Adelaide - Safe commuting routes / areas

robbiepapenfus

Adelaide - Safe commuting routes / areas

Postby robbiepapenfus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi All,

I could potentially by moving to Adelaide in 2 months time and I'm looking at areas to live, taking the commute in consideration.

I am looking at a few areas in the Hills, perhaps Crafers or Stirling.

How would the cycle be from these areas into the CBD be? Are there safe bike tracks / lanes?

I could potentially be working in Greenhill Road, south of the CBD.

Are there any other areas in Adelaide to live, which provide a 10-15km commute into the city on safe roads?

For the time being, i have chosen Crafers or Stirling and i have a family with 3 kids, and will need the space, bigger house (4 bedrooms), trying to keep rental under $500pw.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Robbie

Dr_Mutley

Re: Adelaide - Safe commuting routes / areas

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Stirling and crafers wold be a good choice, and an easy commute to greenhill road... Bike track along the freeway is good... And ascending back up is. Nice ride.... Conversely u could cross across the top of lofty and descend down greenhill road, which early in the morning has quite a bit of traffic, but if your a good descender your easily traveling at the speed of the cars, so u take the lane and it is quite safe....

Nice part of the world up in the hills...

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks! How long do you think the round trip would take?

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:49 pm

You may find this useful: http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport, ... ling+maps/

Google maps now has a cycling option as well however I find it rather hit and miss.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:15 am

robbiepapenfus wrote:Thanks! How long do you think the round trip would take?
20 - 30mins down and an hour or so back up...

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:03 pm

Anywhere in the eastern suburbs north of Cross Rd and south of Montacute Rd should give you back street/non-arterial road commute options to Greenhill Rd.
Another option would be along along the Tram Line (or somewhere within 5-10 min ride north or south of this). The Mike Turtur Bikeway follows the tram line all the way from Glenelg to Greenhill Rd and I think its a great commuter route. It'll drop you off on Greenhill Rd at King William. If you want to ride faster, but put up with traffic then you can also ride Anzac Hwy. This would be a totally flat route though.

Crafers/Stirling to the Greenhill (as others have pointed out) would be around 20-30 min depending on how much of a descender you are. The ride home a 45 min climb from Greenhill to Crafers. There's a two lane dedicated bike path the whole way up the hill with around 400m of climbing. Sections of the road have almost no street lighting so you'd need good lights in winter (kangaroos, koalas and deer have been known to jump out onto the road at inappropriate times) and some good wet weather gear - Crafers gets about twice the annual rainfall as Adelaide!
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed