Four in one day

MREJ

Four in one day

Postby MREJ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 pm

I had a bad day yesterday. Riding to work through Concord, I was a hit by a car which failed to give way at a roundabout.

Result: 2 hours in hospital getting patched up and checked, fortunately with no long-lasting damage, and my 3 month old bike written off.

While I was in hospital, the nurses told me I was the 4th cyclist that morning! I talked to one, Albert, who had blown a tyre on the way to LACC training - where I had been earlier. He had broken his collarbone.

I'm not sure about the other two.

Be careful out there people!
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

ni78ck

Re: Four in one day

Postby ni78ck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:55 pm

wish you a speedy recovery. hope your out there again soon!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 pm

what did your driver say?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Bugger about your scoot, but glad to hear you are not seriously damaged.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

The driver, a nurse on her way to work, stopped and came back. She was upset and very apologetic.

I was stunned of course. 3 painters who were working nearby came over and helped me to get to the verge and sit down, then they called an ambulance. The driver also appeared pretty quickly and stayed with me until the ambulance came, and swapped details. She called the police too.

The ambulance arrived before the police. I got a call from the police just before leaving the hospital, and went down to make a statement. Now I'm waiting to hear from them as to who they determine is at fault. As far as I can tell, it should be her, as she drove out and hit me when I was rounding the roundabout at about 10-15 kmh.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Bugger!
Get well soon

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 pm

It has been a terrible few days - an LACC rider fractured his femur last Wednesday but it was out Bondi way. Bad patch of road, and it was probably wet too.

It is not just cyclists, if your on the NSW Police twitter feed or a friend of NSW Police on Face Book you would have seen this last week was crazy in terms of the road toll.

They released a statement which basically went along the lines of "Say What" and asked people to driver with a bit of care. Clearly the message is not getting through, and people tend to take more risks in the wet.

I almost added to the cyclist toll on Wednesday night, Majors Bay Road, stupidly moved to the left hand side of the lane as a car was hard on my rear wheel. Front tyre played silly buggers along a groove where the road surface meets the gutter surface. Just a slight groove there nearly had me.

I was going fast and should of stayed centre of the lane. Amazing what you do under pressure. I instinctively yelled the first 3/4 of the F word and my body shifted 3 or 4 times and I kept it upright... touch and go!

I'll have to stop being so lazy and take the hybrid in the wet, no way the 32mm schwalbes would blink on a groove like that.

Best of luck recovering - lets hope the last week was an anomaly!

JM