Garmin Edge 500

Marto

Re: Garmin Edge 500

Postby Marto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 am

hosko wrote:2.8 seems to do everything the unit needs... don't think I will be upgrading mine anytime soon :)
Sounds a bit like computer software upgrades, in that a .0 release (3.0 here) is more likely to have more changes and more bugs. The .1 release is often a bugfix/"stability issues" release rather than a new tricks release. A clever upgrade strategy to minimise risk is to wait for the .1 (3.1 in this case) release, unless you really need the new tricks and can afford to risk some problems.

I'll keep tweaking my screens while holding off updating until a later release.

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm

erased all history... asked for plugin update on computer and did the trick..

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 am

If you're seeing USB/file corruption make sure you "gracefully" disconnect it from your computer. If you just unplug it, the USB filesystem is left open and files might be ony half-written or whatever. Go to the Windows tray and "eject" the device "Safely Remove Hardware...").

My 500 is on firmware 2.8 still. This version does what I want (and I'm really happy with it, at that) so there's no point in the risk of an upgrade if there aren't any features I'm after.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:10 am

wexford wrote:My 500 is on firmware 2.8 still. This version does what I want (and I'm really happy with it, at that) so there's no point in the risk of an upgrade if there aren't any features I'm after.
I'm thinking the same. I've still got about 9 months warranty so will do it before that runs out.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 pm

My second Garmin Edge 800 in 18 months recently failed. The second unit would not find satellites. Did all the necessary resets etc without luck. Initially I spoke to Garmin Australasia and basically the response was it will cost $259 for a "replacement unit". Not overly happy about this I spoke to Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes, the retailer I purchased the unit from in the first place. Based on Rob's advice I spoke to Garmin a second time, told them I was not happy, that I would take the matter up with the ACCC if necessary etc. The response then from Garmin was to send the unit in and it would be escalated to a manager for consideration, which I durly did, but no promise to get it back to me in time for my tour.

In the meantime I updated Rob on the response and also mentioned that I was heading off in two weeks on my Dreaming Tour ... three months of riding. Rob then followed up with Garmin for me as well as emailing me a copy of my original invoice to pass on to Garmin. Bottom line I got an email from Rob yesterday saying that Garmin would replace my unit at no cost but he didn't think I would get it in time for my departure which is tomorrow. I am pleased to say that I did get a refurbished unit today so thanks to Garmin for sending it by overnight courier.

I don't think that without Rob's help I would have got such a favourable response from Garmin, well without a lot more angst and differently not in time for my tour so a BIG THANKS to Rob and Highly Tuned Athletes. I am glad I brought locally and will buy again from Highly Tuned Athletes when I upgrade my Edge. Garmin but needs to get it act together and maybe it is time the ACCC to chat to them as well. The failure rate on these units just seems too high in my view.

Andrew

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Aushiker wrote:My second Garmin Edge 800 in 18 months recently failed. The second unit would not find satellites. Did all the necessary resets etc without luck. Initially I spoke to Garmin Australasia and basically the response was it will cost $259 for a "replacement unit". Not overly happy about this I spoke to Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes, the retailer I purchased the unit from in the first place. Based on Rob's advice I spoke to Garmin a second time, told them I was not happy, that I would take the matter up with the ACCC if necessary etc. The response then from Garmin was to send the unit in and it would be escalated to a manager for consideration, which I durly did, but no promise to get it back to me in time for my tour.

In the meantime I updated Rob on the response and also mentioned that I was heading off in two weeks on my Dreaming Tour ... three months of riding. Rob then followed up with Garmin for me as well as emailing me a copy of my original invoice to pass on to Garmin. Bottom line I got an email from Rob yesterday saying that Garmin would replace my unit at no cost but he didn't think I would get it in time for my departure which is tomorrow. I am pleased to say that I did get a refurbished unit today so thanks to Garmin for sending it by overnight courier.

I don't think that without Rob's help I would have got such a favourable response from Garmin, well without a lot more angst and differently not in time for my tour so a BIG THANKS to Rob and Highly Tuned Athletes. I am glad I brought locally and will buy again from Highly Tuned Athletes when I upgrade my Edge. Garmin but needs to get it act together and maybe it is time the ACCC to chat to them as well. The failure rate on these units just seems too high in my view.

Andrew
So, which retailer did you buy your Garmin from? :D

Seriously, I've heard lots of good things about HTA an if I decide to upgrade from my Garmin 200, I'll go through them.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 am

Finally got my Garmin 500 back from Garmin. Refurbished unit for $159. Old one was out of warranty by a couple of months. Firmware Upgrade to 3.0 was faultless, but a few days later the unit started randomly powering off, then refused to do anything. Basically it turned into a brick.
$159 for a replacement unit, which has come with the 2.80 Firmware. I won't be upgrading it!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 am

queequeg wrote:Finally got my Garmin 500 back from Garmin. Refurbished unit for $159. Old one was out of warranty by a couple of months. Firmware Upgrade to 3.0 was faultless, but a few days later the unit started randomly powering off, then refused to do anything. Basically it turned into a brick.
$159 for a replacement unit, which has come with the 2.80 Firmware. I won't be upgrading it!
There should be six months warranty on the replacement unit. Did you buy the first unit in Australia or overseas? If brought locally, Garmin a more tolerant on warranty time but if brought overseas no forgiveness. Well that is as I understand it anyway.

Andrew

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:12 pm

For those having issues with purchases that are just out of warranty, under Statutory Rights and Consumer Guarantees, you may still be able to claim a repair, refund or replacement even though the goods are out of warranty. I would be contacting the ACCC to see how you stand.
Statutory rights are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item. This means a consumer may be entitled to a remedy under their statutory rights after any manufacturer’s voluntary or extended warranty has expired.

For example, it is reasonable to expect that an expensive television should not develop a serious fault after 13 months of normal use. In this case, the consumer could argue the item was not of merchantable quality and ask for it to be repaired, even if the manufacturer’s voluntary warranty had expired.
Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:
queequeg wrote:Finally got my Garmin 500 back from Garmin. Refurbished unit for $159. Old one was out of warranty by a couple of months. Firmware Upgrade to 3.0 was faultless, but a few days later the unit started randomly powering off, then refused to do anything. Basically it turned into a brick.
There should be six months warranty on the replacement unit. Did you buy the first unit in Australia or overseas? If brought locally, Garmin a more tolerant on warranty time but if brought overseas no forgiveness. Well that is as I understand it anyway.

Andrew
The original unit was from the UK. I got it at an unbeatable price at the time (I think it was $220 for the Speed/Cadence/HRM version), and the closest price to it here was almost double that. The local Garmin guy said it made no difference where I bought it if it was out of warranty, as you only needed proof of local purchase for a warranty replacement. For all out of warranty service I was told there is one option - pay $159 for a replacement (refurbished) unit, effectively the cost of them getting your old one back, fixing it and returning it to the "refurbished" stock. The same applies if I had returned it out of warranty in the UK or the USA (though the USA replacement service is only $USD89).

I'll see how the replacement unit goes. I won't be tempting fate with the 3.0 upgrade again, but at least I confirmed that the 3.0 upgrade still did not fix the Courses problem, and that was the only reason I did the upgrade in the first place! I am now covered by a local Garmin 3 month warranty, so if the replacement suffers the same fate I will be requesting a fix free of charge.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:15 pm

A question to any Garmin device user really but I will put it here. Its starting to take a lot longer to upload data now so figure it scans through all the activites to find the new ones which is the cause for the delay. At what point does the device run out of space? And does anyone here clear it regularly or put it on a usb or something? Thanks in advance.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 am

danny the boy wrote:A question to any Garmin device user really but I will put it here. Its starting to take a lot longer to upload data now so figure it scans through all the activites to find the new ones which is the cause for the delay. At what point does the device run out of space? And does anyone here clear it regularly or put it on a usb or something? Thanks in advance.
I found a similar issue with an old 305 that I had, for that unit I had to keep only the last months worth of rides on the unit otherwise it would take ages to upload if it was actually able to upload. Like I said it is an old unit that is on its third owner. However with the 500 I have not noticed anything yet, mind you I only got the unit 1.5 months ago.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:22 am

danny the boy wrote:A question to any Garmin device user really but I will put it here. Its starting to take a lot longer to upload data now so figure it scans through all the activites to find the new ones which is the cause for the delay.
Assuming you're using the Garmin Communicator plugin to upload the data, then yes, that's exactly what's happening.
At what point does the device run out of space?
That depends on all sorts of things, although it's very easy to see how much space is left on the device. All you need to do is plug it into your computer, and it'll show you the space used/remaining just like any other usb drive.
And does anyone here clear it regularly or put it on a usb or something? Thanks in advance.
Yes ... normally every few months (and I don't even use the GC plugin, so that's a complete non-issue for me).

I actually do it because:
1) I like having a backup should anything unforeseen end up happening to my Garmin.
2) I remember another user (Comedian I think) posted about his device dying because there were actually too many activities stored on it.

EDIT - Here we go ... http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 50#p757518

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:18 am

What happens is that Garmin Connect and Strava have to scan all the files to see what's new and therefore what to load from the device. I suspect the EDGE 500 is just USB 1.1 which is really slow, therefore the more files you have the longer it will take.

Yep, just go to your Activities folder and move all the .FIT files to somewhere else. You can always put them back if you need to (although I've never needed to after a year of using Strava and GC).

My EDGE 500 died this morning. The power button has been acting up recently (takes lots of clicks before it will switch on or off). Took it in to the LBS today, to get sent back for warranty replacement.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 am

Some of you have had problems with garmin showing strange grades on hills. I've had this experience. On Tuesday i was roaring down this hill and was brave enough to look at the speedo and the grade showed -110%. I know it wasn't true but it felt like it.

Graham

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 pm

My Garmin edge 500 has become sentient, and is connecting to Skynet to work against me. This morning all the traffic lights changed red when I rode up to them. It is also telling me the hill I'm on is not so steep, so I'm losing confidence in my climbing ability.

Should I delete some activities or just perform a hard reset?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Marto wrote: Should I delete some activities or just perform a hard reset?
Neither. Take another red one :)

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:25 am

My 500 recently would take forevery to load the activities to either Garmin Connect or Strava after the latest firmware update.
I deleted all the activities because I didn't need them but the the courses I wanted to keep, but it would still take forever (if at all) to update.

For me the fix was to do this :

Copy the course files to your PC
Look at the filenames of the courses and make sure there are no strange characters that the Garmin doesn't recognise. A long course name is useless on the unit itself so it will truncate it. Somewhere along the line it introduced some random filename characters such as a square symbol. Delete these and replace with underscore or whatever.
Copy courses back to Garmin.

That fixed it for me.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 pm

On the subject of Garmin Edge units anyone played with the K-Edge mounts?

Andrew

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm not sure if it has been covered but how do I merge two .fit files from my Edge 500? I rode out to Blaxland and had to re-start the unit after 45 min break and it's registered two seperate activities I want to merge both???

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm

meridaman wrote:I'm not sure if it has been covered but how do I merge two .fit files from my Edge 500? I rode out to Blaxland and had to re-start the unit after 45 min break and it's registered two seperate activities I want to merge both???
Might find a solution at the Garmin forums.

Andrew

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:On the subject of Garmin Edge units anyone played with the K-Edge mounts
Totally awesome. Solid as a rock. Expensive :(
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks Aushiker, I think the file formats are different than .gpx, there are some programs written to combine .gpx files but struggling to find .fit combination. I shall keep looking, cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:57 am

Use TCX Converter (it's free) to convert your .fit files to .gpx, then combine. TCX Converter can then be used to convert back to .fit if required.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:43 pm

I must be doing it wrong, I select the file but I get an error "There is no data to read" ...?

Weird.