Travelling to city from M5 moorebank tolls

lamagy

Travelling to city from M5 moorebank tolls

Postby lamagy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone did this commute to work, am i cracy or are there others, wouldn't mind doing it somedays.

MREJ

Re: Travelling to city from M5 moorebank tolls

Postby MREJ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 pm

I do it now and again. Ride the M5 to Bexley, then various back roads over through Annandale to Anzac Bridge.

The m5 is ok in the mornings because the traffic is often no faster than me (or slower) - so not threatening. On the way back it is faster and therefore more intimidating. There is a bike path alternative for much of it, but there are no easy bike path ways across Salt Pan Ck, so even when I occasionally use the path and back roads from Bexley to Riverwood, I hop back onto the motorway at Riverwood to get across SP Ck.

The back roads are usually quiet and pretty safe.

Here is my M5 route and another one that avoids the freeway. I don't use the latter route any more.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ea ... ney-via-M5

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sy ... crow-flies
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

lamagy

Postby lamagy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for that, what time in the mornings do you recommend and how long does it take you on average either direction?

Wonder if there's a group of riders that ride as I hardly see any during peak hour.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:45 pm

lamagy wrote:Thanks for that, what time in the mornings do you recommend and how long does it take you on average either direction?

Wonder if there's a group of riders that ride as I hardly see any during peak hour.
Can't help with going into the city, though I'm on the M5 from Ingleburn to the Bexley exit most mornings/evenings. As MREJ said, you're usually faster than traffic during the morning and for most part of the evening as well. I haven't had (touch wood) any close encounters while commuting and I find it relatively safe as you're riding on the shoulder away from the tin cans. The worse I've had are P platers yelling out stuff or beeping and thats usually in the afternoon.

I've yet to come across any groups... The most I've seen is two, and they werent riding together.

What time are you planning on riding? I start at 5 - 530 and generally get to the bexley exit in about 55mins.

Ps there are also often police crackdowns on motor vehicles who use the shoulder illegally... I've come across about 5 or 6 being written a ticket which I have a nice chuckle to myself :twisted:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:58 pm

I haven't seen many people on bikes -usually there are no others except between Annandale and the city. As for times, I like to go early enough so there isn't a lot of school traffic when I'm going through the inner west. I also prefer to do at least one direction in daylight, although that's not possible for me in winter.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:14 pm

A cycleway above the M5 tunnel is something that has been talked about since the tunnel opened.
I don't think they even bother talking about it these days.