NOOSA EROICA 2- 2012

RonK

Re: NOOSA EROICA 2- 2012

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Does anyone have a map or description of L'Eroica route?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cotterpin531

Postby cotterpin531 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Big hello to all the riders in this years Eroica. Personally i had another memorable weekend with many new found friendships made and some brilliant cycle related experiences. The entire program including the outstanding Show and Shine on the Marina deck surpassed my expectations , I hope you were suitably impressed also. The introduction of Saturdays Mini Eroica was well received from the feed back I,ve gathered , The course is not too difficult but challenging enough to keep the heart rate well in the upper reaches especially on the way back on the Strade Bianche climbs .Sundays Noosa Eroica route in my opinion is a brilliant mix of country terrain. There has been some feed back regarding the Mc Kinnon Drive return route. Personally i find this section the least interesting of the 115 Klm . The alternative wold be to bypass the township of Lake Cootharaba and ride back through Pomona Via Cootharaba Range Road.Possibly over to Black Mountain Cooroy and home . This would add considerably to the total distance ( 150 _160) and a few more hundred meters of solid climbing .Please feel free to reply as to your suggested route, or any other suggestions that you feel would improve 2013. I do apologise for the tight time frame on Sunday but we were committed to be at Pomona by 8.30 am Due to King Of The Mountain .N ext year we will be rescheduling dates so as not to coincide. Thanks to Lee from Bike On Tours for supporting the tired or broken. On behalf of Andy and myself thanks for attending the 2012 Noosa Eroica and making it such a success. Hope to see you all next year. Cheers Cotterpin.

spinner

Postby spinner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:35 pm

RonK wrote:Does anyone have a map or description of L'Eroica route?
Check out the route map and download the route-notes here;
http://www.noosa-eroica.com.au

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:55 pm

The fact that we broke up after lunch probably caused the last part to be bit of a drag. Certainly the stiff SW made the last 20km tough, as I rode most of it on my own.
Not sure I want too many more tough climbs after we have reached 100km, on an old bike.
I think the route is good as it is, perhaps some leaving times announced after the major stops so everyone can leave together??
A great route & day .
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Definitely keen on a reroute to avoid McKinnon dr. If we were to stretch it out to 150+ km I think you should look at splitting the group into 2 parts to better cater for the varying fitness levels.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 pm

McKinnon Drive isn't the best riding but the big issue on the weekend was that headwind, which you obviously can't do much about.
The route as it stands is pretty solid going, adding any more distance (and especially any more climbs) would be really pushing it for the majority.
I agree with Mustang on the times, i think with the numbers increasing we need something like that to make it easier to keep groups together. After all the social aspect of it is the most important thing.

Article in today's Gympie Times.

Also a few small photos in the sports section of today's Noosa Today, a bunch of photos on their facebook page www.facebook.com.au/noosatoday.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

michaelweare

Postby michaelweare » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 pm

MarkusG wrote:We stopped in (in the sag wagon) and asked that bloke with his cracked Malvern Star frame if he needed a lift. He said his wife was on the way and he was walking downhill. Frame completely split at the downtube shifters. No idea how that happened. Wouldn't have been pretty had it happened at the wrong time. Was he part of the L'Eroica as we were all asking ourselves as we didn't think we'd seen him on the day.

Cheers
Michael
Hi Michael, he was part of the ride, he's in some of Munga's pics at the start.
I had a talk to him too, probably a few minutes before you guys did (he was slowly walking uphill at that stage). The crack through the downtube near the shifter bosses is almost always a result of the person brazing the shifter bosses sending too much time on that spot, getting it too hot and so heat hardening the Cro-Mo tubing there. It then become brittle and slowly fatigues.
I havn't seen a huge amount of them, but three or four all in the same spot.

Markus[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification Markus...
Cheers Michael

michaelweare

Postby michaelweare » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 pm

munga wrote:are you guys talking about this guy with the esky for a helmet?

Think so, although think he must have lost the orange vest by the time we saw him.

MarkusG

Postby MarkusG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 am

michaelweare wrote:
munga wrote:are you guys talking about this guy with the esky for a helmet?

Think so, although think he must have lost the orange vest by the time we saw him.
Sorry that's not him, he had a Banesto team jacket on and a whiteish beard. I just went looking and he was in my shot's, not Munga's.
Too many pics.
Must work out how to upload some pics on here.
I'm already helping someone get a bike together for next year, she was so enthused by the great atmosphere and riding on the 40k, she wants something that will do the 'heroic' ride with ease.

Mark

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:54 am

any bike'll do it with ease. as for the legs pushing it.. 8)

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Any more pictures
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Retro man wrote:Any more pictures
Not from me - could not find room to carry a camera - saddlebag and pockets were full with 2 spare tubes, a few allen keys, a spoke turner, a pump, a few dollars in coin, a little samsung phone and a jar of nutella and a spoon to eat it with.

Next time i will only take one tube and i will take a smaller jar of nutella. :D

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:49 pm

elantra wrote:
Not from me - could not find room to carry a camera - saddlebag and pockets were full with 2 spare tubes, a few allen keys, a spoke turner, a pump, a few dollars in coin, a little samsung phone and a jar of nutella and a spoon to eat it with.

Next time i will only take one tube and i will take a smaller jar of nutella. :D
Man, you need to get one of those lovely big saddle bags that I saw on some guy's bikes. Looked like they could carry enough nutella for a week!

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:52 pm

funnybike wrote:
elantra wrote:

Man, you need to get one of those lovely big saddle bags that I saw on some guy's bikes. Looked like they could carry enough nutella for a week!
I'll be more than happy to carry your food around in my bag!! i'm just use to the feel the crumpler i guess, not sure if its a good or bad thing.

MarkusG

Postby MarkusG » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 pm

funnybike wrote:
elantra wrote:

I think the bag to which you refer, was/is my Carradice "Nelson Longflap" and yes i have camped and commuted and shopped with it. They are very very useful.
(it was on the back of my pink Gilbert Rando styled 650Ber Black wax cotton canvas with white leather straps)

There is always the tempatation to put too much in it too.

mark.

cotterpin531

Postby cotterpin531 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Hre's a link to some photos taken by a newspaper photographer, hope you enjoy! >> http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 507&type=3

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 pm

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia