2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby OldnSlow » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:08 am

Sounds like you guys will cruise the ATB if you are doing 100k's already 3 months out.....Good work.
OldnSlow
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm

by BNA » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 pm

BNA
 

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 pm

I have not been able to ride the last couple of week. Last weekend the wife was away and I was left on my own with the kids this weekend I have the run melbourne 10km so it will be back to it next week.
On the weekend of the 28th & 29th I am planning another double up.
My usual 60km on saturday and then a 145km ride on Sunday. Safe to say I might be a tad sore on the Monday but a 200km weekend is all part of the plan
edit: just been invited to my mates daughter's first birthday on the 29th D'oH :( I will have to find another Sunday to get a leave pass :wink:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby OldnSlow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:11 am

Got up early yesterday, 5am, got the gear on, had brekky, loaded up some winners bars in the back pocket and went out to the garage for my morning ride....FLAT TIRE....that just ticked me off no end...decided to not fix the flat in case I woke anyone in the house (bedroom backs on to garage), the morning was beautiful, had to take No.1 daughter for a driving lesson then fixed flat and decided to head out at 1pm....Rode to Healsville, Yarra Glen and then home...it was cold, it rained, there was Hail, the wind on those country roads just did not abate at all. Finally the sun came out with 5mins to go and go figure stayed out for the next hour after I had finished....I love riding...75kM done and dusted (actually it was too wet for dust, more like mud)

Think I need to avoid some of the back roads I took, Edwards Road is just to narrow for my liking. Might try and head from Yarra Glen to Paton Hill next week, might pack my shoe boots for the ride.
OldnSlow
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:43 pm

OldnSlow wrote:Got up early yesterday, 5am, got the gear on, had brekky, loaded up some winners bars in the back pocket and went out to the garage for my morning ride....FLAT TIRE....that just ticked me off no end...decided to not fix the flat in case I woke anyone in the house (bedroom backs on to garage), the morning was beautiful, had to take No.1 daughter for a driving lesson then fixed flat and decided to head out at 1pm....Rode to Healsville, Yarra Glen and then home...it was cold, it rained, there was Hail, the wind on those country roads just did not abate at all. Finally the sun came out with 5mins to go and go figure stayed out for the next hour after I had finished....I love riding...75kM done and dusted (actually it was too wet for dust, more like mud)

Think I need to avoid some of the back roads I took, Edwards Road is just to narrow for my liking. Might try and head from Yarra Glen to Paton Hill next week, might pack my shoe boots for the ride.


It wasnt a pleasant arvo yesterday. You must be out my way by the looks of your route.

Its back on the bike for me next week, I ran a pb for 10km this morning at 58:47 which is a whole 5:32 faster than last years Run Melbourne, I am very hapy :D but a little sore also :wink:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby OldnSlow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 am

Think you need to change your alias to Yarravalleyspeedstar, I would be happy to run 10km under an hour. grats on the PB
OldnSlow
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 am

OldnSlow wrote:Think you need to change your alias to Yarravalleyspeedstar, I would be happy to run 10km under an hour. grats on the PB


Thanks. The official results came out today and I ran a 58:40 so its 7 seconds better, I am especially pleased as I am still tipping the scales at 110kg.

I am still feeling the effort and my jog this morning was at a more sedate 6:30 pace but all I can think about is the weekend and getting back on the bike. I have missed it the last 2 weeks
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:45 am

Hi all...very seriously thinking about attempting ATBD this year, never done before, would be looking at the 210km option (clockwise, as the other direction appears to be sold out). I'm comfortable riding distances up to about 80km currently, probably averaging around the 25km/h mark for flat rides, and definitely keen to ensure I put in at least 200km a week every week from now until the event. But I haven't had any luck finding anyone to train with, which would definitely be a huge plus. If there's anyone on here that has or knows of any teams willing to take on new members at this late stage, that'd be great. I'm in Hawthorn but happy to ride pretty much anywhere.

Thanks!

Dylan
wizdofaus
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am
Location: Kensington, Melbourne, VIC

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 pm

wizdofaus wrote:Hi all...very seriously thinking about attempting ATBD this year, never done before, would be looking at the 210km option (clockwise, as the other direction appears to be sold out). I'm comfortable riding distances up to about 80km currently, probably averaging around the 25km/h mark for flat rides, and definitely keen to ensure I put in at least 200km a week every week from now until the event. But I haven't had any luck finding anyone to train with, which would definitely be a huge plus. If there's anyone on here that has or knows of any teams willing to take on new members at this late stage, that'd be great. I'm in Hawthorn but happy to ride pretty much anywhere.

Thanks!

Dylan


THIS would be your local cycling club.
Perhaps contact them and I'm sure they'd be happy to pickup another member...this way you'll have plenty of people to ride and train with.

I just recently joined my local club - cost was $77 to join Cycling Australia (as a Silver Ride member) and you affiliate yourself to your club of choice (usually your local club)...but the HCC will be able to give you all the info you need.
One benefit of joining CyclingAus is that you get 24/7 cycling insurance (should you get injured whilst riding).
THIS might be interesting reading for you.


And good luck with the training for the ATB.
I am attempting my first ATB this year as well (210km) and the more km's we can get into our legs beforehand, the better we'll cope on the day.
Also, on the longer rides don't forget to plan your nutrition/hydration and test these on your training rides so you know what works for you and at what intervals you need to eat and drink to keep your energy levels up.

And please post your progress. I'm sure we can all encourage and keep each other going over the next few months in our training and preparation - and bounce ideas, suggestions etc off each other.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby clackers » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am

DoogleDave wrote:I am attempting my first ATB this year as well (210km)


Same here ... see you guys in the back of the Sag Wagon! :-P
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby benam80 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Is the reverse (Melbourne - Sorrento - (ferry) - Queenscliff - Melbourne) really that bad?? seems people try to avoid it. This would be first one so no exerience to draw a guess from.
Ridley x-Fire 2012
benam80
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:01 am

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby chucknitro » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm

benam80 wrote:Is the reverse (Melbourne - Sorrento - (ferry) - Queenscliff - Melbourne) really that bad?? seems people try to avoid it. This would be first one so no exerience to draw a guess from.


No, it's not that bad! Did it once and had a great tailwind home. But, still prefer anti-clockwise.
2013 Scott CR1 Premium - Ultegra Di2 compact.
User avatar
chucknitro
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Yeah I've contacted Hawthorn Cycling club, haven't heard back yet, might have to call them.
I did find a couple of local bunch rides to join, so that should be good. But I'm still only 75% sure I'm actually going to sign up at this point...
wizdofaus
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am
Location: Kensington, Melbourne, VIC

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:16 pm

well I have a big weekend planned

my usual 62km saturday ride with 380m of climbing and then I will ride from my place out east to eltham........ via edithvale and the city. All up 117km :shock: so close to 180km for the weekend which should be a great build up for the 250km ABD

I dare say the legs will be sore on Monday :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 pm

wizdofaus wrote:Yeah I've contacted Hawthorn Cycling club, haven't heard back yet, might have to call them.
I did find a couple of local bunch rides to join, so that should be good. But I'm still only 75% sure I'm actually going to sign up at this point...


You'll love it. From what you've said, you can manage the distance. Making the commitment will get you out on the bike more often and you will get km into the legs.

Last year the clockwise option had 35kmh tail wind in from geelong. We struggled into it that morning (going anti) and that night was discussing it with another guy who went clockwise - he was cruising at 45kmh all the way home.

It's one of those things you cant predict!
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby cjawnik » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:03 pm

In my opinion for the ATB it's kilometers in the arse that matter more than kilometers in the legs.
cjawnik
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:59 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby David_G » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm

I've signed up for the 210km, anticlockwise.
I rode in the BUPA challenge at the TDU in January and there was a couple of food/drink stops and a few toilet stops which were all quite well patronised.
Is there refreshment stops along the way around our Bay?
If not I'll take a backpack, but the less I start my journey with will be better for me.
I just love riding my bike!
User avatar
David_G
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Frankston Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi Dave,
rest stops every 25km. first time we did it we made the mistake of stopping at every single one (almost) as we weren't sure how we would go and were trying to pace ourselves-didn't need them all!

Good luck with preps, see you on the road.
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby David_G » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks for that tip, it'll make it a bit easier not having to take to much stuff.
I usually ride 60km around to Black Rock and back so we might stop at every other one.
I'm riding with my Brother in Law and he's stronger than me so we can use the stops as rendezvous points.
I'll be easy to recognise as I'll be the bloke with the blue jersey on!
I just love riding my bike!
User avatar
David_G
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Frankston Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby adrian_d » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:14 am

Hey all,
I am looking at joining the 100km ride but I only have a Triathlon bike with aero bars. I couldn't see any restrictions on the terms and conditions except that it had to be a standard bicycle.

I was joining to help to try to make a difference and raise some money.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby clackers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:43 am

adrian_d wrote:Hey all,
I am looking at joining the 100km ride but I only have a Triathlon bike with aero bars. I couldn't see any restrictions on the terms and conditions except that it had to be a standard bicycle.


I did that one last year, Adrian.

All kinds of bikes ... twins on unicycles, recumbents, and I was passed by three guys on a tandem thing that was blaring dub music!

Your ride may not be eccentric enough! ;-)
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby adrian_d » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:13 pm

clackers wrote:
adrian_d wrote:Hey all,
I am looking at joining the 100km ride but I only have a Triathlon bike with aero bars. I couldn't see any restrictions on the terms and conditions except that it had to be a standard bicycle.


I did that one last year, Adrian.

All kinds of bikes ... twins on unicycles, recumbents, and I was passed by three guys on a tandem thing that was blaring dub music!

Your ride may not be eccentric enough! ;-)


Thanks for that mate. I may have to add 2 sets of arm rests to really shake things up a bit and be unique haha.

I'm wondering if it would be strange to use a TT helmet for the event? It would match in well with my TT bike haha
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby misterhorsey » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:21 pm

It would be awesome!
misterhorsey
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Northcote

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby adrian_d » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 pm

To run Disc Wheel and 3 spoke or not to run that is the question lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:22 pm

well my big weekend has been scuttled by the weather :cry:

I did my 62km yesterday in the rain and experimented with my food, by not having any. Well that was a mistake as the last 20km was hard work, especially being wet and increasingly cold. My times blew out and I know I am a bit slower in the rain but there was no drive in the legs, so moral of the story, stick to having the gel after an hour :D

So I cleaned the bike yesterday, got my food and drink together and washed and dried my kit for today but after looking at the forecast, the radar and outside my window decided 5 odd hours riding to a mates place where I would be attending a 1st birthday soaking wet wasnt my idea of fun so I gave it a miss.

I am now trying to negotiate another sunday leave pass with the boss in the next few weeks to make up for it :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby David_G » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:45 pm

I find the earlier you get out the harder it is at the start, but there's less chance of procrastinating.
Alarm rings, get up, shower, get into riding gear and get pedalling.
If it's early enough permission is assured as you'l likely be back before normal weekend things have got going.
I also like to do my bike prep the night before and that gives me less time to think about how cold it might be.
I just love riding my bike!
User avatar
David_G
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Frankston Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter