Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Be1

Re: Best strong Climbing wheelset at reasonable price

Postby Be1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm

PawPaw wrote:
__PG__ wrote:
PawPaw wrote:If I did a lot of climbing I·d be reticent to use carbon rims.
Agree. Braking on carbon rims on the way down is an issue. I wonder what the pros use on the big days in the Pyrenees and Alps?
very few (<10-15%) looked to be using carbon on the hills. most (>85%) did on the flatter stages.
Wtaching the Pyrenees and Alps stages I didn't see any alloy wheels nor could I find any in cyclingnews photo galleries so I highly doubt there were double digit percentages of riders using alloy wheels in any stage.
I personally use my carbon tubulars on hilly rides because I prefer the braking (with a good pad) and security of a tubular tyre but YMMV.

To OP's question I think something like a fulcrum racing 1 fit the bill and can be found pretty cheaply online.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:33 am

Bit off topic but do Pro-Lite sponsor this forum or something? The spamming of every wheel thread on here is incredible.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Be1 wrote:Wtaching the Pyrenees and Alps stages I didn't see any alloy wheels nor could I find any in cyclingnews photo galleries so I highly doubt there were double digit percentages of riders using alloy wheels in any stage.
I personally use my carbon tubulars on hilly rides because I prefer the braking (with a good pad) and security of a tubular tyre but YMMV.
I noted there were mostly very low to low section wheels in the hills. Maybe they were mainly carbon.
Anyway, most recreational riders will be heavier than TdF riders, WILL ride the brakes, and expect the wheels to last a lot longer.
At least one hilly US ride bans carbon wheelsets after several have delaminated or otherwise failed and caused accidents.

edit: meant recreational riders will ride the brakes more than pros.
Last edited by PawPaw on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm

In the tour the pros would all be on carbon tubulars... Everywhere.

I saw one very bad accident in the Pyrenees and one very near one... Due to people blowing up their clincher tyres too hard on long descents. The bad one was on a hot day on the Tourmalet and the guy was lucky to be out of hospital with in 24 hours after his front tyre exploded. The 2nd was on the Port de Bales on a freezing cold descent through the clouds. I also saw about 3 others on that day carrying bikes with shredded tires... Simple reminder - don't put over 100psi in your clincher tyre when you are in the big mountains.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:17 pm

danny the boy wrote:Bit off topic but do Pro-Lite sponsor this forum or something? The spamming of every wheel thread on here is incredible.
If someone asks a question and we have a product that maybe of interest we make people aware of that product. If you're not interested, you are under no pressure to purchase :-)

We do support the forum by way of advertising and at times competition prize contributions.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:48 pm

toolonglegs wrote:In the tour the pros would all be on carbon tubulars... Everywhere.

I saw one very bad accident in the Pyrenees and one very near one... Due to people blowing up their clincher tyres too hard on long descents. The bad one was on a hot day on the Tourmalet and the guy was lucky to be out of hospital with in 24 hours after his front tyre exploded. The 2nd was on the Port de Bales on a freezing cold descent through the clouds. I also saw about 3 others on that day carrying bikes with shredded tires... Simple reminder - don't put over 100psi in your clincher tyre when you are in the big mountains.
Were they carbon clinchers? I have descended Mont Ventoux, Alpe d'Huez, Col de La Madeleine, etc. with alloy clinchers and over 100psi in the tyres with no problems. I wouldn't been going above 120psi, mind you. I use 105psi in the front and 110psi in the rear.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

biker jk wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:In the tour the pros would all be on carbon tubulars... Everywhere.

Were they carbon clinchers? I have descended Mont Ventoux, Alpe d'Huez, Col de La Madeleine, etc. with alloy clinchers and over 100psi in the tyres with no problems. I wouldn't been going above 120psi, mind you. I use 105psi in the front and 110psi in the rear.
The ones I saw were alloy clinchers... it is a pretty common thing. I have never had problems either... I am not heavy on the brakes even though I am pretty heavy myself.A lot of people are heavy on the brakes and drag them all the way down especially when roads are busy or conditions aren't great. It is just a good general rule I tell people as some really don't have a clue.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:21 pm

danny the boy wrote:Bit off topic but do Pro-Lite sponsor this forum or something? The spamming of every wheel thread on here is incredible.
danny, I understand your motivation to pose the question, but Pro-Lite have had a lot of positive feedback from forumites, and Jack has given reasonably good info in his posts. Yeah he plugs his product when someone blatantly asks for recommendations. But based on the high number of positive testimonials he's had on the forum, I think he's earned his stripes. BTW, I've never tried his products, though can confirm Bracciano wheelset specs are a lot cheaper than similarly specc'd OEM wheelsets.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

For consistent wheel thread spamming I better get my plug in for Greg at TWE although I think Jacks and Pro- lite would be the answer here.

I do like those hubs mate :-)
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 pm

steve-waters wrote:For consistent wheel thread spamming I better get my plug in for Greg at TWE although I think Jacks and Pro- lite would be the answer here.

I do like those hubs mate :-)
Still waiting for your order Steve :-)

When it gets too cold for you down there, come up to QLD and I'll let you test ride a few sets and we'll convert you :mrgreen:
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Pedal-Pusha

Postby Pedal-Pusha » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Campagnolo SHAMAL or the very best Campagnolo Hyperon
nothing comes close

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 pm

People XYZ are going to tell you that Wheel X is the best, whilst people ABC will tell you to get wheel D. These days I'd say its very hard to buy a bad wheelset from a major manufacture. Just go with the finish/price you like. Also ignore the quoted weights because I have never seen a wheel (from a big manufacturer) that has actually hit them (they are usually within 15% though). I'd personally go for a custom build with some lightweight rims (ie XR-200), Laser/CX-Ray spokes and some BHS hubs (depending on budget). But that is MY OPINION. From the "big-names" Shimano RS80's, Fulcrum racing 3's, Pro-Lite Bracciano's and Mavic Ksyrium Elite's are all solid options. Bicycle wheel warehouse isn't the biggest name here but they are pretty good quality and get rave reviews. Their Blackset race is worth a look, 1400g is among the lightest I've found for $600. Your weight can also be a deciding factor, if you are a 50kg mountain goat I'd be going custom with some ridiculously light rims and ridiculously low counts (if you can find a decent builder).
themerlin wrote:
antipodean wrote:With a 12 month warranty why not try these.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/edge- ... /WWS-XR200
Has anyone tried these ?
The rims, spokes and hubs are decent, don't know about the workmanship though... from the other products I've bought from them I'd say it should hold up no problems

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Just picked up some Campagnolo Zonda's from Wiggle for $340. Heard some rave reviews and a mate swears by them. Apparently they are the equivalent of Fulcrum Racing 3's which I haven't seen anywhere near this price. Now the waiting game.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:11 am

I've also just picked up some Zondas from wiggle, after 150km or so this week I'm loving them. Significantly stiffer than my stock RS10 wheels leading to climbing being a lot more responsive.

At under $400 for wheels that are rated up to 109kg that look as hot as they do... Can't go wrong.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Just picked up some Ksyrium Equipe from wiggle for about $360 inc postage.
My reward for getting the weight down and loosing the "fat boy" wheels :)

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:37 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:I've also just picked up some Zondas from wiggle, after 150km or so this week I'm loving them. Significantly stiffer than my stock RS10 wheels leading to climbing being a lot more responsive.

At under $400 for wheels that are rated up to 109kg that look as hot as they do... Can't go wrong.
they look so nice, I might change my order :)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm

I bought a set of Dura Ace c24 wheels from c r c and they arrived in a very squished box. When I put them into my truing stand I was very disappointed that both wheels are slightly buckled. c r c have been good and they will replace them and include free return shipping.

I am wondering if I would be better off with a less expensive wheelset that I don't have to be worried about damaging. Either these wheels are very fragile or the box was bashed really hard in transit.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:15 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:At under $400 for wheels that are rated up to 109kg that look as hot as they do... Can't go wrong.
until you break a spoke or hub. all very proprietary I am afraid.
ball bearing wrote:Either these wheels are very fragile or the box was bashed really hard in transit.
there's enough positive feedback for them. the squished box says it all.

Dan53

Postby Dan53 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Campagnolo Neutrons or Neutron Ultras +1!

Otherwise a set of Novatec hubs (off ebay) and custom built to the new Stans 350 rim should be cheap and fairly built proof. I've used the Stans Alpha 340 tubeless for a while and zero probelems!

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:16 pm

ball bearing wrote:Either these wheels are very fragile or the box was bashed really hard in transit.
there's enough positive feedback for them. the squished box says it all.[/quote]

There does seem to be plenty of happy Shimano customers. I'd have a go to truing these wheels if I was sure there is no hidden damage. Waiting another month to get replacements is a drag, although it has been raining heaps here and maybe late August will be better riding weather.

Dan53

Postby Dan53 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Shimano C24 rims are extremely thin-walled and tend to buckle easily in my experience. I have a good mate (68kg and by no means a powerful guy) blow his rim out after less than a year. He replaced them with the RS80 which I think ironically uses the same rim.

But I'm sure there are plenty of people who've had little or no problems.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Dan53 wrote:Shimano C24 rims are extremely thin-walled and tend to buckle easily in my experience. I have a good mate (68kg and by no means a powerful guy) blow his rim out after less than a year. He replaced them with the RS80 which I think ironically uses the same rim.

Wow! Maybe I will look at other options. I have a friend who owns a bike shop and he says to stay away from a wheel with non-standard spokes (I do own 3 sets of Fulcrum wheels). What sort of support does Shimano offer on their wheels that have been superseded by a new model?

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:34 pm

themerlin wrote:Just picked up some Ksyrium Equipe from wiggle for about $360 inc postage.
My reward for getting the weight down and loosing the "fat boy" wheels :)
I just replace my Ksyrium Equipped with Pro lite Braccianos.

The Ksyriums have performed well over the past 16500km. The wheels have remained true over varying road surfaces. However the free hub bush is worn out.

The Prolites are streets ahead. To my inexpert eye they appear better engineered and built. Needle bearings instead of a nylon bush must be better. The Pro lites are significantly lighter and roll far better than the Mavics too. If I had more power to transfer I could judge power transfer too.

Time will tell how they last. I have only covered about 1000km so far.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Dan53 wrote:Shimano C24 rims are extremely thin-walled and tend to buckle easily in my experience. I have a good mate (68kg and by no means a powerful guy) blow his rim out after less than a year. He replaced them with the RS80 which I think ironically uses the same rim.

Just out of curiosity, what did your mate hit to buckle the rim? I know of around half a dozen riders who have the Shimano C24 rims and the rim certainly doesn't "buckle easily".

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:59 pm

More spam here - done about 5000km on the pro lite braciannos and I'm very happy with them , they are light and bomb proof... Excellent value for the $$