Warning black ice on Corin Rd

Ross

Warning black ice on Corin Rd

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Went out with a group yesterday planning to go out to Corin Dam. Didn't even get to the Corin Forest and had to turn back due to black ice on the road. There were signs out from not far past Woods Reserve warning of ice but at that point it only looked like a bit of surface water running across the road and nothing to worry about. But further up there definitely was ice with one rider coming down. Not badly hurt and was able to continue the ride but I'm sure he could've down without the crash. This was at about 10am on a sunny day and temp only down around zero overnight (probably a bit colder out Corin way).

twizzle

Re: Warning black ice on Corin Rd

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

James stacked there yesterday on the ascent, a couple of hundred metres up from the Gibraltar Falls turnoff. Probably around 10:30. But we went all the way to the top gate. The very left edge of the road seemed safe, James didn't like the look of the left and was near the centre line. But no issues on the descent.

I rode up there a couple of years ago when there was snow on the ground and frost on the road, and that patch was definitely the obvious "danger zone".

Definitely ice on Stromlo this morning, I decided to do a recce in the car first and where the water runs across the road (where that dip on the left side was before they filled it), the rear wheels lit up. I ended up doing repeats from the boom gate to the speed hump.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Eep!

Caution should be taken out on East Tallagandra on the creek crossing, too. A mate went down a few weeks back on the entry coming from sutton. Stretch was about 5-10m long and near invisible. Just looks like water was splashed on the road.

After the crossing, none of us had brakes for about half an hour. Water on rims iced up.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Bloody Ice on Mt Stromlo this morning as well.

That’s the problem with this time of year. it’s a bit more dampness in the morning and with the early dawn drop in temp it’s a recipe for unpleasantness.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:24 am