Olympic cycling events

RICHARDH

Olympic cycling events

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ne ... gold-class

Strong team, seeing as those that do the ITT have to do the road race a very balanced team
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

vander

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby vander » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Isnt the course flat? If it is why did they take stuey and gerro. Surely they are better off doing the 2 TTers and a 2 man lead out for Gossy surely that was our best shot. Assuming its flat (havent actually seen a profile of it).

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 pm

There is a Hill (Box Hill) which they have to complete each lap, so that makes it quite hard when you have to go over it multiple times. Stuey is there as a road captain, no one better in my opinion. The lead out will be O'Grady and Rogers, Gerrans there to test his luck a little earlier in the race to see if a break can go.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:56 pm

So what do we think people foregone conclusion or do we think Goss and co. have a chance ?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Sounds like an interesting race... Personally I think Cav won't make it, but it is hard to say as he has been using the TDF as training, where as some of the other sprinters having been working a lot harder with in the TDF. The hill itself isn't that hard but talking to a few guys who know it well it is on small and rough roads and it will be more likely a typical classics rider who wins... after all if Cav gets over the last climb in touch with the main bunch and team mates then they will no doubt run down any breakaway group on the long ( 50 km ) run back into central London on big roads.So my money is on many teams aiming to break the bunch up big time with a few laps of box hill to go... but having big enough numbers to make it the 50k's to the finish.
Shame I will be racing when it is on... but after 5 weeks and no racing I am hanging out for some action!.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 pm

England not being renowned for its mountains anyway, Box Hill is only a 2.8 km climb, average 4% gradient, maximum 6%.

So they will have to go up it nine times!

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Preview of the course here

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/07/oly ... ce-course/

I thought the hill would have been a big more of a, well, hill. I know they do it 9 times, but it isn't huge!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 pm

It is well over twice as long as the hill in the Sydney Olympics... The distance, the hill, the smaller teams will all make it an exciting race I hope!.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Next thing you know someone will be suggesting it wasn't custom designed for a certain Manxman to win a sprint finish :roll:

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:Next thing you know someone will be suggesting it wasn't custom designed for a certain Manxman to win a sprint finish :roll:
also by pure chance that hes dropped a few kg's for this said event...?

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am

toolonglegs wrote:It is well over twice as long as the hill in the Sydney Olympics... The distance, the hill, the smaller teams will all make it an exciting race I hope!.
The Sydney road race had a hill? :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am

norbs wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:It is well over twice as long as the hill in the Sydney Olympics... The distance, the hill, the smaller teams will all make it an exciting race I hope!.
It had a few small hills, Darley Rd up to McPherson St (800 m at 5%) and Bronte Road (1.2 km at 6.6%) - enough to permit perenial Tdf runner up (& doper) Jan Ulrich to win ahead of Kazak hard man (& doper) Alexander Vinokourov with former T-mobile rider (& alleged doper) Andreas Klöden in 3rd.

The only way I can see it being an interesting race is if guys like Boasen Hagen & Gilbert are prepared to attack. Unfortunately I don't think the Aussies will feature in the medals, but will happily eat humble pie if they do

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:52 am

find_bruce wrote:
norbs wrote:
It had a few small hills, Darley Rd up to McPherson St (800 m at 5%) and Bronte Road (1.2 km at 6.6%) - enough to permit perenial Tdf runner up (& doper) Jan Ulrich to win ahead of Kazak hard man (& doper) Alexander Vinokourov with former T-mobile rider (& alleged doper) Andreas Klöden in 3rd.

The only way I can see it being an interesting race is if guys like Boasen Hagen & Gilbert are prepared to attack. Unfortunately I don't think the Aussies will feature in the medals, but will happily eat humble pie if they do
Really ?, Goss came 2nd in how many Tour Stages ? If the race breaks up a bit we've got Gerrans , Rogers and O'Grady. I think we have an excellent chance of atleast get on the podium. I think lots o teams will be interested in making this race hard enough to drop Cav .

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:55 pm

They take Cav to the finish and they're racing for 2nd. Maybe Greipel might fancy himself at the end, but that's about it.

As a result every other team will attack like mad all day. And if they do get away, everyone will just wheelsuck the GB team like crazy when they try bring it all together, which hurts if you only have 5.

I reckon it's a day for the Puncheurs rather than the Sprinters. Quite fancy Gerrans at 130-1. I've also laid Cav at 2.20

vander

Postby vander » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:59 am

Noone at all a fan of Boonen? Had such good early form this year hasnt. I wouldnt be surprised to see him get his form up for this. I also think he is one of the few that can compete with Cav in a sprint.

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:02 pm

I think Boonen could well win it, and I also reckon the Belgians (with Gilbert) will be probably be one of the strong teams keenest to tear the race to pieces. Throw in guys like EBH, Canc, Chavanel, LLS who ride with teams that lack a class sprinter, I just can't see the thing staying together

timbo

Postby timbo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Boonen didn't compete in the TdF to concentrate on the Olympics.
If there is one man who can test how much the TdF riders have left in the tank, its Boonen.
If Cancellara concentrates on the TT, the Aussies would be better off concentrating on the Road Race.
The Road Races and TT are at the start of the Olympics this time, where in Sydney they were in the final days of then Games. What this means, I don't know, less time for the TdF ricers perhaps.
Australia should sign up Greg Inglis (NRL) to put the shoulder charge on Cav. :)

P.S. If Pippa Middleton signs up for the mens road race, no-one will get past her. :wink: (sorry).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:01 pm

It's under way! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:13 pm

I joined up to Foxtel today on my Samsung Smart TV. Cheaper than Sat Foxtel and it works surprisingly well. Watching the road race now. :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Hmm, tell me more please?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:23 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Hmm, tell me more please?

Foo
http://www.foxtel.com.au/internettv/default.htm

Only works on a Samsung Smart TV. You need the latest firmware and the Foxtel App. $19 for base package + $50 for the 8 Olympics channels with no fixed contract so you can cancel it if you like. Mine is streaming fine at the highest quality setting with no buffering stutters over WiFi. There is no download charge if you are on Bigpond.

btothec

Postby btothec » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:39 pm

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/14/v-421419.html

Live at the moment here for those that don't have Foxtel. O'Grady in the early break.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Anyone else notice that the commentary fades out sometimes, especially when they take a shot from the helicopter...???

It's very annoying...and the camera work is a bit dodgy at times....very noticeable after the TdF coverage.
Lisa

timbo

Postby timbo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:57 pm

And lets cross again to the rowing, with James Brayshaw talking absolute , as only he knows how.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:59 pm

timbo wrote:And lets cross again to the rowing, with James Brayshaw talking absolute shite, as only he knows how.
It's times like this I'm happy to have pay TV, sorry for those that have to stick with the ch 9 coverage :(
Lisa