M7 Safety Alert Thread

Chuck

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Chuck » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:10 am

zozza wrote:BTW regarding yesterday's Truck accident, I noticed on the news footage that the truck was similar to the ones in
the last two serious accidents involving Trucks.
You mean it was a Truck that looked like a Truck :shock:

:P
FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Postby zozza » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:26 am

Chuck wrote:
zozza wrote:BTW regarding yesterday's Truck accident, I noticed on the news footage that the truck was similar to the ones in
the last two serious accidents involving Trucks.
You mean it was a Truck that looked like a Truck :shock:

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Wayfarer wrote: Is there anyone on this website who can, or knows of somebody who can corner on the M7 at 30km/h? I sure don't.
i think i could take 95% of the M7 corners at 30+ and stay on my side of the lane (as long as its dry and no gravel/dirt/mud on corner) but i am awesome :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:01 pm

brasstinman wrote:Do the road rules say a bicycle must have speedo? I thought a bell and at last one working brake was all that was required as a minimum apart from a helmet.
How are you supposed to know your speed limit when you don't have a speedo? I don't have one on my commuter, should I not be allowed to ride the shared paths unless I spend the coin on a speedo?
Just a side thought; to pass the motorbike 'stay upright' course, you have to do the test with duct tape over the speedo. And if you speed, they deduct points from your final mark, as you're supposed to figure what speed you're at by the gear you're in, how fast things are moving, and how loud the bike is ;) Focus a bit on your gearing next time you're on your bicyle; I know when I'm on the 3rd one in the back pedalling what feels like 90rpm (after years of doing dvd's and riding at 90rpm) , it's roughly 30km/h.
What are these salesmen peddling?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:32 pm

leximack wrote:
Wayfarer wrote: Is there anyone on this website who can, or knows of somebody who can corner on the M7 at 30km/h? I sure don't.
i think i could take 95% of the M7 corners at 30+ and stay on my side of the lane (as long as its dry and no gravel/dirt/mud on corner) but i am awesome :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, and you don't have to worry about anyone straying onto your side of the lane because every other M7 cyclist is even more awesome especially when there is water, gravel, dirt or mud :wink: That's why I love riding the M7 cycleway.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Sinny

Postby Sinny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:04 am

biker jk wrote:It is kind of strange that Westlink is focussing on a few accidents on the shared path as justification for trying to impose a speed limit when just about every second day we have a truck overturning on the M7 motorway, usually due to dangerous driving (i.e. speeding).
And that's why the Police HWP do regular speed checks/traps on the M7 motorway to catch said dangerous drivers using both marked and unmarked patrol cars, though apart from having a Police officer sitting in the cab next to the driver of a tipper/dog combination you wont get those lunatics to slow down. They therefore must think with the increase in accidents on the shared path and/or complaints from users of dangerous riding behaviour that it warrants a similar action or measures of response. Don't forget that a speed sign is one measure to avoid or reduce the success of civil litigation against the motorway aswell as evidence to show that Police patrol the shared path.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 am

Don't forget that a speed sign is one measure to avoid or reduce the success of civil litigation against the motorway aswell as evidence to show that Police patrol the shared path.
How is a speed sign evidence that Police Patrol the shared path??

I am aware they patrol sometimes during school holidays, when tasked by their local area command, but the mere prescence of a sign does not indicate regular patrolling.Further to that, enforcement is another matter.
I imagine the Police officer when tasked to protect the community/patrol the M7, willbe blissfully happy when told to target henous cyclists possibly exceeding the speed on the M7 Cycleway!!!!! It's not going to happen.

Just an arse covering excersize.

zozza

Postby zozza » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm

TimW wrote: The Police officer tasked to protect the community/patrol the M7, willbe blissfully happy when told to target a henous cyclist. possibly exceeding the speed on the M7 Cycleway!!!!!
Why would the Police want to target Chuck??

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

zozza wrote:
TimW wrote: The Police officer tasked to protect the community/patrol the M7, willbe blissfully happy when told to target a henous cyclist. possibly exceeding the speed on the M7 Cycleway!!!!!
:lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm

zozza wrote: Why would the Police want to target Chuck??
Yeah, why

:)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:38 pm

zozza wrote:
Don't worry zozz, speed limit is 30. Chucky is safe :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D :D

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:28 am

wombatK wrote:
zozza wrote: Why would the Police want to target Chuck??
Yeah, why

:)
I'll have to reset my photobucket password :o
FPR Ragamuffin

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 pm

leximack wrote:
Shh! The non-cycling morons may be reading, and change their minds :D From what I've seen (by looking up your anse end drafting after bonking before starting that one race..) you corner like a motorbiker, properly leaning your body and bike. most people just lean to one side instead of actually turning the handlebars and expect to corner properly.. if that makes any sense (as I'm sure all of my posts usually do)

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 am

by looking up your anse
When i ride with Don, i blatantly refuse to look up his anse :shock: :shock:

gauchoracer

Postby gauchoracer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Greetings fellow M7 Shared Pathway travelers,
In the interests of Sharing, the M7 Shared Path will be closed on Sunday 29 Jul for the Cities Marathon...
I know most of you would have seen the signs already, but just a reminder for any who may have been planning a early ride for Sunday...
P.S. Re the distance markings on the path mentioned earlier, (previous page) before the resurfacing work, I was told that they are for the runners when they do the Cities Marathon mentioned above... I don't think it has anything to do with having emergency services finding you easier. It would make it easier to know the nearest cross street.
Rules to be obeyed;
Rule Number 1.
Rule Number 2, If in doubt, Refer to Rule Number 1...
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :P
Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:23 pm

(AT) Leximack I don't think we've met but possibly crossed paths on the track somewhere, I'm sure YOU and a few guys would have no issue taking the corners at 30kmh+, some clown on Thursday night coming south at the underpass near Primo forced me into the mud which tested my balance for sure!! Btw when I was coming home today I got talking to a bloke who reckoned there was a nasty stack at the m7/m4 junction requiring ambo's, anyone got details?

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Yes, it was a husband teaching his wife to cycle, and she was very nervous. She clipped his back wheel and went down and broke her jaw. The guy i was meeting to ride with stopped and helped them, when i met my mate it was all over but the ambo was still there.Tim

edit. it was approx 300 metres north of the junction mentioned.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Poor guys, just hope theyre both ok. Great bunch of guys on the track always willing to help.

Tony6463

Postby Tony6463 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 am

Hi all,

Question! Is there somewhere to park at the M5 end of the M7 to then be able to ride the M7 cycle path? I would be coming from Holsworthy and don't fancy fighting the morning M5 traffic on teh bike to get to the cycleway, particularly where it turns off to the Hume. Or any other options also greatly appreciated.

Cheers

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Tony, Park at the Prestons Mcdonalds, car park or the park over the road, the start of the cycleway is near there. Prestons Maccas is on Camden Valley way.Tim

Map

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/ ... xt_002.pdf

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 pm

TimW wrote:
by looking up your anse
When i ride with Don, i blatantly refuse to look up his anse :shock: :shock:
isnt that what drafting's all about? :wink:
Tony6463 wrote:Hi all,

Question! Is there somewhere to park at the M5 end of the M7 to then be able to ride the M7 cycle path? I would be coming from Holsworthy and don't fancy fighting the morning M5 traffic on teh bike to get to the cycleway, particularly where it turns off to the Hume. Or any other options also greatly appreciated.

Cheers
I live in Holsworthy too, no troubles over the hume, there's a bike path from the lake all the way down anzac road, then just ride on the road (moorebank ave) for about 200m to get on the M5 breakdown lane on the bridge. Once you get on the M5, there's a fenced off bike lane all the way to the hume highway turnoff, then just jump two lanes of traffic, ride to the M7. We do it every saturday morning at 7.30, if you want to join us one time. If you can't find parking at mcdonalds, there's a soccer field about 50 meters behind it (after the round about) you can park at.

Tony6463

Postby Tony6463 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:06 pm

TimW wrote:Tony, Park at the Prestons Mcdonalds, car park or the park over the road, the start of the cycleway is near there. Prestons Maccas is on Camden Valley way.Tim

Map

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/ ... xt_002.pdf

Thanks for that Tim, fantstic. I will have to check it out.

Tony6463

Postby Tony6463 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Tony6463 wrote:Hi all,

Cheers
I live in Holsworthy too, no troubles over the hume, there's a bike path from the lake all the way down anzac road, then just ride on the road (moorebank ave) for about 200m to get on the M5 breakdown lane on the bridge. Once you get on the M5, there's a fenced off bike lane all the way to the hume highway turnoff, then just jump two lanes of traffic, ride to the M7. We do it every saturday morning at 7.30, if you want to join us one time. If you can't find parking at mcdonalds, there's a soccer field about 50 meters behind it (after the round about) you can park at.[/quote]

Hey Wayfarer, Thanks for that. I work at Holsworthy but live in Cronulla. I will have a look at that route as well as the parking. Once the weather warms up a bit more I will look at riding to work but in the interum I am looking for a good place to ride out this way. The M7 looks good and can do it from work either way, park and ride or just ride. Will give the Saturday mornings a miss, due to living in Cronulla, but thanks for the invite. Never know, might take you up on it one day.

Cheers

Tony

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:25 pm

I saw a Brown snake crossing the path this afternoon, Prestons end near Kurrajong Rd. This sucker was big :shock:
FPR Ragamuffin

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:31 pm

One of the guys i rode with this morning, Ed, ran over a black yesterday and saw another within a k of the first,around Rooty Hill :shock: :shock: going to be a bad season i think if they are out this early :shock: