi just because they recognised the bike, which is pretty cool!
i did walk up one of the strade bianche sections (jampot), but i wasn't alone on that one - they're called pushbikes after all. no shame in walking.
no flats, no mechanicals, no saddlesores, no preparation, no brains, no worries!
cheers to the council for the $75 fine also. mongrels. just because you erect a sign right in front of my carpark does not mean i'm going to read it at 6am when there's so many bikes to look at and people to talk to :)
for the record, noosa backpackers resort was fine, and actually pretty good fun. beds were clean, bathrooms were clean, swedish backpackers playing pool was fun to watch. odi odi odi.

highlights for me were:

1] the swedes at the hostel
2] talking rubbish with vaeske till late into the night
3] crazy descent with funnybike
4] seeing ldrcycles and his bride-to-be posing for photos and saying "come on, it's not a wedding!" and then finding out they just got engaged :oops:
5] $11 burger post-ride *buuurp*
6] watching the tommasini and berretto boys give each other a cyclists handshake as they crested the last climb before the first break at cybils cafe. wish i caught that moment on film. that is what cycling is about for me. mateship.
7] spending about half an hour in the hurt locker on the last leg of our journey, just pushing through the headwind, watching the white line roll on beneath my tyres and blocking out everything else. not so much blocking out, more a case of no room for anything to enter.
8] hearing four bodies groan simultaneously as we sat down for lunch

thanks again to andy and his band of merry men (and women) for organising the event. if i could have had monday off work, i would have tried for the full distance, and slept up at noosa on sunday night.
maybe next year you could try for a saturday event and have the show on the sunday? better to see the bikes covered in dust, sweat, grease, and energy gels (looking at you, Kay) anyway.
Last edited by munga on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:10 pm

One of my kids just saw some of Mustangs piccys and said; "why are all those guys fat?" and "is that a get fit a thon?" Then she looked at me and said: "how come you didn't go Dad, you're as fat as them?" .

Good point............ you little sh#t....... I will next year I think, it looked like a top weekend.

Good on you guys for throwing it together, it'll just get bigger and bigger now.

Noosa + glorious mild winter weather + lotsa bicycles

koen

Postby koen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:10 pm

I was dissapointed there was no one else wearing woollen knicks!
I must admit I was surprised the chamois in mine was still supple as you know how the real leather stuff had a habit of drying out. But I got round without any chafing.
Thankful to be dragged home through the headwind by Ian who has ten years and many pounds on me (so there is hope for you next year Chris!):)

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 pm

absolutely loved the event, started at the back of the group and saw andrew had a puncture as we turned the street. really enjoyed that first mountain climb and that 22% pomona climb was brilliant even though i had the cramp and had to walk it. :/ bigger gear needed for next time. Unfortunately we had to leave early to get back to brissy so did 75kms instead with funnybikes, munga and retroman. but ready to go for next time!

thanks andrew for organising it but great to meet a lot of people on the forum as well! congrats to ldrcycles (aka locky) for getting married! Good to meet rob, and a few others too! look forward to a retro saturday riverloop ride this weekend with some of you!

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Last edited by munga on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 pm

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 pm

munga wrote: hit 74km/hr on one decent (who knows where) into tewantin.
That would be Tinbeerwah hill on Cooroy-Tewantin Rd, i've done 89 down there and i've been told someone managed 115 down there in the Noosa Tri one year

Michaelweare, really good to hear you came out of it alright, from what i heard i'm amazed you didn't both hit the deck. I'll have a look through my supplies, i may have an Araya rim for you, are you after a plain one, or one with the sort of rib down the middle?

Has anyone heard what happened with the bloke who copped a snapped frame near Gentle Annie (the steep winding bitumen descent a couple of k before Kin Kin)? Sounded like a pretty serious failure.

EDIT: love the pics munga!

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:42 pm

straight off the phone so easy on the "don't give up your day job" comments :wink:

michaelweare

Postby michaelweare » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:25 pm

ldrcycles wrote: Michaelweare, really good to hear you came out of it alright, from what i heard i'm amazed you didn't both hit the deck. I'll have a look through my supplies, i may have an Araya rim for you, are you after a plain one, or one with the sort of rib down the middle?

Has anyone heard what happened with the bloke who copped a snapped frame near Gentle Annie (the steep winding bitumen descent a couple of k before Kin Kin)? Sounded like a pretty serious failure.
EDIT: love the pics munga!
Thanks ldr...would have been nasty if we hit the deck. Good thing the bikes locked themselves together otherwise that would have happened. Also a lot of luck. Thanks for the offer if you have a rim...plain araya one is the one.

We stopped in (in the sag wagon) and asked that bloke with his cracked Malvern Star frame if he needed a lift. He said his wife was on the way and he was walking downhill. Frame completely split at the downtube shifters. No idea how that happened. Wouldn't have been pretty had it happened at the wrong time. Was he part of the L'Eroica as we were all asking ourselves as we didn't think we'd seen him on the day.

Cheers
Michael

revelo

Postby revelo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks to Andy and the team for a wonderful weekend.It was great to see all those beautiful bicycles at the show and shine and to help out on the Sunday ride top it off for me.I wish now i had of taken the risk with my back,after seeing the countryside, and riden but after getting home Sunday night i think i made the right decision. Congrats to all of those who made it and those who didn't,its the lining up to have a go that matters. Off to the Doctors today but i will be ready for next year.It was great to meet so many like minded people,i hope to stay in touch via this forum or email me on paul@revelocycles.com.au cheers

morini

Postby morini » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:34 pm

koen wrote: Thankful to be dragged home through the headwind by Ian who has ten years and many pounds on me (so there is hope for you next year Chris!):)

You weren't bludgin were you Owen? I'll be fit enough to hide behind this Ian bloke myself next year. Can we pay his entry fees?

Cheers

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:35 am

Brooks sponsor le eroica
Mabe they may want to do a double down under????
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 am

Just want to add my thanks to the organizers for a great day on Saturday. Really enjoyed the ride, tho given my state of health I was glad I brought the touring bike. The show and shine in the afternoon was amazing. I wasn't expecting anywhere near that many bikes and I got to chat with a couple of Aussie framebuilders. From the cross section of bicycles present it seems that Queenslanders have a weakness for Italian Iron and Campagnolo :wink: Food and drink was excellent too.
It was a long drive (1000k each way) from Newcastle but we are looking forward to next year when Kerry can ride as well and we will do both days.
Cheers
Richard

MarkusG

Postby MarkusG » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 am

We stopped in (in the sag wagon) and asked that bloke with his cracked Malvern Star frame if he needed a lift. He said his wife was on the way and he was walking downhill. Frame completely split at the downtube shifters. No idea how that happened. Wouldn't have been pretty had it happened at the wrong time. Was he part of the L'Eroica as we were all asking ourselves as we didn't think we'd seen him on the day.

Cheers
Michael[/quote]

Hi Michael, he was part of the ride, he's in some of Munga's pics at the start.
I had a talk to him too, probably a few minutes before you guys did (he was slowly walking uphill at that stage). The crack through the downtube near the shifter bosses is almost always a result of the person brazing the shifter bosses sending too much time on that spot, getting it too hot and so heat hardening the Cro-Mo tubing there. It then become brittle and slowly fatigues.
I havn't seen a huge amount of them, but three or four all in the same spot.

Markus

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:21 pm

are you guys talking about this guy with the esky for a helmet?