Olympic cycling events

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:31 am

:shock: Fabs. WTH????
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26066
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

by BNA » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am

BNA
 

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby gassyndrome » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am

Big finish by the old fella!
gassyndrome
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:54 am

Never underestimate the tenacity and will power of us old fellas' :lol:

A deserved win and runner up for a well ridden race! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4558
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby HAKS » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:03 am

Cardy George wrote:It's not pretty, but we'll see how fast it is soon enough.

Forgive my ignorance, who's in the commentary box with Phil?


Twas Scott McGrory. Not completely sold on him, he made some pretty wacky comments which i wouldn't have expected to come from a past cyclist.

:lol: at GB building a custom bike for Cav, Wiggo and Froome in the hope it would get them gold. Custom don't mean much when you are 1min behind :P
Last edited by HAKS on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby snark » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 am

Cardy George wrote:Forgive my ignorance, who's in the commentary box with Phil?


Scott McGrory.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."
User avatar
snark
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:35 am
Location: Geelong, Vic

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby briztoon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 am

Well that was a stuff up by the Aussies (and Germany, not so team GB as they played their card, but just didn't have the numbers to pull it off). I didn't agree with the team selection, particularly Cadel being there.

There should have been two different, but clear tactics which dictated team selection. One team up with GB and Germany to get the sprinters to the line and let them sort it out. Or two, try and break team GB and put Gerrans and Goss in a breakaway group. Unlike Cav, Goss can get over small hills with the better all round riders.

No good having the "strongest ever" Aussie road race team, if your best shot at a medal isn't there at the end.

I know it's easy to criticise in hind sight, but Goss should have been in the medal hunt and he wasn't.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:53 am

Actually Briztoon there were plenty of us armchair experts criticising with foresight.

Didn't see or hear from Evans or Gerrans & still cannot see what plan would have used their current form.

Forgive me if I don't get excited about a win by an unrepentant drug cheat.

Really sad about Cancellara & I hope he is ok for the TT.

Still there was a bright spot from the race - we get to laugh at Cavendish whine, like the prat he is, about how other countries didn't help drag him to the line.
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby familyguy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 am

find_bruce wrote:Still there was a bright spot from the race - we get to laugh at Cavendish whine, like the prat he is, about how other countries didn't help drag him to the line.


Wait...so Cav is sore that the other teams did what Sky just did for three weeks?

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby LG » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 am

Has Uran never been in a 1 up sprint before? Pretty basic error to let Vino get the jump. Hopefully he's learnt and rides on a barrier next time.
LG = Low Gear
LG
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby waramatt » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:38 am

Cav is a whingeing Pom - pretty good effort, since he's a Manxman, and the Isle of Man is not, under British law, considered to be part of the United Kingdom...

I'm no cycling expert, but it seemed to me that the Pom tactics of staying at the head of the peloton and keeping the pace steady so Cav didn't get dropped on the hills simply backfired on them and the breakaways put too big a gap on Team GB.

That's cycling.
Image

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells
User avatar
waramatt
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:53 am

waramatt wrote:Cav is a whingeing Pom - pretty good effort, since he's a Manxman, and the Isle of Man is not, under British law, considered to be part of the United Kingdom...

I'm no cycling expert, but it seemed to me that the Pom tactics of staying at the head of the peloton and keeping the pace steady so Cav didn't get dropped on the hills simply backfired on them and the breakaways put too big a gap on Team GB.

That's cycling.

Interesting theory, but I seem to recall Cavendish was riding for Great Britain, not the British Crown Dependency of the Isle of Mann
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:58 am

LG wrote:Pretty basic error to let Vino get the jump.

I suppose that depends on how much Vino paid for it.
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3465
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby grasshopper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Well I enjoyed it, except for Vino getting it. Would not have guessed it would draw such crowds. I guess Wiggo and The Times campaign helped, compared with the Hun and co.
User avatar
grasshopper
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:04 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby stickgc » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Laughed when I read this quote from Horner;

"At one point when my crank arm broke off, I changed my bike and chased back on, I'm doing 80k's an hour at the bottom of the circuit and there's a car on my left and a car on my right, and I'm getting ready to shoot the middle, and the two cars on the right pull over and stop, and I got just about enough room for me to get through ... and the mechanic opens the door on the road side, not on the grass side but on the road side! I was literally bike-going-sideways locked up and I missed the door by a few inches."

Sounds like fun! :shock:
User avatar
stickgc
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:21 pm

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby brentono » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:49 pm

"Who Dares Wins"
Congratulations to the medal winners in the Olympic Road Race.
Great showing of 6th for Australia's Stuart O'Grady.
:mrgreen:

Worst luck of the day, Fabian Cancellara robbed of a chance at Olympic time trial champion :(
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
User avatar
brentono
 
Posts: 3676
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Perth DubyaEh.

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby HAKS » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:12 pm

brentono wrote:
Worst luck of the day, Fabian Cancellara robbed of a chance at Olympic time trial champion :(


He's not out yet. No broken bones so giving it a few days. Hopefully he can still ride.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby brentono » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:16 pm

HAKS wrote:
brentono wrote:
Worst luck of the day, Fabian Cancellara robbed of a chance at Olympic time trial champion :(


He's not out yet. No broken bones so giving it a few days. Hopefully he can still ride.


Swissteam announces that Cancellara has left hospital.
No fracture, shoulder bruising with bleeding into muscles.
TT participating pending :(
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
User avatar
brentono
 
Posts: 3676
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Perth DubyaEh.

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby brentono » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:33 am

Culmination of a bad month, Cadel out of TT (virus infection continues) :(
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
User avatar
brentono
 
Posts: 3676
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Perth DubyaEh.

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 am

brentono wrote:Culmination of a bad month, Cadel out of TT (virus infection continues) :(
:mrgreen:

But it's ok - any member of the road team can step in. Surely with enough jingoistic spirit, O'Grady, Gerrans or Goss could learn to TT :roll:
Last edited by find_bruce on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby brentono » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:47 am

find_bruce wrote:But it's ok - any member of the road team can step in. Surely with enough jongoistic spirit, O'Grady, Gerrans or Goss could learn top TT :roll:

You could be right, no tactics required, just sit down and pedal as hard as you can. :wink:
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
User avatar
brentono
 
Posts: 3676
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Perth DubyaEh.

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby rockviewau » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
LG wrote:Pretty basic error to let Vino get the jump.

I suppose that depends on how much Vino paid for it.



I did wonder about this.... Uran looked at Vino twice on the right, then a long look left, Vino never once looked like he was going left IMO. Im sure Uran played the respect the old man card and let him go....
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

Image
rockviewau
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: Darwin

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm

brentono wrote:Culmination of a bad month, Cadel out of TT (virus infection continues) :(
:mrgreen:

What an unfortunately few weeks for Cadel. But seriously, was it "stomach bug", virus infection or sinus trouble? All have been excused at different times during the last 3 weeks. I don't think he want's any one to know the real reason or for a lack of reason, and I don't blame him for wanting to keep some secrets. Just don't like to hear a slew of disconnected reasons being fed to the media and then rebroadcasted to the fan base.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17055
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:04 pm

sogood wrote:
brentono wrote:Culmination of a bad month, Cadel out of TT (virus infection continues) :(
:mrgreen:

What an unfortunately few weeks for Cadel. But seriously, was it "stomach bug", virus infection or sinus trouble? All have been excused at different times during the last 3 weeks. I don't think he want's any one to know the real reason or for a lack of reason, and I don't blame him for wanting to keep some secrets. Just don't like to hear a slew of disconnected reasons being fed to the media and then rebroadcasted to the fan base.

New child in the family... can play hell with the immune system :lol: ... plus a new child in the family can play hell with everything else too.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14497
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:New child in the family... can play hell with the immune system :lol: ... plus a new child in the family can play hell with everything else too.

Speaking from personal experiences? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually, a child will not so much affect parents' immunity but introduce "bug" back into the family when they come into contact with kiddo social groups.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17055
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Olympic Road Race / TT

Postby The_Eggman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 am

briztoon wrote:Well that was a stuff up by the Aussies (and Germany, not so team GB as they played their card, but just didn't have the numbers to pull it off). I didn't agree with the team selection, particularly Cadel being there.

There should have been two different, but clear tactics which dictated team selection. One team up with GB and Germany to get the sprinters to the line and let them sort it out. Or two, try and break team GB and put Gerrans and Goss in a breakaway group. Unlike Cav, Goss can get over small hills with the better all round riders.

No good having the "strongest ever" Aussie road race team, if your best shot at a medal isn't there at the end.

I know it's easy to criticise in hind sight, but Goss should have been in the medal hunt and he wasn't.


Goss is a better climber than Cav. Not sure he's strong enough to go with Canc, Vino, Chavanel, Nibali, Gilbert, LLS, Gessink, et al. And no-one is going to be prepared to work with a bloke like Goss there in a break. You tow him to the finish and he blows you away in the last 300m.

The Aussie tactics were fine, up until we missed the break with Canc et al. We needed to have Gerro in that bunch. Once that ship had sailed though, I doubt even they had pitched in whether they'd have caught the break - 30 guys the calibre of Canc, Chavanel, Nibali, Gilbert, LLS, Gessink, Menchov, Vino ain't coming back easy - this isn't 4 journeymen looking to get some TV time in a 3 week grand tour. And O'Grady has a reasonable sprint pedigree, good tactical nouse and has won classics before. Wasn't a bad pony to back.

Shame Cadel hasn't come up for the ITT. Would have been great to have Durbo riding
The_Eggman
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit