The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

twizzle

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby twizzle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 am

Week four back on the paleo diet (after my night in hospital, I'm not pushing the boundaries on carbs/starchy food any more), and after two days of hill repeats my ride to breakfast (30 minutes) and then on to work (25 minutes) turned into a smash-fest : Threshold & VO2Max for the whole ride, and that's for zones based on my CP of 360, not 335. About another six weeks of training time left before the AG Gran Fondo, I'm beginning to think I might not embarrass myself. Just above 100Kg in weight at the moment, losing ~ 1Kg per week now.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 am

Hospital visit because of your diet?... maybe I am reading it wrong.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 am

Had a brilliant session last night at Nundah Dome. Had 5-6 guys in a paceline. Did 3 intervals of around 10 minutes each.
Started at 38kph and gradually lifted pace for the first 2.
The last one, was a free for all, so one of the stronger guys took off and got 250 metres ahead, and the rest of us tried to reel him in.
Took us 3x 1.2km laps to do so, but was high speed stuff and a sprint for the finish....
Lots of 42+ time so a great night's training with tight paceline work.
What made it extra special was the lack of wind. So much easier when there's no head to push into.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Hospital visit because of your diet?... maybe I am reading it wrong.
No - that's correct. Excess sugars + bacteria in the small intestine = gas production, which pushed everything up and with the hiatus hernia it compressed the bits in the chest cavity - BP 170/103, failed the ECG, failed a blood test for pulmonary embolism, still had a minor abnormality on the ECG the next morning during a stress test. Currently "all good", but I'm giving up on the "Western Diet". First two weeks were hell, at one point I bonked 26km into the ride on the way to work, but the body has gotten used to the lack of concentrated carbs now.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:13 pm

I remember you having a bad stomach in the past... Hope it comes right!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:56 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I remember you having a bad stomach in the past... Hope it comes right!
Me too - bit scary there for a while.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:34 am

Who would of thought the hardest part of training at the moment is getting my head to drop down between my shoulders as low as possible while still being able to see at least 5-10 meters in front of me!. I suppose the more you train in that position the easier it becomes :-) .

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:11 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Who would of thought the hardest part of training at the moment is getting my head to drop down between my shoulders as low as possible while still being able to see at least 5-10 meters in front of me!. I suppose the more you train in that position the easier it becomes :-) .
When you lose that belly TLL, you'll get your shoulders lower, and not kink your neck as much.
How much trunk stretching do you do?
I'd be interested in what angle a line drawn from your hip jt to shoulder jt makes with horizontal.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Rode from M7 Prestons to Blaxland and back, the south westerly wind really didn't help at all... By the time I was on the return leg it was mostly a south easter varying just enough to make it a bit of a grind, avg speed only relatively low at about 29kmh but I'm happy with it considering how out of shape I am!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:28 pm

PawPaw wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Who would of thought the hardest part of training at the moment is getting my head to drop down between my shoulders as low as possible while still being able to see at least 5-10 meters in front of me!. I suppose the more you train in that position the easier it becomes :-) .
When you lose that belly TLL, you'll get your shoulders lower, and not kink your neck as much.
How much trunk stretching do you do?
I'd be interested in what angle a line drawn from your hip jt to shoulder jt makes with horizontal.
What belly :shock: ....my shoulders are as low as they can go for now, but if i relax everything I can get my head : neck to drop down between the shoulders a lot more.Gives me at least .5kmph increase with the same effort, down side is I have to lift my head to see all the way ahead :lol: . Have to keep training the position. Off to Spain on Tuesday for 12 days... should probably take the TT bike with me instead of the road bike, but I want to explore... oh the dilema :P .

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:10 pm

42km spin down at nuriootpa, angaston and tanuda last night. Flew past Tanunda pub at 12.45 am.

Warm, mostly water, home made ice coffee in the podium chill camelbak. Stayed warm for ages, bloody beautiful drink on a cold night ride.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:33 pm

put aero's on your roadie TLL.

after our club's 33km ITT this morning, I am as flat as I was after a return mtn climb (5000-14400ft) in one day when I was 21.
1 hr at maximal sustainable intensity on a hilly course has smashed not only my legs, but head as well.
have to put in an appearance at a party at 7pm, but will be excusing myself within an hour.

tomorrow, if I wake up sort of ok, I'll do 120k with a few hills. I jokingly brought up a Mt Glorious coffee as an option, and some of the guys said, yeah!!!. :shock:

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Pawpaw I'm AT a party (family do) just lookin for an excuse to leave reckon I can use your story??? Fact I'm doing a 90kmh hills loop tomorrow might look bad, no??

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 pm

meridaman, just sneak off without saying goodbye, like I just did....very poor form I know, but the party was hotting up on the back of free flowing booze, so the goodbye's would have dragged on and on......now I'm home and made the mistake of turning the road race on.

actually, I could always say goodbye to the host via SMS, as if I hadn't left yet......"Sorry, I don't want to interrupt the guy (your husband?) with his tongue in your ear. Have to ride in the morning. Thanks for the invite. See you during the week" :D

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:06 am

Well, my dream run of never getting sick has come to an end. Just puddling about on the MTB for an hour or so for a few days, due to a horrible case of laryngitis. Don't want to make myself worse by training sick. Nice path circuit up here in Mackay though, heads along the beach, then swings down the river and around the back of town through Botanic Gardens, Very nice.
You have officially become your parents.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:24 pm

PawPaw wrote:put aero's on your roadie TLL.
position is so different though... Saddle 2 cm further forward ( plus it is an ISM saddle so that makes it closer to 4 cm further forward in reality ) ... Loads more weight on my forearms etc.
I still find riding the tt bike position pretty tiring so a month like that would probably help a lot.
But I think I will have to make do with two weeks when I get back.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Google maps helped me make up my mind... 2 weeks of this looks to good to not enjoy.Roadbike it is :P .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:53 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
position is so different though... Saddle 2 cm further forward ( plus it is an ISM saddle so that makes it closer to 4 cm further forward in reality ) ... Loads more weight on my forearms etc.
I still find riding the tt bike position pretty tiring so a month like that would probably help a lot.
Strange - I prefer the TT setup. Causes me less back pain.

Many hills in the last two days, I'm going for intensity over time. I've also lost 5.7kg in four weeks as well, so power-to-weight is improving more quickly than FTP. I'm now thinking I'm going to enjoy the Gran Fondo. :)

mjd

Postby mjd » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 pm

twizzle wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
Strange - I prefer the TT setup. Causes me less back pain.

Many hills in the last two days, I'm going for intensity over time. I've also lost 5.7kg in four weeks as well, so power-to-weight is improving more quickly than FTP. I'm now thinking I'm going to enjoy the Gran Fondo. :)
Nearly 6kg that's great work Twizzle. Keep it up mate & just get to the weight your happy with. Ftp work will come once your at the weight you want.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm

mjd wrote:Nearly 6kg that's great work Twizzle. Keep it up mate & just get to the weight your happy with. Ftp work will come once your at the weight you want.
No, damn it, I want my missing 45W back, and I want it NOW! :)

(I used to have an FTP of ~ 380W two years ago, and I reckon it's about 335W at the moment).

mjd

Postby mjd » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm

twizzle wrote:
mjd wrote:Nearly 6kg that's great work Twizzle. Keep it up mate & just get to the weight your happy with. Ftp work will come once your at the weight you want.
No, damn it, I want my missing 45W back, and I want it NOW! :)

(I used to have an FTP of ~ 380W two years ago, and I reckon it's about 335W at the moment).
Watts per kilo is where its at! :D

skull

Postby skull » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:04 pm

What dates the fondo Twiz?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 am

Super happy... finally broke the 40km average (40.4) for my 13.2km rolling training loop even having to slow right up for traffic on one corner.
Followed it up with a 36.8 and a 37.3 loop at hard tempo. So a nice 3x20 today.
Hopefully adding in a skin suit / 80mm front / disc rear / aero lid and fresher legs than I had today will give me 42km's per hour... plus another months training to give me the 44 I really want!.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Your a machine! :shock:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:00 pm

skull wrote:What dates the fondo Twiz?
September 16'th. 110km including the equivalent of five climbs of Stromlo in the middle.

I've been doing laps of the top section of Stromlo. It's the steeper part, but with corners the average descent speed is slower so you can drive it hard down to the boom gate and then ride back up again straight away (as opposed to spending a bunch of time being aero at 60+ kph). ~ 4:10 per climb and 2:30 descent, so you can just keep hammering the laps. I've been time restricted, so only managed to get seven laps in yesterday and today, but whilst it's only a TSS of ~ 60, the intensity & variability is good. I'm going to try and increase it to eight or nine laps a morning, it just means I need to wake up earlier (easier said than done).